Are any classic rockers worth seeing anymore in 2019?

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has father time finally killed the classic rock concert scene? I've been getting my regular email "updates" and it seems no one is left that I would remotely pay hundreds of dollars for a ticket anymore? I hadn't seen a "classic" rock show in a long time and I feel myself getting old do to the dry spell over the last few years.
So....anyone still worth catching that can still actually perform without a backing track as a crutch or simply being the stage puppet for basically a cover band of younger guys?
Thanks

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally....

"The Thrill is Gone".

Soooo many other things I'd rather do. And besides, PBS airs "old and mostly forgotten"concerts weekly.

Lol

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last year I saw Whitesnake and Foreigner with Jason Bonham opening and they were all really good. Granted, it's only Mick Jones in Foreigner now, but the band is solid and Kelly Hansen does a great job on vocals. During the Whitesnake set the backing vocals were covering for Coverdale, but the band overall is great and Tommy Aldridge is still one of the best in the business. Jason Bonham started off kind of meh, but really got going as the set went on. His band was spot on.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wife and I have tix to see Peter Frampton with Jason Bonham Experience opening later this month. i have seen PF only on tv concerts so this should be good. My understanding is they are touring with John Siomos' original green Ludwigs as PF is retiring due to health concerns. Tip of the hat for doing so. Not sure though who is drumming for him this time. In any case, I'm stoked to be seeing Jason again. Can you say loud drums? No other dinosaurs I can think of but maybe in Germany in December...

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
here we are , right thread ...

PBS parade their pet dinosaurs coupla times a year

Herman from Herman's Hermits is running surprisingly strong , the rest are worth a chuckle

or two .

Last edited:

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Saw Paul McCartney a couple weeks ago. Great show!!
Glad to hear PM is still doing a great show! I haven't seen him in years and he put on a hell of a show....but again...that was a decade or so ago.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wife and I have tix to see Peter Frampton with Jason Bonham Experience opening later this month. i have seen PF only on tv concerts so this should be good. My understanding is they are touring with John Siomos' original green Ludwigs as PF is retiring due to health concerns. Tip of the hat for doing so. Not sure though who is drumming for him this time. In any case, I'm stoked to be seeing Jason again. Can you say loud drums? No other dinosaurs I can think of but maybe in Germany in December...
I don't know how PF has held up but I caught him several years ago and I must say...he exceeded my expectations magnificently. I guess I didn't expect as much as I got. The thing that impressed me was his persona on stage. He told great stories and generally kept the crowd laughing between the songs. His facial expressions are fun too....

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Iron Maiden was unbelievably great and very entertaining. And they completely filled the venue (15,000+). I last saw them when I was in high school, in the mid 80s. They were far better now than what I remember.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Visited Steve Hackett with Craig Blundell on drums. A thrill.

Also Mostly Autumn is still kicking ass, as does their former singer Heather Findlay.

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw Ian Anderson last month in San Diego and it is clear that he is well past his prime. He tries to "slide" into most of the high vocal notes and it is obvious he is straining. His band was good, but all are essentially hired gun sidemen who played very well, but without the flair and passion of most of the early Jethro Tull members.

On the other hand, I saw Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Trevor Rabin playing out as "most of" Yes last year and the show was fantastic.

Saw Doobie Brothers last fall as well and their show was excellent. Bill Payne (Little Feat) was on keys and the band was great.

I agree with the OP that many others out there should hang it up.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I saw Heart with Joan Jett and Elle King last night. Heart and Joan Jett both ahowed why they’re Hall of Famers and we had a great time.

Oh, our lawn seats cost $20 each, including fee, as part of a “$20 all-in” package I bought several months. We were in a different ZIP Code than the band, but the sound was great.

The OP should probably get out more.

Philly James

Reaction score
I have tix for Dwight Yoakam later this month, and then Elvis Costello in October.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw Heart with Joan Jett and Elle King last night. Heart and Joan Jett both ahowed why they’re Hall of Famers and we had a great time.

Oh, our lawn seats cost $20 each, including fee, as part of a “$20 all-in” package I bought several months. We were in a different ZIP Code than the band, but the sound was great.

The OP should probably get out more.
Get out more? Saw both of these already.