Aquarian American Vintage vs. Remo Classic Fit Drumheads

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to find out before making the actual purchase, what would be a better bet- The Aquarian American Vintage head vs. Remo Classic fit for an early 60's Gretsch Round Badge Drum that is an extremely tight fit (see photo with notch cut). The Remo head is a tad more expensive, don't know why.... Tried the Evans 360, but the fit is still way too tight. Let me know what you think....

Attachments

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I havent tried the Remo, Im waiting till I rewrap my Gretsch kit to get them. I tried the Aquarian but I dont like it. For now I have a Earthtone calf on it with a cut collar.
Love it!
Lets see some pics

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to comment on your kick drum but Remo classic heads are exactly what I was waiting so long for I.e. my faveorite snare head- a Remo coated ambassador. ( they do fiberskin also) they fit VERY easy onto my 40s radio king, don't know if the shell got even bigger but when I took the Aquarian vintage off to put this on it was still very slightly tight removing it, but not to bad, but I prefer the brighter remo head reasoning that it projects through the band better. The drum has opened up a lot better it's never sounded as good. . So yes the remo Classic fit is my favourite I will not use any other now on that oversize snare.- even though I did have to buy a replacement replica hoop as the original one was a bit out of round, you see the aluminium collar on the classic fit is narrower so my old hoop was slipping over it a bit so couldn't tune easy.

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried an Aquarian Modern Vintage head on my roundbadge snare and it was a no-go. I could have made it work with a rubber mallet, but I'm not going that route. I'm ordering a set of Remo classic fit heads next week. Fingers crossed.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've tried the Aquarian products and they never fit my vintage snare drums. I've had good luck with Evans Level 360, but the new Remo Classic Fit, with its narrow hoop, should be the perfect head...especially for many of our wrapped Gretsch kits!

-Mark

Mark

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Remo Classic Fit heads are AMAZING! The Aquarian vintage heads are useless on drums that are oversized. I dont even know why they market them that way.

R

RickP

Mark said:
Remo Classic Fit heads are AMAZING! The Aquarian vintage heads are useless on drums that are oversized. I dont even know why they market them that way.
The Aquarian American Vintage heads are oversized. The Modern Vintage heads are not. Your comment can be misconstrued for people unaware that there are two different Aquarian Vintage heads. The Aquarian American Vintage heads will fit on Vintage Gretsch drums. The Modern Vintage being similar to Modern heads made today will not.

https://www.aquariandrumheads.com/product/american-vintage-series/

One thing to note, if the wrap is cut back like Gretsch currently does on their current drums, the shorter collar of the Aquarian heads will not completely cover up the bare wood, like Remo and Evans with their taller collars.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using Aquarian Super 2 clear batters on my vintage Gretsch kit.............all have fit well except one.
The first two fittings on the 18 inch FT were just fine.................but the most recent is so tight -- too much.
The point is......................doesn't seem to me that all diameters are completely consistent.

Funktosterone

Reaction score
I used both Aquarian American Vintage and the more recent Remo Classic fit heads on my Gretsch Round badge kits. I have Aquarian American Vintage mediums top and bottom on toms and American Vintage with built in felt strip on bass drum reso and sometimes batter. The built in "tone control" of the Gretsch Round badge bass drum already provides felt muffling for the batter head. I must say that it took some getting used to, but they really do sing if you're halfway skilled at tuning. The Aquarian American vintage collar fits very nicely on both of my round badge kits. No problems at all with fit - not snug. They tune up very easily - at least in the medium high range that I use for jazz. I will say that they are not as "open" sounding as your standard remo head. They're more controlled, less overtones, but certainly not choked. Like I said, it took some getting used to. Coincidentally, I've started adding Aquarian texture coated heads to some of my other modern snares, because I dig the sound and feel and the brushes LOVE them.

I recently experimented with the Remo classic fit on the batters of two of my round badge snares. Great fit - not snug. Tuned up easily. I was expecting more of a wetter, more open sound, but what I heard sounded a bit subdued and dry. I haven't tried them on the toms yet, but that's my next test. "Meh" was my conclusion. Nice to have another option on the market but at the higher price point, and the fact that the coating wears off faster when doing brush work, I'll likely stick with Aquarian.

In the future I may try the Aquarian American Vintage thins on my tom reso sides to maybe open them up a bit, but I'm pretty happy with the overall sound from the kit. They record beautifully. After all, it IS a round badge kit, so I'm not expecting it to sound like a Sonor SQ2. Apples and oranges, right.? Round badge kits are sort of boxy and dry by nature, but that's THE sound of 50/60s jazz.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No experience with the Remo...but use and kinda love the Aquarian American and Modern Heads....in fact when i recently one a head from Remo I picked up a modern vintage BD head to try on a W/A that is not over sized....haven't tried it yet.

swabon

Reaction score
I use Remo classic fit for my cloud badge 6. 5x 14 Radio King.
Fits perfectly and sounds and tunes great!

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback and info everyone....I ordered the Remo Classic Fit from bad person with the 17% off coupon ....

ndmusic

Reaction score
I used both Aquarian American Vintage and the more recent Remo Classic fit heads on my Gretsch Round badge kits.
Hi Funktosterone, or anyone
Can you tell me which of the two heads has the bigger overall diameter?
I've tried the Remo classic fit on my slingerland 16" Tom. It fits well on the drum but my hoop is too large so it slips away when i tighten it. They made the head rim thinner so the overall size is the same as regular heads. I'm looking for a head that is slighlty bigger but still has a thick rim. Does the aquarian has that? Is the overall size sligtly bigger than the remo?
thanks for your help.
andy

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried an Aquarian Modern Vintage head on my roundbadge snare and it was a no-go. I could have made it work with a rubber mallet, but I'm not going that route. I'm ordering a set of Remo classic fit heads next week. Fingers crossed.
You shouldve went with the American Vintage not Modern. Modern vintage are the same heads but for Modern drums. The American Vintage are oversized for vintage drums

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used both Aquarian American Vintage and the more recent Remo Classic fit heads on my Gretsch Round badge kits. I have Aquarian American Vintage mediums top and bottom on toms and American Vintage with built in felt strip on bass drum reso and sometimes batter. The built in "tone control" of the Gretsch Round badge bass drum already provides felt muffling for the batter head. I must say that it took some getting used to, but they really do sing if you're halfway skilled at tuning. The Aquarian American vintage collar fits very nicely on both of my round badge kits. No problems at all with fit - not snug. They tune up very easily - at least in the medium high range that I use for jazz. I will say that they are not as "open" sounding as your standard remo head. They're more controlled, less overtones, but certainly not choked. Like I said, it took some getting used to. Coincidentally, I've started adding Aquarian texture coated heads to some of my other modern snares, because I dig the sound and feel and the brushes LOVE them.

I recently experimented with the Remo classic fit on the batters of two of my round badge snares. Great fit - not snug. Tuned up easily. I was expecting more of a wetter, more open sound, but what I heard sounded a bit subdued and dry. I haven't tried them on the toms yet, but that's my next test. "Meh" was my conclusion. Nice to have another option on the market but at the higher price point, and the fact that the coating wears off faster when doing brush work, I'll likely stick with Aquarian.

In the future I may try the Aquarian American Vintage thins on my tom reso sides to maybe open them up a bit, but I'm pretty happy with the overall sound from the kit. They record beautifully. After all, it IS a round badge kit, so I'm not expecting it to sound like a Sonor SQ2. Apples and oranges, right.? Round badge kits are sort of boxy and dry by nature, but that's THE sound of 50/60s jazz.
I have much experience w/Am Vints on vintage Gretsch and other drums. Continue your line of inquiry: Get Am Vint THINS for batter side toms and snare - the drums will open right up, and they last forever (especially the "coating"), just like the Mediums.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Remo classic did the trick
.finally.
Nice to hear, but have they fixed their coating problems, as in it wears out in a few days if you play brushes on them?

Anybody else have experience with this?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Modern Vintage are standard sized, only the AMERICAN vintage is oversized. Not sure why they did that but it's easy to get the wrong one, especially when ordering online, and then they won't fit.

I bought a new Evans Calftone for a RB 20" bass drum figuring that with the new level 360 design it would fit (they seem to work on toms just fine) but there was no way it would go on so I had to order an Aquarian American Vintage which did fit. I'm not really a fan of the look of those as a bass reso so I want to get the Remo but so far haven't found anyone who has the classic fit bass heads in stock in Fiberskyn, at least not the last time I checked.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tried the Aquarian American Vintage and the Remo Classic Fit on oversized 70s Gretsch drums and modern, undersized drums. I first tried the Aquarians years ago after rave reviews here. They fit the Gretsch drums OK, but I wasn't impressed with the sound. I seemed to be the only one on this forum who didn't like the sound, so I went back to ordering Gretsch Permatone heads and waiting for weeks, sometimes months, to get them. I preferred the sound of those, which were basically oversized Remo Ambassadors. Then when the Remo Classic Fit heads came out, I tried those, and have never looked back. They are my go-to head for all my drums right now (except bass drums).

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tried the Aquarian American Vintage and the Remo Classic Fit on oversized 70s Gretsch drums and modern, undersized drums. I first tried the Aquarians years ago after rave reviews here. They fit the Gretsch drums OK, but I wasn't impressed with the sound. I seemed to be the only one on this forum who didn't like the sound, so I went back to ordering Gretsch Permatone heads and waiting for weeks, sometimes months, to get them. I preferred the sound of those, which were basically oversized Remo Ambassadors. Then when the Remo Classic Fit heads came out, I tried those, and have never looked back. They are my go-to head for all my drums right now (except bass drums).
If Gretsch Permatones were larger than standard Remos, why was Gretsch leaving a large unwrapped gap on their shells?