Are these ebay K hats legit?

Reaction score

I only ask because I've actually bought a pair from this seller before, but days passed without shipping notification, so I cancelled the order. I'm trying again months later, and these are by far the cheapest mint condition K Custom Dark hats on ebay. Is there any reason to believe they aren't legit? I'm not well-versed in Zildjian stamping and lathing, but maybe someone here can spot something.

It's been about 24 hours and they haven't shipped yet, so I've basically got my finger on the cancel button haha. The seller has plenty of good reviews though. My spidey-sense is just tingling...

Reaction score
They look good to me.
Hey, thanks. They do look fine to me as well. I guess this seller is pretty well known, I've found folks talking about them in another post here. Hopefully they ship soon. I am eager to get away from my Mastersounds. Those things are kind of abrasive.

Reaction score
Whoever that is, they always have lots of good stuff for good prices. I never bought anything from them though.

Yeah like I said, you're not going to find those hats at that price anywhere. Just got notified that they shipped, so I'll follow back up when I receive them.

Reaction score
Update: I received them and they look great, mostly. There are a couple tiny flaws that I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about. See pics. Just little imperfections that almost look like burn marks or oxidation or something. Anything to worry about? They do not appear to have been played at all.

Attachments

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is oxidation / corrosion or a reaction with a chemical, likely an acid or base; they should be fine if you clean and polish those areas. It's probably permanent. Something corrosive may have touched the cymbals in storage and started that process. I don't think it's a factory defect. At any rate, it's the reason you got those hats for a bargain price.

Reaction score
That is oxidation / corrosion or a reaction with a chemical, likely an acid or base; they should be fine if you clean and polish those areas. It's probably permanent. Something corrosive may have touched the cymbals in storage and started that process. I don't think it's a factory defect. At any rate, it's the reason you got those hats for a bargain price.
Thanks for the insight! They were advertised as "mint" so I might have a case against that, but I'm not worried about it. As long as they sound good and it's not a weak point in the cymbal, I'm good.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! They were advertised as "mint" so I might have a case against that, but I'm not worried about it. As long as they sound good and it's not a weak point in the cymbal, I'm good.
It could even be where water was in contact with them for an extended period. Clean those areas ASAP and maybe get some cymbal polish on them, and you will stop whatever was going on there.

Reaction score
It could even be where water was in contact with them for an extended period. Clean those areas ASAP and maybe get some cymbal polish on them, and you will stop whatever was going on there.
Will do - do you recommend a particular cleaner/polish? I typically do not clean my cymbals, so my knowledge in that space is not great.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Will do - do you recommend a particular cleaner/polish? I typically do not clean my cymbals, so my knowledge in that space is not great.
I think any metal polish will do - you're trying to remove residues of whatever caused those discolorations, not actually trying to polish the metal back to any luster. Clean with soap first (Dawn is fine), rinse well with water, allow to dry thoroughly, and apply polish. The marks will likely remain, but you have stopped further damage.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well . . . those cymbals were forged in fire, had the crap hammered out of them, and will be beaten with a stick for the rest of their lives. I think you're obsessing over something that is not worth worrying about. I've seen those marks on cymbals before, had them on one or two of mine, and have no idea what causes them. Mine came off the first time I polished them. Don't sweat it. Nothing is wrong with them.

Just my humble, uneducated opinion.

Zenstat????????

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts