header.nohb.html

Approval Of My Peers

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sometimes I like to have fun with it and have each cymbal on my set that’s from a different country: Sabian(Canada), Ufip(Italy), Paiste(Switzerland), Dream(China), Zildjian(USA), or maybe a Turkish made cymbal. In no particular order.

Last edited:

QualTech

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I understand? I choose cymbals for sound. That is all. Why would you limit yourself to one brand? Unless you have an endorsement deal, that might be the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this forum. I have four different cymbal manufacturers represented on my go-to kit, and it's because I really like the sound from each one. How far do you go with that? Am I being disloyal because I'm using a Ludwig or Rogers snare with my Gretsch kit? What about hardware? I have Gibraltar, DW, Pearl, Ludwig, and Sonor mix of hardware - am I breaking some code? Get what speaks to you, period.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I understand? I choose cymbals for sound. That is all. Why would you limit yourself to one brand? Unless you have an endorsement deal, that might be the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this forum. I have four different cymbal manufacturers represented on my go-to kit, and it's because I really like the sound from each one. How far do you go with that? Am I being disloyal because I'm using a Ludwig or Rogers snare with my Gretsch kit? What about hardware? I have Gibraltar, DW, Pearl, Ludwig, and Sonor mix of hardware - am I breaking some code? Get what speaks to you, period.

It's not hard to understand really. Most people have brand loyalty to something. It's why companies spend millions on marketing their products. I know you'll say marketing has no effect on what you buy, but it does, even if it's only subliminal. Sometimes a companies marketing can turn you on, sometimes it can turn you off, but it does have an effect.

Brand loyalty runs from cars to shoes to clothes, furniture, appliances, soda, whiskey, electronics, drums, cymbals etc, etc. I know what I like and if one company can provide that, then I'll gladly, and sometimes even proudly, be loyal to the brand. They worked for that loyalty.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's other logical issues too it's not only a loyalty/national flag/ issue... Cymbal makers or drum makers have a philosophy/ on how to do things/ that runs thru their certain series/ and what one does or achieves when using a single brand/ is blending a single voice thru out/ even tho the dimensions and thicknesses and types may vary/ all are still within that one formula/ and some people want/like/ that / they don't want or seek to avoid potential sonic distraction within their cymbal group/

you see..
Get what speaks to you, period.
that's what speaks to them
~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have to be wide enough in thought to accept all angles of everyone

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Gibraltar, DW, Pearl, Ludwig, and Sonor mix of hardware - am I breaking s
hardware has a difficult if not impossible to perceive sound aspect to be relevant
there it's usually good or bad/ holds/doesn't hold and is fixed
using a Ludwig or Rogers snare with my Gretsch kit
as opposed to using a Gretsch 6P maple/gum DC snare with a 6P maple/gum Gretsch DC set?
yes using stock Rogers or WFL snare you are introducing a different sustain, attack, other indescribable, but perceived, tone and feel textures

now if you don't mind I'm going to go hammer some BMW hubcaps on my Buick. Be right back.
Oh forgot have to install some Honda seatbelts in my Ford pickup before noon.

Last edited:

FatBoy46

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started playing drums back in like 1961 maybe, anyway, I have NEVER mixed brands of cymbals, never. I have two Sabian Ed Thigpen Crystal cymbals, one is a flat with a three rivet cluster and the other is a Crystal Ride which looks like the Sound Control pies with the flanged edge. I have never found a set of Sabian hats I like or crash(s). However I have a 16" A Thin Crash Zildjian with rivets and a set of 14" A Light hats that I love and so at this late date, I'm mixing them. What the hell! I know it is done all the time, but I would just like to have some reassurance that the world will not end because of my "transgression".
If they "play" well together-- play them..

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I started playing drums back in like 1961 maybe, anyway, I have NEVER mixed brands of cymbals, never. I have two Sabian Ed Thigpen Crystal cymbals, one is a flat with a three rivet cluster and the other is a Crystal Ride which looks like the Sound Control pies with the flanged edge. I have never found a set of Sabian hats I like or crash(s). However I have a 16" A Thin Crash Zildjian with rivets and a set of 14" A Light hats that I love and so at this late date, I'm mixing them. What the hell! I know it is done all the time, but I would just like to have some reassurance that the world will not end because of my "transgression".
I wonder how many of us has actually, for real, NOT ever felt that way???

I can do it, I have, and when I was a kid used to always have my 22" Paiste Fo 602 ride, and Zildjian crashes, hats and swish stuff. That's "what I had", so...

Here's something (maybe) "weird"---
I could have mixed cymbals, or even head types (coated/clear) on a gig, and if it sounded good when I played it, it wouldn't bug me in the least.
BUT, if it was AT HOME, where I'm LOOKING AT IT... nope.
Haha!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I perfect (work on pour over develop) at home I take to the gig.

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can do a separate snare and mix hardware, but cymbals are a different story, but I’m going to try it.

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I said I was going to try, but I’m going to try a set of all Armands first. Lol

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said I was going to try, but I’m going to try a set of all Armands first. Lol
Ah ha! So you’ll be taking me up on my offer to swap those hideous Thigpen rides out for a FREE pair of Armand rides of your choosing? How kind and super smart of you for seeing the error of your ways.

Please respond with your mailing address. I’ll have my courier pick up the Sabians and take them directly to the recycling center for you. No problem or hassle for you.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never in my life heard anything bad about mixing cymbal brands. I do it all the time.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You bought them, they’re your cymbals now. Not zildjian or sabians

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
well if you take a Tree say a pine tree and the branches from the top an 8" splash down to the bottom a 24" or 26" ride all those cymbals- on that tree- are of- a family

So you take a 22" branch from one tree and put it with say a 14" 18" and 16" from -another tree.

And the sequence.. even the Sound Sequence is broken
however mixing Avedis with Sabian- you could even add your old K Zildjian and still be Zildjian.
Isn’t this how they graft trees jd? Lol

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use to stay brand loyal with cymbals. But then I realized I like all cymbals and some sound good with others I have a zildjian in the mix with paiste. Hardware tho all dw all the time.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ain't no shame in mixed cymbal brands.
Old, new, high end and entry-level, etc...
It's about Your sound and style.

Mixing cymbal brands is not a sin.
On the contrary, it shows that you
like to explore and expand your sound
beyond tradition.
Break the norm, substance without form.

And if you wanna maintain all your
cymbals consistently under a single
brand name of choice, that's fine too.

Whatever floats your boat. :thumbleft:

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With some seriousness, you may be a victim of branding. Almost all cymbals are hunks of the same metal--even the artisan makers often start with the same blanks--that are lathed and hammered. Often, the only things that distinguish them are the inks and the marketing departments. Unless you have an endorsement deal, it makes no difference what company or person made them.

I confess to being something of a Zildjian man, although even in my early days played a Paiste 602 along with the Zildjians. Currently I have a Mehmet and a Diril along with my Zildjians.

A wrinkle in this that I've never been famous enough to know for certain is that I suspect that drummers could find all the cymbals they want from the same company if they had an endorsement deal and had to. That is, I bet almost every company has a wide enough range of cymbals for almost every drummer to find a set that suits them. The problem for most of us without endorsement deals is that we end up buying cymbals we like when we stumble on them rather than paying retail at one manufacturer. You could therefore I think have the same brand of cymbals all around if you wanted to, but why would you want to? Actually, I'd almost be embarrassed to have all my cymbals from the same company, as if I'm a sucker of the marketing department--unless of course I had an endorsement deal.