header.nohb.html

Apps for charts on stage?

Melllermick

Reaction score
Wondering what iPad apps and how people are using them for having charts on stage? I would ideally like to be able to arrange charts in order and have the app give me a few bars of the tempo.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ForScore.

Set lists functionality, built-in metronome (visual and/or audible), can even fire midi commands.

Strong recommend.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bandhelper. You manage charts, band memebrs, midi, audio, Setlist, songs, sync with pedals wifi to turn pages, roll down at the specific speed and the most impirtant, the personalized customer service is over the charts!!

Band helper by Arlo leach. All devices

Reaction score
Adobe PDF with a blank sheet and edit options so you can write the charts yourself.

Otherwise ForScore if you want more options.

But that being said.

Even for someone like me who loves tech, I find it hard to use in a simple, inventive way.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll be reading this thread as I also need an iPad or equivalent in an 8.5x11 so I can ditch the drum book which has over 130 charts. I'm hesitant to buy apple due to the price. Even used is fine.

I need to be able to make and save notes on the chart. A visual/audio metronome is a must. Being able to create a set list easily and a hands free page turn option.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be reading this thread as I also need an iPad or equivalent in an 8.5x11 so I can ditch the drum book which has over 130 charts. I'm hesitant to buy apple due to the price. Even used is fine.

I need to be able to make and save notes on the chart. A visual/audio metronome is a must. Being able to create a set list easily and a hands free page turn option.
Not to be a broken record, but ForScore does all those very well. Great integration with Apple Pencil. Two finger tap to start metronome, tempo saved with each song. Visual / audible / both metronome. You can store multiple set lists. In set list mode, Bluetooth pedals will step through songs in set list order (and handle multi page charts as you’d expect). It has more advanced stuff under the hood, too. You can send midi pc and cc messages per song. I have it change to the correct patches in my multipad and keyboard.

It also has a built in web server, so you can connect your iPad to your computer and do your editing in your web browser. Sometimes I’ll need to add 20-30 songs at a time and rather than importing and adding/editing all the metadata on the iPad virtual keyboard, I can do it on a computer with tons of real estate and a real keyboard. Is_tremendously_ useful.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Adobe PDF with a blank sheet and edit options so you can write the charts yourself.

Otherwise ForScore if you want more options.

But that being said.

Even for someone like me who loves tech, I find it hard to use in a simple, inventive way.
I know, I still have my book in front on me for keys, I know them by heart but just in case...The ipad, sends all the program changes for my keys and for the drumboxes and drum modules so, the drummer received, click, claps, hihats etc if he wants, from the drumboxex in his IEM...I will be able to not have a book when I will have a 12,9" Ipad, it's the same size as a letter size so, good enough for my eyes...
But if you manage some sounds with an electronic kit and or some sounds module, having program changes is the rolls royce...

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to be a broken record, but ForScore does all those very well. Great integration with Apple Pencil. Two finger tap to start metronome, tempo saved with each song. Visual / audible / both metronome. You can store multiple set lists. In set list mode, Bluetooth pedals will step through songs in set list order (and handle multi page charts as you’d expect). It has more advanced stuff under the hood, too. You can send midi pc and cc messages per song. I have it change to the correct patches in my multipad and keyboard.

It also has a built in web server, so you can connect your iPad to your computer and do your editing in your web browser. Sometimes I’ll need to add 20-30 songs at a time and rather than importing and adding/editing all the metadata on the iPad virtual keyboard, I can do it on a computer with tons of real estate and a real keyboard. Is_tremendously_ useful.
Yes, bandhelper do that too, so, it's just a matter for you, I know Forscore started as a charts program while bandhelper started as a setlist program...If you could have the developers of Forscore directly by email, that's good too but you will still have to do a little bit of work, as said, you have to prepare what is in the ipad on your computer anyway...
Well, they are all very good for that, you could even get your click on when you start the songs in clicking on it and yo could have the audio played while the score scroll down at the correct speed synced to the tempo...But for that, I prefer my book...or a large display, well, I bought snares these days instead of accessories for it as we don,t gig anymire but I have around 400 songs classic and alt rock in one band and 300 songs in my second band in it???
Plus i have the same infos in dropbox for people who don,t like tech like my guitarist, they preferred to print or look, one by one....
And I print a set up for them even if i have the Band subscription of 50$ per year with bandhelper...
Bandhelper was named setlist maker before. bad I have no personal interest in the Cie, it's just that I know him better than forscore so, I could tell you more about it...The website for both Apps is great though to check what they do.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BandHelper is great. We’ve been using it for about 6 yrs now. Everything in one app. Including lighted click. Everybody in the band has the app on phone or iPad. You synch up before the gig and go

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, bandhelper do that too, so, it's just a matter for you, I know Forscore started as a charts program while bandhelper started as a setlist program...If you could have the developers of Forscore directly by email, that's good too but you will still have to do a little bit of work, as said, you have to prepare what is in the ipad on your computer anyway...
Well, they are all very good for that, you could even get your click on when you start the songs in clicking on it and yo could have the audio played while the score scroll down at the correct speed synced to the tempo...But for that, I prefer my book...or a large display, well, I bought snares these days instead of accessories for it as we don,t gig anymire but I have around 400 songs classic and alt rock in one band and 300 songs in my second band in it???
Plus i have the same infos in dropbox for people who don,t like tech like my guitarist, they preferred to print or look, one by one....
And I print a set up for them even if i have the Band subscription of 50$ per year with bandhelper...
Bandhelper was named setlist maker before. bad I have no personal interest in the Cie, it's just that I know him better than forscore so, I could tell you more about it...The website for both Apps is great though to check what they do.
Yup -- BandHelper is very powerful! To me, it's doing too much, and I'm not a huge fan of their interface. But it's definitely a very capable app!

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup -- BandHelper is very powerful! To me, it's doing too much, and I'm not a huge fan of their interface. But it's definitely a very capable app!
They changed the interface recently, super nice, all colourful. At the beginning I was just using it for set list, then added the charts and the recording in it to practice from one device.
Then, big midi stuff, I think he told me (Arlo Leach) that I might one the only one to use it this way:

I don't trust computers live because they will crash and I wanted to do all without backing tracks.

So, I have around 6 synths plus 6 modules plus the voice live rack Tc helicon and 2 drumboxes.
All connected to an old Roland midi patchbay 8in/8out A880

So, each one has a midi channel dedicated and I have created per song a midi program change so that anytime I click on the song, it sends a midi Program Change to all synths and modules...from the ipad, the ipad has its dedicated in and out on the A880...
But, I need to put all the synths in "listening mode" from the ipad so, in fact, having the ipad sending program changes to all...One IN to all OUT on the A880.

Because the A880 can have memories and program changes as well. I named one program "Ipad to all" and then, in this position, the ipad is connected through the A880 to everyone...
I attached this Program Change to each song and asks Bandhelper to send first the "Ipad to all" program and then the program changes for all synths...Are you still here? Then, I wanted to have any keyboards to play any modules or other synths so, on some songs, I needed the "stage 2" to control the "Roland D50" and the "Prophet 08" and the C2 Organ to control as well the Matrix 1000...
So how do I do that? With Raw Midi which is the hexadecimal for sending a program change...Then, I just enter in the A880 one configuration for each song and the Raw midi is sent last...And I have in one click, said to my set up:
1) A880, put yourself in the position that the ipad talks to everyone
2) Ipad, send the program changes for each synths or modules that I use for this song
3) A 880, put your self in the configuration I need for this specific song so, I just have to put my hands on the keys and play

It takes 1 second...Off course, it changes as well the drumboxes that gives the claps and the metronome for the drummer...I have even all other ipads I provide to the other members synched with me so, the setlist is the same but the charts that appear to them while the song is selected is only their chart...I have all of them but the first one to appear is keys, but for the bassist, it's his bass chart and the drawing of the pedalboard with which pedal do what...

And do on, I could even have a track starting with the song and having some Prg Chge during the song but I prefer to switch keys, easier for me...

Ok, so, few schematics that I always do for me and for each memeber, so, they just have to focus on the song, they even have settings we worked on per song for the pedalboard and for the bass, with what bass to use, position of the pots etc...

So, keys first:
Midi connection A.png

Midi and audio connection Tascam Mixer Bis.png

Audio connections of the 2 racks.png

Audio and Midi connection between Rack 8U and rack 6U.png

Midi and audio connection Tascam Mixer Bis.png

And the Memories for the A880 Midi patchbay:
A880 patchbay for memories and configuration per song.png

And Connections between all boards and IEM for Keys and Drums:
Details Monitors settings for drums and Keys.png

Last edited:

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And what you could prepare with Bandhelper, Setlist. The songs are colored, most of them are in red because they are the most danceable that I had entered when playing in a rock band and thus, when I stared my Funk/Dance band, well, they wre all red.
Plus the first page of our 2 pages brochure:
Setlist SET 1.png

Setlist SET 2.png

Setlist SET 3.png

Setlist Encore.png

And a setlist we offer to do live Karaoke, People choose them in Advance and we make sure we have them sharp:
Setlist Karaoke 1.png

Setlist Karaoke 2.png

And the Stage Plot for my Technicien or the ones with the venue, at least they know it all before we come:
Stage Plot.png

And the brochure, we always give a glassy brochure, as everyone is on line only, we are, of course too:
Brochure V10 page 1 en Jpeg.JPG

Another brochure with some other, younger players, with my Daughter on my left, I'm number 7 form the left, she's number 6:
Brochure bis with my daughter.png

Last edited:

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And last, what I prepare for the guitarist and bassist, the basses, guityars and pedalboard are mine, here in the studio/practice place:

Guitar pedalboard connections:
guitar Pedalboard Connections.png

Bass pedalboard connections:
Bass pedalboard connections.png

Settings by default on pedalboard:
Basic Guitar pedalboard Settings.png

Settings per song:
Pedals for Get Lucky and all Funk Songs.png
Pedals for I got a feeling.png

Settings of each bass:
Bass setting per song.png
Ibanez setting per song.png

And connection for Drums IEM:
Drummer IEM Set Up.png

So, I know, with a full digital board, it could be easier but I had all the boards (Or bought them for 400$ to 600$ for the Mackie Onyx) so, as we have played a little bit but after Covid, it went down, i'm happy not to have invested too much on a new digital board...