header.nohb.html

Aquarian Super 2's

fun2drum

Team DFO
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
bodinski said:
...it "clicks" when tensioning up, as thought the head is gripping the shell.
This click thing is interesting to me. Does it have some kind of ridges under the collar that would "click" as it pulls past a sharp bearing edge? That would explain the idea of locking it in, and also the lack of a click if the bearing edge were more rounded.

torydrum

One of the old farts...
Reaction score
I assume the Super 2's are two ply. what mil thickness are they? Currently have Am Vintage on my 60's Slingerlands. Anyone using the Super 2 on vintage kits?

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fun 2 Drum said:
...it "clicks" when tensioning up, as thought the head is gripping the shell.
This click thing is interesting to me. Does it have some kind of ridges under the collar that would "click" as it pulls past a sharp bearing edge? That would explain the idea of locking it in, and also the lack of a click if the bearing edge were more rounded.
I have them on my INDes so the edge is round over. So far I I like em a lot. I only have about 3 hours of playing on them. They're awesome heads. I went from Remo Emporers to these.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
torydrum said:
I assume the Super 2's are two ply. what mil thickness are they? Currently have Am Vintage on my 60's Slingerlands. Anyone using the Super 2 on vintage kits?
Directly from their site: Super-2 Drumheads A New Kind Of Two Ply Head: They have great attack, projection and depth unlike any other drumheads. The patented Safe-T-Loc hoop prevents the head from slipping and the Sound Curve collar design provides Responsive Tuning. With Responsive Tuning, one turn of the drum key and Super-2 heads react. Made with a 7 mil ply and 5 mil ply configuration.

Clear: Wet attack, lots of bottom end and depth.

Coated: Mellow, warm full sound.

Clear With Power Dot: Focused, deep and solid.

Clear With Studio-X Ring: Focused, warm and punchy.

I also have AV on my vintage kit.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm also using Super 2s over Classic Clears.
Previously, I was running Super 2s over clear Ambos......................no differences.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
VintageUSA said:
I'm also using Super 2s over Classic Clears.
Previously, I was running Super 2s over clear Ambos......................no differences.
That's great to know. I was wondering about this. Saved me some time and money. Thank You

R

RickP

Tomb said:
for those that have tried them, how do you like the Response 2 compared to the Super 2
I believe the R2 is like the emperor (2) 7 mil plies

The Response 2 is like the Remo Emperor in construction.

I love the coated Response 2 for tom batters. It sounds great on my Yamaha PHX kit . The PHX is Uber resonant and very deep and full sounding. The Response 2 heads are an excellent choice for these drums. I had a similar experience with a Yamaha Recording Custom kit I had previously owned. The Response 2 worked well with that kit too.

R

RickP

swarfrat said:
Too bad the dots don't come in black.
Interesting you mention the dot colour. I find that Remo CS snare batters with the white dot sound different than those with the black dot.
Personally I far prefer the sound of the white dot Remo CS to the black dot.

Aquarian uses a fabric dot that flexes better with the head and has better stick Response than the Mylar dot Remo uses.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm very interested in hearing the difference - and strongly suspect the fabric dot might be superior. But I still can't get past the idea of white dots.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After reading this thread I bought Super 2 coated for my 12 and 13 Ludwig toms (vintage 1972). I had clear Pins for the batters and clear Evans EC Resos (haven't changed the resos). I found the Super 2 heads much easier to tune. They are more articulate when hit lightly compared to the Pins. They also feel like they are tighter and have more bounce even though I wound up at a similar drum dial setting of about 74 for a similar pitch. I gave up a little volume and they have less low-end "bark" in favor of a more refined tone if that makes any sense. My 13 required a Drum Dot for dampening with the Pins but not needed with the Super 2. I previously had coated Emperors and had a hard time getting them dialed in on these drums which is why a used Pins for a while. Anyway, I'm sold!

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
PeterK said:
After reading this thread I bought Super 2 coated for my 12 and 13 Ludwig toms (vintage 1972). I had clear Pins for the batters and clear Evans EC Resos (haven't changed the resos). I found the Super 2 heads much easier to tune. They are more articulate when hit lightly compared to the Pins. They also feel like they are tighter and have more bounce even though I wound up at a similar drum dial setting of about 74 for a similar pitch. I gave up a little volume and they have less low-end "bark" in favor of a more refined tone if that makes any sense. My 13 required a Drum Dot for dampening with the Pins but not needed with the Super 2. I previously had coated Emperors and had a hard time getting them dialed in on these drums which is why a used Pins for a while. Anyway, I'm sold!
I went from clear Emporers to the Coated Super 2s. I was getting a Timpani type sound with the Remos. I tried many different tunings and was not happy. The Super 2s for me also seem easier to tune and the tone is much warmer while still providing good attack. Little less volume as you mentioned, but yes a more articulate tone. So let me ask you, did you notice the clicking while tuning ?

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I heard a little clicking is small increments that reminded me of the head grabbing the bearing edge as I have heard with othe heads. I didn't get the impression it was locking in anything. I did notice that the heads did not stretch much after doing "CPR" on them during the initial stages of tuning. This is the first time I have ever noticed this in any head - I think this fact contributed to the ease of tuning. I have struggled with finding the sweet spot with these toms over the 13 years I have owned them. Had the edges redone by Bill Detamore, didn't help much. These heads were the easiest to tune ever. The toms sound like they should for a vintage kit. I shouldn't be too surprised, the bass drum has an Aquarian Super Kick 10, Ludwig medium reso with felt strip, no other muffling, and it sounds awesome - even with chewed up edges on the reso side. I am now an Aquarian fan-boy.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
PeterK said:
I heard a little clicking is small increments that reminded me of the head grabbing the bearing edge as I have heard with othe heads. I didn't get the impression it was locking in anything. I did notice that the heads did not stretch much after doing "CPR" on them during the initial stages of tuning. This is the first time I have ever noticed this in any head - I think this fact contributed to the ease of tuning. I have struggled with finding the sweet spot with these toms over the 13 years I have owned them. Had the edges redone by Bill Detamore, didn't help much. These heads were the easiest to tune ever. The toms sound like they should for a vintage kit. I shouldn't be too surprised, the bass drum has an Aquarian Super Kick 10, Ludwig medium reso with felt strip, no other muffling, and it sounds awesome - even with chewed up edges on the reso side. I am now an Aquarian fan-boy.
After having these on for a few weeks now and breaking them in, these heads are great. I did some minor tuning adjustments over the weekend and I really like the tone I am getting. The attack is still really good for coated heads, and they tune so easily. Just as Peter stated these heads tune very easy. I honestly don't think I would go back to Remo at this point.