Are original 60's Ludwig Orchestra batter heads worth this much?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ebay auction link

Up to $135 now shipped. Part no. 2979981, Between 2 bidders who ran themselves up. But seller keeping ID's secret which seems problematic. What's interesting is that this seller took this head off their 1964 Acrolite to sell separately. The Acrolite is doing pretty well too, even without the top head......around $250 with shipping so far. I could see a mint head being worth that kind of money for use on a Ringo snare. But with decent wear wouldn't have thought it more than $20-$40.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shipping showed up as $60 too! I have ones in way better condition than that and suppose I should list them.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You have to wonder how legit the bidding was? Private identities for one. Then you have 2 bidders running it up from $74 to $112. In fact the "winning" bidder hit every increment over a 1-2 min span to uncover the other bidder's max bid placed way back at $74. I'd question if this item even sold to a "new" owner.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You have to wonder how legit the bidding was? Private identities for one. Then you have 2 bidders running it up from $74 to $112. In fact the "winning" bidder hit every increment over a 1-2 min span to uncover the other bidder's max bid placed way back at $74. I'd question if this item even sold to a "new" owner.
Seems totally legit. The winning bidder simply submitted a bid so high that the competitor couldn't surmount it. Every time the competitor submitted a higher bid in the last couple of minutes, the winning bidder's high bid simply (and automatically) topped each bid. I've done this a couple of times on items that I really needed but could not monitor in real-time. I submitted a bid that reflected the maximum amount that I was willing to pay and then let the auction run on auto. Surprisingly, I remember winning both of those auctions for much less money than I'd anticipated.

GeeDeeEmm

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The bidding had those roles reversed. The nuclear bid of $111 entered by the under-bidder, over 8 hrs before the auction ended was never readjusted. It was the winning bidder who came in an hour after that bid was made, who "uncovered" that max bid by hitting every bid increment until they were the new high bidder at $112. The now under-bidder gave up and never came back. And I don't blame them since this leaves open the possibility of tampering with the auction. I feel better when the other guy makes $10, $20 jumps or just puts in their own max bid. These 15 or so $1-$2 bid increments all placed within a minute (ie not an automatic max bid) just smells "questionable" to me. This is not how 95% of the Ebay auctions go down.

No new bids the last 7 hrs of the auction. I get a "bad" feeling when I see systematic uncovering of a bid like that....and then hours of silence. 1. It could be someone just messing around w/o intent to pay......or 2. a shill working for the seller......or 3. even legitimate. I don't like 1 out of 3 odds.....especially when we already have a red flag with bidder's identities being kept private. For a drum head? Had the eventual winner of the auction won it with a nuclear max bid placed hours earlier....that would be normal.

Last edited: