ARE LIVE GIGS COMING BACK IN YOUR AREA?

Moonman

Reaction score
My gig was at a private coutry club at their pool and tennis facility. We played the gig last year and there was at least 1000 people. This year, they were only letting in a third of the capacity. I'm not sure what capacity is, but I'd say there was a few hundred there. They were trying to keep people from congregating in any areas. It appeared that there were small groups of people hanging together. All in all it seemed pretty "normal". The only people that I saw wearing masks were some of the stafff. Most people didn't even care that there was a band there, we did have a had full of people dancing, but no one else seemed to care. None the less, they booked us again for next year.
Did the gig offer the same pay as last year or did they come down on you based on the number of people allowed in? For those that just earn a % of ticket sales, are venues supplementing that in some way? Just curious to how this is affecting the revenue model for venues and musicians.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did the gig offer the same pay as last year or did they come down on you based on the number of people allowed in? For those that just earn a % of ticket sales, are venues supplementing that in some way? Just curious to how this is affecting the revenue model for venues and musicians.
Same pay. They have X amount of money allocated for entertainment. We agreed to the fee ahead of time and they did not waiver. Honestly, I would have played for free at this point. Don't tell them that though. :)

Moonman

Reaction score
Same pay. They have X amount of money allocated for entertainment. We agreed to the fee ahead of time and they did not waiver. Honestly, I would have played for free at this point. Don't tell them that though. :)
Thanks! I appreciate the info -- your secret is safe here!

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
San Francisco’s mayor, London Breed, issued a press release today:

Phase 3: Bars open mid-August; Phase 4: Live Performance venues “date to be determined”....

A member of one of my bands proposed we change our name to “Phase 5“.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got into a dilemma. One of the biggest name local bands needs a drummer. Talked to them extensively yesterday. They know me, We played on the same bill for years. They usually play 40 to 50 Gigs a year. Not sure that I want to be that busy. I work an intensive job full-time. My wife and I are both over 65, both healthcare workers, both have breathing issues. Asthma and allergies. Predisposing conditions. But, I don’t think there’s going to be that many gigs out there for a while. Trying to decide. I think I’ll probably do it, and if it ends up being too much quit. Yet another side of me says they shouldn’t go out there in crowds and that’s way more than I want to play. It’s going to be a tough choice!

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since the whole things started I've lost 27 gigs (some did get rescheduled for later this year). So far I've played 2 gigs this month (one was last night).

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
One of my outdoor June gigs was just cancelled. Waiting to hear about another. However, I picked up a late summer gig on the Outer Banks.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Late to the party here, but yes. My band did a couple of 'live stream' shows from an empty bar/brewery (weird). Tonight we have our first gig with an audience. Curious as to how many people show up.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Yup, we're back on again. Like EvEnStEvEn said, folks are out and about here in Oklahoma.
I was conflicted, but my deciding factors were my friendship with our singer and with the venue owner/operator. They are my best (only?) friends here.
I sincerely apologize to those of you who see our actions as threatening. When in Rome-lahoma...

p.s. will try to take some pics too

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got a call tonight to play a local community clean-up tomorrow and entertain the volunteers over a free lunch. Be interesting to try and pull off Billy Cobham on my bikini kit with the mostly acoustic band; many of which I am meeting for the first time. But hey its playing in front of a crowd outside in the summer sun.

The Clean Up and Stand Together setlist:

Walking Man - Dave Mathews

Grey Street - Dave Mathews

Lodi - CCR

Green river -CCR

Flake- Jack Johnson

Life on a chain - Pete Yorn

Rocket Man – Elton John

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Tiny Dancer – Elton John

Aint No Sunshine – Bill Wither

Got to get better in a little while – Derek and the Dominos

Whats Going On – Marvin Gaye

Shaky Ground - Delbert McClinton

Sir Duke – Stevie Wonder

Stratus – Billy Cobham

Europa - Santana

Samba Ba Ti - Santana

My girl – The Temptations

Thats what love will make you do - Little Milton

The way you do the things you do – Smoky Robinson

Soulshine – The Allman Bother

The times they are a changing – Bob Dylan

Blowing in the wind , Stevie wonder style

I Second That Emotion – Smoky Robinson

How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) Marvin Gaye

Higher Ground – Stevie Wonder

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I played 4 gigs in May and every Saturday in June, including last night.
3 bookings confirmed for July with August & September dates pending.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This felt so good

Two sold-out shows on one night because of the rules

Both with a 30 person audience and the first one was streamed too.

5C452A3D-E29C-43F3-986F-C6E0DA1ABEA4.gif

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Home from my 4th of July gig tonight. Outside on a trailer for a street dance. Playing again on Saturday July 11th, locally.

Had a chance to do a string of dates in Wisconsin this month with a songwriter pal but turned it down.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I played outside at a brewery last night. Masks and social distancing were required (most people did a good job). Playing an outdoor bike fest at the end of the month, and two other July gigs are pending, one of which is a road date in Georgia. We shall see.