Are any classic rockers worth seeing anymore in 2019?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
The 70's crowd is getting thin, but a lot of the 80's rockers are still kicking hard. Ironically, I caught some Gordon Lightfoot in a hotel lobby and it really hit me, I don't think the lighter 70's crew ever really got a fair shake on the nostalgia tour. I haven't heard most of that stuff in decades

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Todd Rundgren has never "phoned it in" in the many times I've seen him and still performs a remarkable value-for-dollar concert experience every time - always aspiring to a higher musical place with a different show/theme with each consecutive tour.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw Sammy Hagar a couple months ago with Jason Bonham on drums. It was much better than I had expected. Friends persuaded me to go and it was a great night. Sammy was on stage the whole set and looked to be having a great time. His voice is strong and it's hard to believe he is 71. Thumbs up!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 70's crowd is getting thin, but a lot of the 80's rockers are still kicking hard. Ironically, I caught some Gordon Lightfoot in a hotel lobby and it really hit me, I don't think the lighter 70's crew ever really got a fair shake on the nostalgia tour. I haven't heard most of that stuff in decades
Interestingly, I just heard a radio ad promoting a Gordon Lightfoot concert in our area this fall. I looked up his age and couldn't believe that he's 80 and still touring.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I think now is one of the BEST times to see some of these acts. For one, live sound technology is vastly improved. Second, you don't have an arena full of hyped up, stoned up young adults and youth screaming at the top of their lungs all night. You can actually enjoy the music.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I am going to see REO Speedwagon in October with Charlie Farren.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve seen Joan Jett a few times in recent years, and she still absolutely kicks butt from start to finish. Not exactly classic rock, but Leonard Cohen delivered incredible performances right up to the end.

Saw Ry Cooder recently, and it was pretty disappointing. He can still play, and his young backing band were potent, but his between song banter was just cringey and got longer and more frequent as the night wore on. At first I was like “ok grampa, we’ll let this slide because half the audience is the same age as you, and likes to reminisce about chasing tail in the old days.” But by the midpoint it had turned into a campfire nostalgia story hour about girls on tour, punctuated by occasional songs.