ARE LIVE GIGS COMING BACK IN YOUR AREA?

Browny

Reaction score
Our current state of play is that if the downwards trend continues and a large enough percentage of the population download an app that helps track the spread (fully encrypted, data doesn't leave the phone, etc) then we might see some venues reopen in July under strict conditions like no dance floors or 'mosh pits', no bar service, table service only (something not common at all in Australian pubs and bars, typically that's only restaurants). I'm not sure how much after that we'd have dedicated live music venues back up and running as per normal.. perhaps another month or two after that? Maybe?...

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There will be no paying (?) gigs for me for ......... ??????

But my friends and I are talking about outdoor (porch and lawn) get togethers - anyone who feels like it can just pitch a 6' diameter circle and flop out on the grass ........

Mike

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We played an outdoor patio set last weekend. Restaurants here are still curbside to-go only, but starting May 1 those with outdoor seating can allow patrons to eat those "to-go" meals at an outdoor table. Tables must be 10' apart and no table service is allowed, plus some other precautions. So basically we played for folks coming to pickup pizza and beer, and if they wanted to sit and listen for a bit that was allowed. It was a different dynamic than usual, of course, but it was nice to take a step towards "normal" life again.

Han

Reaction score
I think some of you brothers and sisters are living in areas that are opening up businesses, etc., and others are not. I’m curious about details of your upcoming gigs, if any, and if not, why not.

I’m asking this not to prompt any political discussion here, nor am I making any judgement about anyone starting to play out, or anyone choosing not to play, or anyone who can’t yet play out. I’m just interested in facts pertinent to what we are about to do in the next few months based geographically. I’m not asking for people to discuss how they intend to defy any local orders. The truth is each jurisdiction is handling this pandemic a little differently and I am curious about live music in your area--the logistics or local rules or whatever other things drummers might be looking at as they start to play live again, or as they continue to not do so, over the upcoming months.

This information can help all of us as time progresses.

I’ll start: Very simple here. The answer is nothing. I am out west in the Bay Area and, as many of you have probably heard, we are under lockdown for at least another month. There have been some modifications but no rehearsals and certainly no open venues.

(If this isn’t an appropriate question for the Forum, I do apologize and would take no offense if the moderators take it down, but I do think it relevant if we can discuss it rationally.)
There are no gigs in South Florida. We've been told by the Governor that bars will be the last places to open up for business. That being said, I read this morning that some bars are ignoring the order to remain closed and people are hanging out and they are being served.
I don't see gigs coming back any time soon. Some places have already gone out of business and for those that remain it's going to be awhile before they have "extra" income to pay for music. If there isn't another wave of infections, perhaps around the holidays we might see a handful of gigs come back but I remain skeptical.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
There are no gigs in South Florida. We've been told by the Governor that bars will be the last places to open up for business. That being said, I read this morning that some bars are ignoring the order to remain closed and people are hanging out and they are being served.
I don't see gigs coming back any time soon. Some places have already gone out of business and for those that remain it's going to be awhile before they have "extra" income to pay for music. If there isn't another wave of infections, perhaps around the holidays we might see a handful of gigs come back but I remain skeptical.
I am fortunate in that the venues that I mainly play are assisted living facilities. It may be a long time before they reopen, but they will not go out of business like the bars, etc. And when they can have entertainment, that is a budget item that is not likely to disappear regardless of how long they remain locked down. I am in no real hurry to return to gigging since I have a lot of other things that I can do to keep busy.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I think that, depending on how long the restrictions last, people will start getting used to a different way of life. Families and family interaction will become more important. People will take time to enjoy a cup of coffee on the patio or balcony in the morning. Few will hug strangers or shake hands anymore. People who are obviously sick with a cold or flu will be temporarily shunned. People will take up more small pleasures, like reading, cooking for their families, conversation. There will be less frivolous spending and more saving for a rainy day. More flextime will be available for workers, or remote working. More technology will be used in schools, supported by smaller classes and in-person classroom meetings. I think people will be more careful to independently consider and judge news sources.

This will gradually happen after an initial post-restriction burst of activity from all of us suffering from cabin fever. Time will tell. I’m probably completely wrong.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's honestly not when are gigs back, its when are people going to feel safe going to gigs.
Exactly. Last week during my Facebook Live with Steve Gadd, one of the things we talked about was James Taylor going on tour, and when tours in general might resume and Steve's feeling is, not anytime soon. Who's going to want to go to a crowded venue and potentially infect themselves? We're not out of the woods yet my friends...

Here's the FB Live with Steve if you haven't seen it...
It's not an interview (he doesn't enjoy doing interviews) it was a conversation between old friends with a lot of giggling! :)

drichardbailey

Reaction score
Exactly. Last week during my Facebook Live with Steve Gadd, one of the things we talked about was James Taylor going on tour, and when tours in general might resume and Steve's feeling is, not anytime soon. Who's going to want to go to a crowded venue and potentially infect themselves? We're not out of the woods yet my friends...

Here's the FB Live with Steve if you haven't seen it...
It's not an interview (he doesn't enjoy doing interviews) it was a conversation between old friends with a lot of giggling! :)
What I'm hearing is that it's foolhardy to be planning anything before summer 2021, for national label acts.

Rick

Reaction score
Only 1 paid gig coming up. Somehow we managed to get a wedding on June 6. Pretty good paying gig too! Other than that, all we're doing is a few unpaid live-streamed performances from outdoor balconies/patios of local establishments. It's just a chance for us to enjoy playing some music together and hopefully bring some musical joy to some folks who might need it right now. We're doing one this Saturday from Georgia Shrimp Company in Peachtree City, GA. People can get takeout and sit out in the parking lot and listen to us as they eat their food. The last livestream we did a couple of weeks ago had over 3,000 views by the time we finished playing and last time I looked had close to 6,000 views. If any of you guys want to check it out, just find Event Maestro Entertainment LLC's Facebook page and it'll be live-streamed there at 6pm EDT on Saturday.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I got this message today from one of my favorite music venues:

"Thank you for your ongoing support of Granada Theater.

Together with you we have played a role in bringing Dallas to life and furthering the careers of countless artists. Built in 1946, Granada Theater has since hosted countless legendary acts such as Willie Nelson, Tame Impala, Adele, David Crosby, The Black Keys, Bob Dylan, Wilco, Ice Cube, and many others! Now independent venues like ours are at risk, and we need you to tell our Senators and Representatives how important Granada Theater is to you and Dallas.
When this crisis began, independent music venues were the first to close, and we will be the last to open. While completely shuttered we have no revenue, our employees and artists are without jobs, and normal bills keep coming, regardless.

We have joined the National Independent Venue Association (NIVA), a group of more than 1,200 independent music venues and promoters in all 50 states, to collectively urge Congress to help protect our industry by providing the financial support that is necessary for us to survive the shutdown and reopen once again.

Please join us and support our cause by calling and writing our Senators and Representatives today.

It’s fast and easy: Click here to email your representatives.

Yell it, scream it, clap your hands, and pound your feet like you’re calling the band back for an encore! Please help us ensure we survive by using your voice now (and tell a friend or 100 friends!). #SaveOurStages "

pgm554

Reaction score
Living on and off in the SF bay for many years,the number of live music venues has shrunk and continues to do so.
Tech has a lot to do with it as DJ's are cheaper,earbuds are pervasive and everybody seems to be living through an iPhone.
This is just more dirt on the coffin of live music in general.
Just like many music stores going out of biz these past few years,these venues won't be coming back.
The old adage of you never miss what you never had comes to mind.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
"Eighteen months, possibly two years"

Barring a successful and widely available COVID-19 vaccine, that’s how long several music business insiders say it may take for the concert and touring business to return to a modicum of normalcy.

"We are going to be the last industry to open and there are lots of reasons for that,” says the president and CEO of Boston’s Boch Center, overseeing both the 3,500-seat Wang Theatre and the 1,500-seat Shubert Theatre
“We are an organization that has crowds and it is impossible in our theaters to self-distance. Period. And not only is it impossible for the audience members, it is impossible to lower the capacity to try to do that."

“But more so, and just as important, you can’t self-distance backstage. Putting lights up, readying to do shows, rehearsals, actors [or musicians] in the dressing room, all that goes along with it. That does not work.”

On March 12, Live Nation and AEG — two of the world’s largest concert promoters — both halted all of the year’s arena tours. And as of yet, they have not announced any plans for future performances.
What about clubs? Club tours don’t require the massive amount of gear and set-up that arena tours do, but clubs are inherently social situations, with fans often in proximity to each other.

“Think about it,” says Steve Wynn, singer-guitarist for the Dream Syndicate, an oft-touring club band. “Stages, house crews, vans, hotels, gas stations, bars, liquor bottles and shot glasses backstage — how easy will it be to make any of those things be considered safe until we have a cure or a guaranteed treatment? I know it’s a logistical nightmare and a financial hit for many bands and agents out there. I’m nothing if not optimistic and resourceful by nature and I'd love to be optimistic, but it might be longer than we'd like to think.”

Source

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I know bars possibly will re-open in some capacity in Texas May 18th. Some of us that play a lot in Austin have been talking about what we do when the bars start asking us to play if we're not ready, or those that are will they be looked down on as taking the gigs that others don't want to play....no easy answer to it.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am not counting on any gigs for 2020 and maybe even the first quarter if 2021 . Things will not change till they have a working vaccine that can be distributed worldwide IMHO . By this time it might be too late for most live entertainment venues like bars , dinner theatres , concert halls . I would not want to be depending on my living coming from being a musician right now .

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually have a show tomorrow. I'm very surprised that it's actually happening. It's an outdoor gig at a private country club with a Stones tribute band. We played it last year year and there were easily 1500 people there. They said that they're limiting the amount of patrons and will stagger times, whatever that means. All I know is it's a paying gig and I'm happy to do it.

Latest posts