• Canopus Oak 3 ply 5.5x14

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go with none of the above and vote for something walnut or mahogany. I have two walnut snares from DaVille Drumworks and I use them more than any of my other wooden snares.

Gretsch offers a walnut and a mahogany snare in their Full Range line, and both are great drums.

I couldn’t agree more with the Walnut suggestion (AND the DaVille suggestion). Of all the woods, it just has this special mojo. Even tuned up high, walnut retains this dark, full tone that’s unique. And it’s a very satisfying sound - loads of low end, very clean mids and highs, nothing dissonant or off. Mahogany and Bubinga are also fantastic tonewoods that make for a great drum.

I’m fortunate to have many wonderful snares to play, and my 13x7 walnut (DaVille shell) gets more airtime than any other. If you’re into the Imperial lug look, build a drum with Imperials and a P88. Imho, you’ll get a superior drum, and a custom drum (or a drum you build) is always special. I’d look at DaVille for a Resonate stave shell (1/4” shell with integral rerings) or Summit for a SSB shell. Both will get you a world-class drum that’s quite different from anything off-the-shelf and will put a big ol’ smile on yer face.
26D54711-FFB3-4D95-BBAA-E7A06B683040.jpeg

For a factory made drum with Imperials, I really like the Club Date snare drums - they have a very different sound profile than a CM drum.

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That’s obscenely gorgeous. Is that a roundover/30 degree edge? Same edges top and bottom, or a sharp 45 on the reso?
30 degree round over on both sides. This drum is everything I thought it would be to the nines. It’s incredible in every imaginable way.

Last edited:

Six-Ply

Reaction score
I would suggest a Tama Star Walnut or Star Maple in whichever size suits your fancy.

Hell even one of the various Tama SLP snares that are considerably less expensive than most of your choices would get the job done with aplomb.

Chasforeman

Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more with the Walnut suggestion (AND the DaVille suggestion). Of all the woods, it just has this special mojo. Even tuned up high, walnut retains this dark, full tone that’s unique. And it’s a very satisfying sound - loads of low end, very clean mids and highs, nothing dissonant or off. Mahogany and Bubinga are also fantastic tonewoods that make for a great drum.

I’m fortunate to have many wonderful snares to play, and my 13x7 walnut (DaVille shell) gets more airtime than any other. If you’re into the Imperial lug look, build a drum with Imperials and a P88. Imho, you’ll get a superior drum, and a custom drum (or a drum you build) is always special. I’d look at DaVille for a Resonate stave shell (1/4” shell with integral rerings) or Summit for a SSB shell. Both will get you a world-class drum that’s quite different from anything off-the-shelf and will put a big ol’ smile on yer face. View attachment 524288
For a factory made drum with Imperials, I really like the Club Date snare drums - they have a very different sound profile than a CM drum.
Great suggestions for walnut. I built a walnut stave kit on commission a year ago and have thought about going in that direction as well.