Are these 70's natural finish Slingerland drums salvageable?

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Atrocity Alert!

24" virgin bass drum, with 14" and 18" toms from the late 70's. They appear to be rosewood! But somebody long ago painted them aquamarine, then changed his mind, and stripped the paint off. But you can see the how its pickled blue in places. $500.

What do y'all think?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Except for the finish, no permanent monkey business like extra holes etc .

" Stout "( heh heh ) plies stay round

500 minus shipping may be a good negotiation .

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No claws or tension rods, no spurs or legs, 3 extra holes, a missing sticksaver, and a painted then poorly stripped finish...I would definitely agree that it is priced high.
A similar kit with an extra tom and everything but the original double tom holder has been sitting on CL and FB Marketplace in my area at $425 for a long while. I know ebay is a different animal, but still...

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
She looks too far gone. I'm gonna pass, even if it was offered at a lower price. I'm only interested in that 18" shell anyway, if it actually is rosewood, and I'm thinking it may not be. But they would need a thorough sanding to get all that aqua tint out, and those veneers are just too thin. Pity, she must have been just lovely new.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
For sure salvageable. However, the bearing edges don't look great. No problem refinishing the outside (and I am an amateur hack weekend "refinisher"). I don't have the tools to redo bearing edges, though. And I agree that $500 is a silly high price. Maybe $200 or up to $300 if they are much better in person, and you **REALLY** want these exact drums (????).....for $600, you can find a better Slingy kit that's complete & likely in better shape.