Aquarian Modern Vintage Drumheads

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the description I do think the American is an oversized version of the Modern and the same otherwise. Can you tell me if the texture rough like a coated Ambassador, or smooth like the Fiberskyns? I do like Fiberskyns, but, they delaminate, especially on snare. Thanks!
I had the same delam problems with the fiberskyns and consequently disliked them. The coating on the Vintages aren’t as rough as the Ambassadors, but they are much more durable. They are rougher than the Renaissance heads

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan. If I'm going for a "vintage" sounding head, it's these every time. Can't stand the bubbling that other heads, which shall remain nameless, show after just moderate play.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm post#23. look yellow must be the American....

If someone told me the Modern Vintage and the American Vintage - apart from the outside diameters and how shall we say 'color' - were the only differences- I'd be shocked I tell you shocked.

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

If someone told me the Modern Vintage and the American Vintage - apart from the outside diameters and how shall we say 'color' - were the only differences- I'd be shocked I tell you shocked.
Yup

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I’ve used the Modern and American at the same time (different kits), and they were identical except for the diameter. Maybe that’s changed recently , but here is a shot of a Modern I bought a couple of years ago.

F2CFA18D-9B0D-488A-BB7B-EBA3C3E6B17F.jpeg

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using a mix of Modern and American Vintage heads on toms for more than 15 years, and love them. They last a long time and have a great sound. On my snare drum I prefer their Texture Coated heads, but will use a Vintage if I want a little more warmth in its sound. I play rock, small group jazz, and big band jazz, and they always perform.

Browny

Reaction score
I tried the American Vintage versions on my oversized Radio kings and didn't like them. They didn't fit that well, was still really tight on the shells, and the large Aquarian hoop didn't seem to agree with my single flange hoops.

It might also be that the '47 RK shells with their big, fat baseball bat edges in combination with the AAV's more 'calf like' qualities was too much when combined. I got some Remo Classic Fit Ambassadors (coated over clear) once they came out and I could find a dealer in Australia who had imported some and they're bang on.

A little less important but I didn't like the AAV colour either. Give me the classic white coated look, thanks.

I've still got the AAV heads lying around out the back, maybe I'll give them another shot and compare to the RCFA heads.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I like every AmVint and ModVint batter I've tried, but I've only used them on snare drums so far.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our guitarist has Am Vintage on his kit and I've rehearsed a bit on it. The coating is bullet proof but the thing that strikes me most is the feel. The film they use seems more rubbery than mylar. Easy to sink into for funk n rock stuff at medium-low tunings.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried the American Vintage versions on my oversized Radio kings and didn't like them. They didn't fit that well, was still really tight on the shells, and the large Aquarian hoop didn't seem to agree with my single flange hoops.

It might also be that the '47 RK shells with their big, fat baseball bat edges in combination with the AAV's more 'calf like' qualities was too much when combined. I got some Remo Classic Fit Ambassadors (coated over clear) once they came out and I could find a dealer in Australia who had imported some and they're bang on.

A little less important but I didn't like the AAV colour either. Give me the classic white coated look, thanks.

I've still got the AAV heads lying around out the back, maybe I'll give them another shot and compare to the RCFA heads.
FYI, I would think that 47’ Radii Kings were originally fitted with genuine calf heads. I do ‘t think mylar drumheads existed at that time.

Browny

Reaction score
FYI, I would think that 47’ Radii Kings were originally fitted with genuine calf heads. I do ‘t think mylar drumheads existed at that time.
Yeah, they would have been calf, but I'm not trying to replicate the exact setup when they were sold. I've got pearl ISO feet on the floor tom so it isn't completely dead, DW hoop mount spurs do it doesn't roll around and slide everywhere, swapped the two bottom T-rods out with 'normal' tension rods so my pedal fits, and I'm playing 'modern' heads. I play loud stuff and here in Melbourne the weather is all over the shop. Today it's 20deg and 74% humidity, yesterday was about 30deg and 50%, Friday was about 36deg and 15%.

Last edited by a moderator:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our guitarist has Am Vintage on his kit and I've rehearsed a bit on it. The coating is bullet proof but the thing that strikes me most is the feel. The film they use seems more rubbery than mylar. Easy to sink into for funk n rock stuff at medium-low tunings.
At a NAMM show in the mid-90s I had an opportunity to play a snare drum that had been custom-made by John Aldridge, with a solid walnut shell and maple reinforcing hoops. It was fitted with an American Vintage head (the first one I'd ever seen) and playing that drum felt more like playing a drum with a calfskin head than any other plastic-headed drum I've ever played. The drum had such a welcoming feel that the sticks just seemed to sink slightly into the head — a feel I recalled from the calfskin-headed Ludwig Zephyr drumkit I had when I was a teenager.

In addition to its wonderful feel the drum sounded gorgeous, — dry, dark tone with good "bite". I tried to buy it from John but he had built it on spec for someone who had already paid for it.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
They are supposed to look and feel like calfskin, that's why the color. A light eggnog shade. When I spoke to Roy Burns about them around 15 years ago, he told me the coating on any head is just a specially formulated paint, and the color was a matter of choice. The American Vints are larger to fit on older Gretsch drums, etc. , the Modern Vints are the same in other respects. I have them on one kit and they sound good to me, very warm. Great on a snare for small room trio work, brushes.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got one on my classic wood snare with yamaha style wood hoops. Great combo. Like others have said for traditional brushes you'd have to lightly sand. The coating wears great! Years ago I posted a similar question about brushes on Aquarian heads and Roy Burns joined the forum to answer my question. Such a class act and I'll forever use Aquarians (unless DW buys them)....mostly because they are my favorite sound and they last forever, but also because of Roy Burns. The company also seems to be in good hands still.