Aquarian Texture coated single ply heads?

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Im restoring a set of 80's Supermaple Tama superstars and They had wasted heads on them, and missing resonant heads. Ive been on the prowl for closeout/cheap deals/freebies etc etc for 12-13-16 heads, And I was in sam ash yesterday, they had the Aquarian Texture coated tom head pack on closeout for 29.99. (shown here on amazon for 40.00 https://www.amazon.com/Aquarian-Drumheads-TC-B-Texture-16-inch/dp/B000UJHL8A)

Anyone using these heads? like/dislike?

Also I need to grab a set of reso heads for them.. I usually use single ply ambassadors on the bottoms..

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aquarian has a lot of fans. Some guys are diehard one brand which is of course fine. A lot of brush players like their coating which may be a little thicker than Remo or Evans, it does seems to last a little longer.

I don’t see any reason not to buy the pack. That’s a good deal. And coated top and bottom is actually a really cool sound. In my opinion. I like it. Just a little warmer than clear bottoms

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would have walked out with several packages of them. Love those TC heads.
I also use Aquarian Reso's with them. Excellent pairing.
For what it's worth, I ran those on my 1979 Tama Superstar kit. Very nice sounds. Those Superstars sound good with (two ply) Clear heads and (two ply) Coated, also. So, single ply, two ply, clear, coated ... nice drums. I swapped back and forth, depending on the song.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I like them. They have a softer feel (But still just as durable) different mylar than the others or at least that's the marketing behind them. The coating wears well and they sound great. They do have a wider collar than the other brands and can cause issues with fit on some drums, but I think they'll be fine on the Tamas. They are Ambassador weight so you could use them as Resos if you wanted to.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great heads at a great price. You'll like them.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like them. They have a softer feel (But still just as durable) different mylar than the others or at least that's the marketing behind them. The coating wears well and they sound great. They do have a wider collar than the other brands and can cause issues with fit on some drums, but I think they'll be fine on the Tamas. They are Ambassador weight so you could use them as Resos if you wanted to.

That sums it up perfectly for me. They feel softer which I really love. Still plenty punchy though. They're always what I try first on any drum.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I outfitted every batter of my Rogers XP-8 set with them 12,13,14,16 + Dynasonic snare and they sing!
Perfect heads for these drums, fat warm tone and durable coating.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Recently fitted my Yamaha kit with those heads after using Remo for 43 years. Hardly mark and great w/brushes on snare.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm planning on using TC's for batter heads on my new to me FG Fibes kit. If I found them cheap enough I'd use them as Resos too.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love Aquarian Texture Coated. This seems like a steal of a deal, so I'd grab 'em.

Rick

Reaction score
I use the Aquarian Texture Coated as the batter head on my two snare drums... Tama Starphonic Bubinga and Tama SLP Classic Maple. I've previously had the Remo coated Ambassador and Attack single-ply coated heads on those drums. The Aquarian is the best sounding of them all. And, yes, the coating is WAY more durable than the Ambassador. I imagine it would sound great on toms too.