Aquarian vintage medium question

MJB

Reaction score
Hi, I have the Aquarian vintage mediums on my reso and batters. I don’t like them and am looking for more sustain from my 12x8 and 14x14. My question is would leaving the resos Aquarians on and getting remo batter pin strips for hard rock be recommended? Or change the resos out as well. I’m confused after endless reading. I’m looking for a louder sound than the Aquarian vintage mediums. Any advice would be helpful Thanks you.

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
I use the Aquarian Modern vintage medium thickness on my kit and love the sound, especially for brushes. But I think I can relate to your desire for a little more sustain and volume. Years ago when I first started playing I put together a drum set of cheap orphans. I used a 14 by 10 old mahogany marching snare drum for a mounted tom. When I built a proper set at the drum shop where I worked I still used a thin snare side for the bottoms of all of my toms and no internal muffling anywhere. I only play jazz so you might want a different sound, but give it a try on your floor tom and see what you think. I use Earthtone skin heads on my 18 bass drum and an external Gary Chaffe muffler if needed. Good luck.

Reactions: MJB

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors would be my suggestion for more sustain yet durability and punch for hard rock. Pinstripes can be a bit thuddy and quieter but would probably also be fine if you are hitting pretty hard. Pinstripes are generally not known for sustain. I definitely would ditch the vintage medium resos for what you are looking for.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
^^^ +1 to this. I run clear Emperor or Aquarian Response 2 over clear single ply Ambassadors or Classic Clears. The reso head is going to dampen sustain a little if it’s coated.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The suggestion for clear emperors over clear ambassadors for volume is a good one, black dots over clear ambassadors would be good too but I would start with the clear resonants and see if the aquarians are still too quiet first.

MJB

Reaction score
Excellent thank you! I’m thinking over those choices. My kit is a 1999 classic maple 9 ply 20x14 12x8 and 14x14. I bought the remo power stroke bass and like it better than the Aquarian super kick 3. I’m just looking to get more volume for gigs. Thank you again

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Those Aquarian heads seem very lifeless to me ……
What have you tried? When I’ve felt that way about any maker’s heads, it’s been the wrong head for the job. These days for quality, consistency, and tone, Aquarian are my favorite.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What have you tried? When I’ve felt that way about any maker’s heads, it’s been the wrong head for the job. These days for quality, consistency, and tone, Aquarian are my favorite.
Ive played a few with the modern vintage on Tom’s , very lifeless to me .
However I do have a modern vintage Med bass drum batter that is great

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I only have those on my snare batter. Very durable and great for brushes. Would not dream of having them as reso on anything personally.

Phantomlimb777

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t understand how those heads would sound so dead, unless you have very little tension on them.

I have MV medium over classic clear resos, and I get plenty of sustain.

MJB

Reaction score
I don’t understand how those heads would sound so dead, unless you have very little tension on them.

I have MV medium over classic clear resos, and I get plenty of sustain.
Mine are vintage med bat and res. I can’t say dead it a pleasant tone. Its just a bit softer sounding than any heads I’ve used.

Phantomlimb777

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mine are vintage med bat and res. I can’t say dead it a pleasant tone. Its just a bit softer sounding than any heads I’ve used.
Oh yeah. They’re more tone than slap. I run the deep vintage on my big set of toms.