header.nohb.html

Are High-End Drums a Giant Waste of Money?

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread so has anybody used the automobile analogy yet? You can own an Elantra and you can own a Mercedes...both will get you there, but.....
Most Mercedes more than three years old that are traded into the dealership I work for go to auction-even in the current "climate". :D

Six-Ply

Reaction score
Most Mercedes more than three years old that are traded into the dealership I work for go to auction-even in the current "climate". :D
I guess customers going to a Mercedes dealership aren't looking for a 4 year old or older Mercedes. Makes sense.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If a newbie asks me for advice starting out, my first tip is to buy nice cymbals, as there's a bit of wiggle room around drum quality, but if you have a bad cymbal, there's no getting around that.
True, but lately there’s some budget cymbals that really impress me as being quite good for the money, and a lot of super expensive ones that suck ;)

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread so has anybody used the automobile analogy yet? You can own an Elantra and you can own a Mercedes...both will get you there, but.....

See post #59 and sub a Yaris for the Elantra.....

I guess customers going to a Mercedes dealership aren't looking for a 4 year old or older Mercedes. Makes sense.

Well yer not gonna find one of these at the dealership as it’s 63 yrs young.....geez I’m only 5 yrs older than one of my cars......
It’s going into storage and into more fix up mode for the winter soon (like me... a work in progress) and yup the Yaris still hauls the drums locally...(I use back line kits when touring)...;)
bt

71BE8838-3477-45B8-B42D-3556594B2C74.jpeg

xopherhills

Reaction score
I toured arenas and recorded a major-label album with a Gretsch Catalina. That's not saying that high-end drums aren't worth it, but it is saying that you don't need high-end drums to get pro-level results.
My buddy Tyler Pope is the bassist for LCD Soundsystem, which has headlined Coachella and Glastonbury, and done many world tours for the past 20 or so years etc. His bass guitar cost $300 and his amp less than a thousand, and it sounds fabulous. So yes, you can get pro results with cheap equipment. Heads and tuning and eq make mediocre drums sound great.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a bass player friend who is the same.
The thing is though....that is his choice. He found a bass he loves and it just happens to be an affordable one.
If money were no object, most people would choose the typical high end bass (or drum kit).

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a bass player friend who is the same.
The thing is though....that is his choice. He found a bass he loves and it just happens to be an affordable one.
If money were no object, most people would choose the typical high end bass (or drum kit).
Maybe at one point I would have, but some of my favorite basses and amps have been real bargain basement dwellers. Of course, it’s all well chosen and sometimes modded, but I just don’t see the need. That said, if someone else does, I’m all for it.

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Toyota/Lexus dealership. People are looking for anything with wheels right now, even if they don't actually need it. Cars are currently the toilet paper crisis of 2020.
Ten year-old Toyotas and Lexus are flying off the lot, though. Go figure. ;)