Aquarian DeJohnette Drum Heads

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow those drums get any better-looking you're going to have to play them out. wow.
or invite folks over.
I forgot about those heads...was thinking of the black pinstripe (eww) Remoids.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow those drums get any better-looking you're going to have to play them out. wow.
or invite folks over.
I forgot about those heads...was thinking of the black pinstripe (eww) Remoids.
My set can be your backline kit Joe!

Apparently, these heads have been out for about 20 years I believe. I'm surprised more guys haven't talked them up around here. Highly recommend.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's one of the best pictures anyone's ever posted imo.

(Jimmy's drums)

you didn't get the bass drum did you?
After seeing those I may consider those heads. Next 10+/- years or so,

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's one of the best pictures anyone's ever posted imo.

(Jimmy's drums)

you didn't get the bass drum did you?
After seeing those I may consider those heads. Next 10+/- years or so,
That's really high praise brother! These heads certainly does make those shells pop.

Give em a shot Joe, they'd dress your Gretsch kit real nicely I think, and sound good while doing it! Don't wait 10 years, 18 months tops!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a lesson learned here, no matter how good you think the drumheads that came on your new kit are, in my case USA made Remo's, Ambassador clones, they're simply not as good as aftermarket heads. I'm not sure if they cut corners or they're differences in production, but they lack something. For one thing, they were tough to tune properly. These DeJohnette heads are a big jump in sound, control and tone and they tune right up. I tried to convince myself that the stock heads sounded good, but I was never really happy with the sound. Deep down I knew these shells could sound better.

I am now thinking of getting one for the batter side of my BD. I still have the stock head on it.

KillinBill66

Reaction score
I had some years ago and the black coating came off onto my sticks and transferred to my cymbals.

Loved the sound but would not purchase again based on that experience

JazzDoc

Reaction score
Wow, so I just put the DeJohnette heads on and what a difference. My toms sound amazing. Perfectly controlled resonance and sustain, especially on the floor tom. No wonkiness. Just a really solid pleasing thump with a nice hint of resonance. No out of control ringing or dissonance. Very nice on the ears. My 13" Ludwig piccolo seems more alive (articulate?)now as well and less boxy and shallow. And all of this with just a quick tuning. I haven't touched the resonance heads at all. They also look great on my kit. I didn't try my brushes, but I'm sure they're going to sound amazing with that rough coating.

One thing I do see is some white marks on the FT already. But they do come right off.

I've tried a lot of drum heads, and all sounded a little different from each other, but these are at another level. The difference is pretty big here. They have really brought out the best in my drums. View attachment 524630
The Aquarian DeJohnettes are great heads. I always keep some around, especially the 14”s. I especially like them on selected snare drums.

They add “guts” to snare drums which could use a bit less ring and more “bottom” or “punch”.
They feel to me more like coated Emperors than Ambassadors. They are sensitive and responsive and have great rebound.

I haven’t found any flattening of the tone over time at all. They take a beating well and sound superb with brushes.

The lighter stick marks on them are no more disagreeable to me than the dark shadows and marks on white coated heads.
The darkening of wooden stick tips is no different with the DeJohnettes than occurs with white coated heads. That coloration is transferred from the cymbals, in my opinion.

Aesthetically, I think they look cool they visually separate the nucleus of the drumset from the toms.

I ordinarily use Remo coateds on my drum batters (snares and toms), but in the snare drum situations I mentioned above, these are the cure.

Get ‘em!

Butch1970

Reaction score
I've never personally tried the DeJohnette heads but I do remember them sounding nice on a drummer's 90's Slingerland kit back at UNT.

How do the DeJohnette's compare to the Modern Vintage heads? Both seem like they have a fairly thick and durable coating (as do most coated Aquarians).

JazzDoc

Reaction score
I've never personally tried the DeJohnette heads but I do remember them sounding nice on a drummer's 90's Slingerland kit back at UNT.

How do the DeJohnette's compare to the Modern Vintage heads? Both seem like they have a fairly thick and durable coating (as do most coated Aquarians).
I feel that the Modern Vintage heads are "dulled" compared to the DeJ's. - less feeling of higher frequency. Bit stiffer to the stick. They are warm sounding as are the DeJohnettes but the latter doesn't seem to cut off the brights as much it introduces a feeling of depth and "gut". Just my 2 cents.