Are There Any Lighter Alternatives for Rogers Floor Tom Mounts/Legs?

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking about my Rogers drums. I love the sound of these drums, but they are significantly heavier than my other sets. (At my age, I'm looking for things to be as light and manageable as possible.) One of the main culprits, in my opinion, is the floor tom. The mounts and the legs are very heavy when compared to my Ludwigs or my Gretsch.

I believe iNDE Drums makes floor tom mounts that are lightweight, but I believe they work for standard mounts like Ludwig. Are there any alternatives I could use that would help lighten the drums a bit?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Topsy!

Do you have the machined or cast mounts? The cast mounts from the Fullerton era would be lighter, but not sure how much lighter. Yes, the lugs and mounts on pre-Fullerton drums do add to the weight, but, personally, I would never think of changing the mounts on my Rogers kit. I love Swivo mounts and is what makes Rogers special. I just can't see that you'd lose any appreciable weight by changing the mounts. Just my opinion!

-Mark

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I
Hi Topsy!

Do you have the machined or cast mounts? The cast mounts from the Fullerton era would be lighter, but not sure how much lighter. Yes, the lugs and mounts on pre-Fullerton drums do add to the weight, but, personally, I would never think of changing the mounts on my Rogers kit. I love Swivo mounts and is what makes Rogers special. I just can't see that you'd lose any appreciable weight by changing the mounts. Just my opinion!

-Mark

I have the machined mounts, I believe. (My drums are from 1966.) I mean, I understand what you are saying with the mounts are part of what makes Rogers drums special. But when I was gigging regularly, I found myself frequently taking my Ludwigs due to their reduced weight. (I have already switched over to lightweight stands to save on weight.) My back isn't getting any younger, so I'm trying to do what I can to make things a bit easier for me. But I agree, the Rogers mounts are lightyears better than the Ludwigs.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to remove and save the old mounts, then get 3 of these and some aluminum straight rods from a hardware store. Picture shows top hoop. I prefer using the bottom hoop.

R-Class Universal Hoop Clamp

1603261725702.png

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 1967 Slingerland kit and a 1966 Rogers kit (the one shown as my avatar) and both have 16x16 floor toms. I'll weigh both of them tomorrow on my Pitney Bowes commercial scale and report back.

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I couldn't wait until tomorrow! Here are the results...

Slingerland 16x16 with legs... 13lbs. 9oz. Without legs... 12lbs. 1oz

Rogers 16x16 with legs... 17lbs. 2oz. Without legs... 15lbs. 2oz

Moral of the story? Rogers drums from the Ohio era, Covington and Dayton, are just heavy drums! Slingerland drums from the corresponding years weigh less.

A few years ago, I also weighed a 1970 Ludwig 16x16 and it weighs just a bit less than the Slingerland. This was due to the fact that the Ludwig used 1.6mm COS hoops and Slingerland was using much heavier COB Rim-shot (Stick Saver) hoops. Both Ludwig and Slingerland lugs and brackets are similar in weight.

The take away from all this is that I just don't feel you're going to lose much weight with your Rogers floor tom with the use of alternate legs. Rogers drums are just heavy! But, they're great!

-Mark

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Rogers Sta-tite leg brackets fit the vertical hole pattern for knobby mounts. They are probably lighter than knobbies (and still Rogers). Finding a set could be a challenge, though. I've often thought Sta-tites would be more practical for an active gigging drummer. While Swivo hardware is cool, it can be a PIA to set up. I'd rather use a wing screw than a drum key on a regular basis.

Attachments

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
these are great , and you can get aluminum legs too i have them on my rogers floor tom
check out the inde stuff for all of your floor tom needs ....

Attachments

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
these are great , and you can get aluminum legs too i have them on my rogers floor tom
check out the inde stuff for all of your floor tom needs ....
See, I’m intrigued by Inde’s stuff, but I don’t think they work with Rogers (at least that’s what I have heard).

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
You just need to use the two center holes for the knobby for the Inde mount. Get some chrome carriage bolts to fill the side holes that will be left behind.

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the knobby mounts are soOoO cool though. If you are gonna keep all the bass drum Swivo hardware the same, i dont see why changing the knobby mounts would make that much a difference with load in. The bass drum is much more awkward to carry than the FT.

But i definitely hear ya. Gotta watch that back. Good luck with the Inde mounts

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But the knobby mounts are soOoO cool though. If you are gonna keep all the bass drum Swivo hardware the same, i dont see why changing the knobby mounts would make that much a difference with load in. The bass drum is much more awkward to carry than the FT.

But i definitely hear ya. Gotta watch that back. Good luck with the Inde mounts
If I could come up with a lightweight alternative for the bass, I would jump on it. That Rogers bass is fantastic though, so I don’t want to give it up.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using aluminum INDe FT legs and bass drum spurs. They're light as a feather and grip in the mount better than knurled steel. One additonal benefit I've discovered about aluminum legs is that they're not nearly as stiff as steel, and combined with the INDe spring mounts I hear more resonance in the FT. I'm getting the same or more resonance now with aluminum legs and tiny floor tom feet as I did when I was using steel ones with those huge ISO feet. If there's any way you can use them with your set, then I can say with confidence that I believe you'll love them. Josh can tell you what will work, won't work, and what he recommends.