ARE YOU THE FIRST TO ARRIVE AT A GIG?

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was gigging (long ago) our band had roadies who drove the truck and set up the gear. The band arrived together around three hours before the start time on the contract. We all spent up to a half hour dialing in our gear, then we'd soundcheck and grab dinner. Often the road crew was short a man, in which case I'd fill in, so on those days I was first in/last out.

In the days since, when everyone brings their own gear I always arrive at least two hours before first note. Always. I'm usually the last out, unless alcohol is served at the venue, in which case bandmates may hang around drinking while this teetotaler makes his sober way home.

Myetkt

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I insist on the wife having everything set up ready to go at least 2 hrs before downbeat, that way I have a chance to talk with the guys and relax a little. After, I’m good with her having everything packed and put away by the time I’ve had a couple beers. Usually I’m tired and ready for her to make my dinner.

(I’m first in, last out).

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First in last out for me as well. In addition to the drums, I'm also a taper/videographer so have gear related that to setup/teardown. Sometimes PA responsibility as well, depending on the gig.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was gigging (long ago) our band had roadies who drove the truck and set up the gear. The band arrived together around three hours before the start time on the contract. We all spent up to a half hour dialing in our gear, then we'd soundcheck and grab dinner. Often the road crew was short a man, in which case I'd fill in, so on those days I was first in/last out.

In the days since, when everyone brings their own gear I always arrive at least two hours before first note. Always. I'm usually the last out, unless alcohol is served at the venue, in which case bandmates may hang around drinking while this teetotaler makes his sober way home.
What in the heck takes you 2 hours ???

Quai34

Reaction score
There is nothing worse for a drummer than trying to set up in the space they left you, (which is now littered with guitar and mic cords),...then you try to get past a barricade of music and mic stands with your drums and cases and the rest of your stuff!...No thank you!...it's 2 hours early for me.
Same here, especially because, when we have a show and I bring all in for keys, my footprint is 9"X6", while the drums are 7"X5".
So, I want to be alone to set up but usually, not only I'm the first one but the others are usually late...And because I set up PA, mics etc, I end up being the first to set up Finally, last to do my sound check and last to tear down...
For me, a 4 hours show is like a 10/12 hours shift, between pacing stuff, driving to the show, setting up keys and most of the time microphones for drums and singers, setting up IEM etc., 3/4 hours, 4 hours show and 2 hour tear down, driving back, unloading and done....And, I don't count the time to set up back in the practice room.
So, it was the case with my two last bands and because I was the only one to have made the effort to understand the PA (even if the Allen and Health 16 channels digital board QU16 was belonging to the guitarist!!), it was me first for everything (ok, officially, I'm band leader, musical director, sound and light guy...and keys)
So, next show, I said, "I will hire a guy to help me to set up p, he will do sound guy during the show and I take 1.5 or time 2 for my They said ok, good with us.
So, I will still be first in, last out¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

Last edited:

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never been a first-in guy. I give myself enough time to be set up thirty minutes before soundcheck so I can chill out with a beer.

In my last group the bandleader/guitar player would show up about four hours before our set time and three hours before soundcheck. Like clockwork he'd fail to set up in time and we'd start soundcheck thirty minutes late, finish it with five minutes to spare, and then start our set fifteen minutes late. It was a drag. The bass player could also be counted on to hold things up. He'd drop his gear off at the same time the bandleader arrived and then go to dinner with his wife. He'd then show up about the time soundcheck was scheduled and usually get his rig together by the time the guitar player was finally ready.

The singer, keyboard player, and I were the only ones ever ready to go on time.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never been a first-in guy. I give myself enough time to be set up thirty minutes before soundcheck so I can chill out with a beer.

In my last group the bandleader/guitar player would show up about four hours before our set time and three hours before soundcheck. Like clockwork he'd fail to set up in time and we'd start soundcheck thirty minutes late, finish it with five minutes to spare, and then start our set fifteen minutes late. It was a drag. The bass player could also be counted on to hold things up. He'd drop his gear off at the same time the bandleader arrived and then go to dinner with his wife. He'd then show up about the time soundcheck was scheduled and usually get his rig together by the time the guitar player was finally ready.

The singer, keyboard player, and I were the only ones ever ready to go on time.
I don’t think I’d last long with people like that.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES, I'm normally 2 hours early. I like to have everything setup and tuned then get out of the way, relax as the others show up. I hate it when everyone is setting up and I have to work around them. If they are setup before I get there, there's never enough room for a drummer then I have to be NICE, ask if I or you could move an amp or guitar stand, etc.

sherm

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
If it's a place we have played often, so I know exactly what to expect, I'll arrive about 25 minutes before downbeat and be ready to play with five minutes to spare. I'm often NOT the last one to arrive.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’m usually first. Playing in busy downtown areas I like to find parking that’s close to the gig, set up without anyone in my way and then relax. Maybe have dinner and a drink before the gig. I don’t waste any time when the gig is over. I pack up right away. If I’m going to hang around after that I’ll leave my gear on stage until I’m ready to go.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always the first to arrive and last to leave. As others have said, there's nothing worse than arriving after everyone else and trying to carve out a spot, or even at the same time where we're tripping over each other. We played an outdoor show this past Friday night and I was 99% set-up when my first bandmate arrived.

Since it was outdoors, I had to mic my drums and the older I get, the more I hate outdoor gigs and mic'ing my drums. I was still wrapping mic cables and putting away my mics and hadn't even starting packing my drums, when my bandmates were all packed and ready to leave. They stuck around and helped me load my car.

But yeah... first in, last out.

0F8F7353-12E3-422D-A95A-CA1E017CE49A.jpeg

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always the first to arrive and last to leave. As others have said, there's nothing worse than arriving after everyone else and trying to carve out a spot, or even at the same time where we're tripping over each other. We played an outdoor show this past Friday night and I was 99% set-up when my first bandmate arrived.

Since it was outdoors, I had to mic my drums and the older I get, the more I hate outdoor gigs and mic'ing my drums. I was still wrapping mic cables and putting away my mics and hadn't even starting packing my drums, when my bandmates were all packed and ready to leave. They stuck around and helped me load my car.

But yeah... first in, last out.

View attachment 518339
I’m with you on not liking outdoor gigs ..
Yukk ….

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Playing a gig in the LA area suburbs? I'll arrive an hour before the doors open, mostly park without a problem, and load in.

Playing a gig anywhere in the LA city limits? I'll arrive two hours before the doors open, because finding parking can be a DISASTER. I want the closest parking spot possible to the venue doors. I've been in situations where I've had to cart all my stuff MANY city blocks to get there. Not a good way to start the gig.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually don't know exactly where to set up before the others arrive. Also, as I cannot carry everything in one trip, depending on the venue I might not be comfortable leaving stuff without someone keeping an eye on it. I usually set up the drums on the rug first, and fine tune my position by dragging around the rug after the pianist has decided how to turn the piano. The I put up the cymbals.