header.nohb.html

Are High-End Drums a Giant Waste of Money?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st time I took my Fibes to a gig , so many people commented on how great my drums sounded , it was ridiculous….
I must add that it was the 1st time in years I took 4 toms to a gig and I was definitely overplaying said toms…

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I toured arenas and recorded a major-label album with a Gretsch Catalina. That's not saying that high-end drums aren't worth it, but it is saying that you don't need high-end drums to get pro-level results.
I totally agree , but you aren’t going to ooh and ahhh when you play them at home unmiced either ..

twangbang

Reaction score
Try to make a serious definition of "waste of money". I dare ya'. In the end, you wind up trying to resolve the inherent paradoxes in the concept of 'economic utility' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility. The problem is that there is no way to universally define, much less quantify, utility. It is always context dependent.

For me, high-end stuff is a waste of money, except when it isn't. And I can only tell you when incremental money spent on a musical instrument isn't a waste until after I've played it. Otherwise, generally speaking, the concept of diminishing returns resulting from reduced marginal utility for increasing cost works for me - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_utility - again, except when it doesn't, which happens more than I'd like.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The right high end kit turns heads , cheaper kits do not ……
I’m talking WOW , ooooh aaaah !!!

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread so has anybody used the automobile analogy yet? You can own an Elantra and you can own a Mercedes...both will get you there, but.....

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread so has anybody used the automobile analogy yet? You can own an Elantra and you can own a Mercedes...both will get you there, but.....
I think Toyota and Cadillac have been presented ..

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig Element SE kit bought for $450 had some of the best tom sound ever. Yamaha Recording Customs in the bright red was one of my least inspiring kits I have owned. Mahogany finish Ludwig Classic Maples put together out of orphans is on the list of all time favorites. Cost has very little to do with it but that comes with buying only used.

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another answer to the OP's question is....

Depends on what you pay for said high end drums.