ARE LIVE GIGS COMING BACK IN YOUR AREA?

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think some of you brothers and sisters are living in areas that are opening up businesses, etc., and others are not. I’m curious about details of your upcoming gigs, if any, and if not, why not.

I’m asking this not to prompt any political discussion here, nor am I making any judgement about anyone starting to play out, or anyone choosing not to play, or anyone who can’t yet play out. I’m just interested in facts pertinent to what we are about to do in the next few months based geographically. I’m not asking for people to discuss how they intend to defy any local orders. The truth is each jurisdiction is handling this pandemic a little differently and I am curious about live music in your area--the logistics or local rules or whatever other things drummers might be looking at as they start to play live again, or as they continue to not do so, over the upcoming months.

This information can help all of us as time progresses.

I’ll start: Very simple here. The answer is nothing. I am out west in the Bay Area and, as many of you have probably heard, we are under lockdown for at least another month. There have been some modifications but no rehearsals and certainly no open venues.

(If this isn’t an appropriate question for the Forum, I do apologize and would take no offense if the moderators take it down, but I do think it relevant if we can discuss it rationally.)

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No gigs but if I had an upcoming gig, just to be safe, I would invest in a ClearSonic wall of plexiglass around my kit

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Venues that would have entertainment have strict laws that say no entertainment until June at least and that ban may be extended. Only now are some venues (restaurants but not bars) allowed to open for seated patrons with strict spacing and hygiene guidelines in place. There is a nightly curfew and alcohol sales ban but no enforced stay home rule just large gathering rules. But masks are mandatory if you go outdoors. And inter-province travel is restricted. All pretty grim in terms of gigs.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My regular monthly gig was already in jeopardy months before the virus lockdown. We've been doing that venue for like, 8 years! But their 6-night/week music program was on shaky ground over the Holidays ...... after new management took over a few months earlier.

So no ......... I don't hold out much hope for the near future. I think we jazzers are going to be really happy to get together in someone's living room ....... possibly for the rest of our playing careers.

Hope I'm wrong ..........

Mike

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No, not around here, unfortunately not for quite a while. Some of my musician friends have guessed that bars might be some of the last things to come back. Who would want to go in? And who would enjoy writhing around in the mud with lots of other people at a festival-with-camping?

Another very active musician buddy speculated a year from this January for live gigs - very hard to take.

Sorry...

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My regular monthly gig was already in jeopardy months before the virus lockdown. We've been doing that venue for like, 8 years! But their 6-night/week music program was on shaky ground over the Holidays ...... after new management took over a few months earlier.

So no ......... I don't hold out much hope for the near future. I think we jazzers are going to be really happy to get together in someone's living room ....... possibly for the rest of our playing careers.

Mike
Mike, you are wrong. We will always need jazz.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing yet. One club has reported that he'll have music and dancing May 29th. My day job I have to start going in to the office once a week for the next two weeks and then twice a week until July 1st. If "all clear" then will be back in the office every day

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing doing down here either. Still a morgue-like existence.

studrum:
"Another very active musician buddy speculated a year from this January for live gigs - very hard to take. "

What can be so rewarding can be so cruel.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I supposedly have a gig booked for June 26th out here in L.A. The venue is guessing that things will be back up and running by then, but I still have my doubts.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a gig booked for the first week in July, and shockingly, my band is set to book another gig soon--we just spoke to the organizers of an outdoor event last week.

Dan

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'm booked for the next 2 saturdays, 1 outside & 1 inside, so we'll see that goes - but if you want my honest opinion, I don't foresee Live music at large social gatherings or events returning soon in any capacity from bars to stadiums.

I've been a performing musician for nearly 40 years yet I've resigned myself to the very real possibility that 2020 will mark the end of my career as a working musician along with that of many others worldwide. I follow the relevant opinions & predictions regarding this situation very closely and I'm concluding the handwriting is on the wall.
I'm usually of a pretty optimistic mindset.....but not this time.

I strongly suspect it'll be a new era from here on out.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Next booking is in July. And the next booking after that is in April 2021! This may change soon hopefully when things start opening up.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I'm booked for the next 2 saturdays, 1 outside & 1 inside, so we'll see that goes - but if you want my honest opinion, I don't foresee Live music at large social gatherings or events returning soon in any capacity from bars to stadiums.

I've been a performing musician for nearly 40 years yet I've resigned myself to the very real possibility that 2020 will mark the end of my career as a working musician along with that of many others worldwide. I follow the relevant opinions & predictions regarding this situation very closely and I'm concluding the handwriting is on the wall.
I'm usually of a pretty optimistic mindset.....but not this time.

I strongly suspect it'll be a new era from here on out.
Very difficult to disagree with this. Resurrecting damaged economies is difficult enough. Local live music was already on life support and is entirely dependent on disposable income. Factor in fear of infection and ... I can't imagine any local venue fretting over band rotation anytime soon when they're struggling to stay in business.

Last edited:

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No practices, no gigs, no nothing. We have our annual holiday show in the books for Saturday after Thanksgiving, maybe things will be different then, I hope so.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can imagine that a lot of venues won't reopen. Rent and mortgages for buildings are expensive, and they still have to pay that stuff even when shut down.

Some places will probably eventually open back up under new names and ownership, they'll have a different take on live music, for better and for worse. A major reshuffling of the deck.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think some of you brothers and sisters are living in areas that are opening up businesses, etc., and others are not. I’m curious about details of your upcoming gigs, if any, and if not, why not.

I’m asking this not to prompt any political discussion here, nor am I making any judgement about anyone starting to play out, or anyone choosing not to play, or anyone who can’t yet play out. I’m just interested in facts pertinent to what we are about to do in the next few months based geographically. I’m not asking for people to discuss how they intend to defy any local orders. The truth is each jurisdiction is handling this pandemic a little differently and I am curious about live music in your area--the logistics or local rules or whatever other things drummers might be looking at as they start to play live again, or as they continue to not do so, over the upcoming months.

This information can help all of us as time progresses.

I’ll start: Very simple here. The answer is nothing. I am out west in the Bay Area and, as many of you have probably heard, we are under lockdown for at least another month. There have been some modifications but no rehearsals and certainly no open venues.

(If this isn’t an appropriate question for the Forum, I do apologize and would take no offense if the moderators take it down, but I do think it relevant if we can discuss it rationally.)
I worry that some Bay Area venues may not make it back after the lock downs.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think 2020 is shot. I can see things opening, maybe even bars, and them attempting live music at some point this year and then suddenly everything slams shut again. I don't want to believe that, but I've heard nothing to make me feel optimistic about all this.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score

Mike
I think you are wrong. Even before there is a safe and effective vaccine, we will have a safe and effective treatment that will shorten the duration and severity of this scourge. With that, I expect we will all be back in business with a greater awareness of the need for taking precautions as, perhaps, a permanent lifestyle change.

Keep the faith!

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
If some bars do open, they'll be serving patrons who aren't risk averse, right? And so the staff will need to feel that way as well. I think we can agree it's not an easy feat to talk, drink, and possibly smoke without a mask going on and off. And how do you talk and maintain 6' distance even without a band playing. Highly contagious pathogens and social gatherings are pretty much mutually exclusive unless you're unafraid of the pathogen. And the problem there is even if you aren't afraid, by risking more infection you're potentially exponentially endangering others who are risk averse and won't be at any bar. So I guess it's another societal dividing line to deal with. How many more of those we can take I have no clue.