Aquarian vintage medium question

drumr386

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the coating on the MV to be a bit heavy but not deadening. They were designed to mimic calf skin if that makes a difference. With Classic Clears on the reso they are a great combination and I find there is plenty of resonance. Personally I find all the Aquarian heads to have a warmer tone when compared to Remo.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I currently have Modern Vintage IIs on my Signia kit but I’ve decided they restrict the toms a bit too much. I also have some Modern Vintage mediums that are basically new. Going to put the mediums on the reso side and run some clear single plies on the reso side.

I haven’t gigged this kit and it’s kept at our practice space so I haven’t worried about it too much. This thread has just got me to thinking.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go with Aquarian's PF2s over classic clears.....IMO the PF2s can be tuned tighter than pinstripes and still have a low sound so you still get 'that sound' but you get better stick response

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
:???: say what?
What were your preferred heads on the Signia? After I cleaned up the kit and put it back together I went in the direction of Aquarian’s Modern Vintage heads but they haven’t been everything I hoped for.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
:???: say what?
Oh wait- I see what I did. Nice proofreading on my part. Meant to say: going to go with Aquarian Modern Vintage medium on the batter and some sort of single ply clear on the reso. If that doesn’t work out I’ll go back to the drawing board.

Sorry for the confusion!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh wait- I see what I did. Nice proofreading on my part. Meant to say: going to go with Aquarian Modern Vintage medium on the batter and some sort of single ply clear on the reso. If that doesn’t work out I’ll go back to the drawing board.

Sorry for the confusion!

There, that’s the reason I was confused! I figured that’s what you meant but wasn’t sure. To answer your other question, my favorite heads on Signias were always a 2-ply clear. At the time I had them I was playing Evans more often and used clear G2 heads, but also had good results with clear Emperors.

Chalmers

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll add some classic combos that have been great for me.

Evans Reso 7’s (coated diplomats) under coated g1’s on rack toms, coated g2’s on floor toms. Miced in a studio mostly.

Clear vintage emperors over clear ambassadors. Live rock and roll miced.

I like the aquarian modern vintage, but they haven’t knocked off those combos for me.

icetech

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Isn't the vintage medium a coated head? having those as resos is going to really kill sustain... switch to classic clears and they will sing :) I am an aquarian guy and love them, i use classic clears on reso and response 2's for batter (or classic clears on both if i wan it to be really open)

MJB

Reaction score
Clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors would be my suggestion for more sustain yet durability and punch for hard rock. Pinstripes can be a bit thuddy and quieter but would probably also be fine if you are hitting pretty hard. Pinstripes are generally not known for sustain. I definitely would ditch the vintage medium resos for what you are looking for.
I did these for my Ludwig classic maples 20 12 14. I like the sound better than the vintage med Aquarian. I thought the powe stroke 3 bass drum head is better than the Aquarian super kick 3 I had on. Thanks for dialing me in!!
CF1AD0AB-74FD-4118-841C-DD2E3277CB0D.jpeg

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Isn't the vintage medium a coated head? having those as resos is going to really kill sustain.
I have coated ambs as resos on my Broadkasters and they soften the timbre of the sustain, but not that much the legth of it. A little bit less high end frequencies content gives off the impression of shorter sustain. On my Broadkasters and my Rogers Holidays, wich both have coated ambs resos, the toms notes decay can easily, easily get past 5-6 seconds wich is actually way more than you actually need to blend in a mix.

Reactions: MJB

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi, I have the Aquarian vintage mediums on my reso and batters. I don’t like them and am looking for more sustain from my 12x8 and 14x14. My question is would leaving the resos Aquarians on and getting remo batter pin strips for hard rock be recommended? Or change the resos out as well. I’m confused after endless reading. I’m looking for a louder sound than the Aquarian vintage mediums. Any advice would be helpful Thanks you.
Pinstripes are 2 ply heads, which will have less resonance, more dampening, than a medium weight 1 ply head. Coating tends to dampen a head as well, but, not a much as 2 plies, IMO. If you want more resonance, you might try a clear single ply head. Just be aware that more resonance usually means more dissonant overtones as well.

MJB

Reaction score
Pinstripes are 2 ply heads, which will have less resonance, more dampening, than a medium weight 1 ply head. Coating tends to dampen a head as well, but, not a much as 2 plies, IMO. If you want more resonance, you might try a clear single ply head. Just be aware that more resonance usually means more dissonant overtones as well.
I put emperor clear batter and ambassador clear single on reso. I got ring which I prefer it’s so much more powerful!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd change to clear bottoms. I am a Remo guy so clear Ambassadors.
Hard to go wrong with this, or the Evans equivalent if you're an Evans guy or gal. It's worked for so many for so long it might as well be a formula for getting a good drum sound.