Are early Pearl drums considered MIJ/stencil kits?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know early Yamaha drums from 1967 through the early 1970's are not considered MIJ stencils, at least not from a quality/value stand point. What about 1960's to early 1970's Pearls?....that is Pearl drums with the oval, script, or first gen rectangular badges?

From reading I've done I'd place the Pearls somewhat above the proliferation of all the MIJ brands (Mercury, Apollo, Stewart, Reuther, Harmony, etc.). Even Hoshino's early "Stars" (pre-Tama) might be a cut above. No doubt in the end it comes down to the actual build of each kit where every so often you can find some killer MIJ kits with decent wraps and good bearing edges. But generally, are badged Pearls and Stars also considered to be typical MIJ quality and price or a cut above? Put another way, do those 2 get more love than the other generic names?

Last edited:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say no. By virtue of being "Pearl," they are not stencils. Now I'm no expert on early Pearl drums and they could have been the same shells they used on the stencil drums they made. But as a name brand stepping out from the stencil world, they are not stencil drums.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stencil, IMO, is term to refer to MIJ drums outlined to LOOK like US made drums (not the multitude of brands immitating the larger PEARL name....many stencil brands were made BY Pearl). Ive always considered "MIJ" and"stencil" as the same thing, all drums from Japan that entered the market to immitate and compete with the US brands.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stencil implies another company putting their brand on another manufacturer’s product. The term comes from the brass instrument trade where the company selling an instrument made by a contractor literally used stencils on the blank horns as a guide for engraving their own mark.
Anything branded Pearl is not a stencil drum.

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
Technically-no, in reality-yes. I've owned a Pearl Valencia kit, and an 'Everplay' stencil version, exact same kit, just a different badge, same factory kids. This is very common, and why most of us vintage MIJ fans lump them in. Same family tree.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Technically-no, in reality-yes. I've owned a Pearl Valencia kit, and an 'Everplay' stencil version, exact same kit, just a different badge, same factory kids. This is very common, and why most of us vintage MIJ fans lump them in. Same family tree.
Even if lumped in together from the same family tree, do the kits bring a similar market price regardless if badged as "Pearl" or "Everplay?"

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is a Pearl Valencia kit worth? $250?
That would seem to be a bargain price for an excellent original 4 pc kit without issues and having an interesting finish like Diamond or Oyster pearls. Average ones are probably worth around that. But what about Pearl Presidents, Super Deluxe, Thunderkings, Dyna-Max, Frontier, Jet, and others? All worth the same $250 in nice condition? Sign me up for $250 on a mint 4-5 pc 1950's to 1969 Pearl labeled kit. I rarely even see these pop up for sale, let alone being original, complete, and nice. Easier to find decent 1960's Rogers, Gretsch, Ludwig and Slingerlands than stencils.

Stencil kits came out of Pearl and Star/Hoshino (Tama) factories....and possibly other manufacturers as well. With about 100 different stencil names out there...plenty to go around.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where'd Torodor come from. I had the best 50$ stencil sold it like a fool...
Cleaned them all up, serviced them, converted a non match 12 that came with it, into snare, newer heads... Sold em like a fool. Man they were fun. Metal bass hoops. 12/16/20 and 12 convert snare. The one picture was how they were when I bought them. Even came with three gigmaker Yamaha hardware; Hat stand, pedal, and cymbal stand. 50$ for all

Attachments

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
Even if lumped in together from the same family tree, do the kits bring a similar market price regardless if badged as "Pearl" or "Everplay?"
That depends, to me, no, knowing that they're the exact same, except the badge. In fact, the 'Everplay' badge is MORE rare then a Pearl one...so, how do you rate/value that?

I think certain individuals want to believe that Pearl isn't "lumped" in with stencil kits, so it means it's better quality, or holds more value, etc. By all means, believe what you want, possibly pay extra for the Pearl badge...but that badge is the only difference, let's be clear about that. In the pictures below, you'll see the 'Everplay' badge, with 'Pearl' engraved hardware-same drum.

I own many vintage stencil/MIJ kits/snares (including Pearl's), love them all, regardless of badges, because they generally all came from two factories: Hoshino G or Hoshino K.

Attachments

drumfx

Reaction score
Stencil implies another company putting their brand on another manufacturer’s product. The term comes from the brass instrument trade where the company selling an instrument made by a contractor literally used stencils on the blank horns as a guide for engraving their own mark.
Anything branded Pearl is not a stencil drum.
Pearls were carbon copies of US drums...The early Pearls immitated Slingerland hardware. That's just stating the facts and the same goes for Star.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearls were carbon copies of US drums...The early Pearls immitated Slingerland hardware. That's just stating the facts and the same goes for Star.
Yes, they did their best to imitate the US brands. I like the ones where you’d get a Gretscherland. :)

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Not exactly "carbon copies," because they were junk. Really crappy wood and shell workmanship, flimsy metal parts, lousy chrome plating. Not built to last.

The music stores were loaded with them in the 60's, for kids who couldn't afford good drums.

Pearl made quite a few different brands, all from the same factory, and they were mostly Slingerland imitations.

Latest posts