Arizona Drum Shop has the Ludwig Extended L-Arm/Ball!!

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ron’s got one left as of this moment. Seems like a very helpful guy

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For anyone looking for this discontinued part from Ludwig, I was able to find some at the Arizona Drum Shop. I bought three, but they still have some left. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
Thanks for the heads up. In a few days I should be able to use a 22” ride on the L arm without banging the tom

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

what's the rod diameters
9, 10.5, 12.7
and there's a 12

another 12mm

9.5mm/ 3/8”. Its easy finding ball arms. The ones in question have a longer horizontal on the arm to let you move a tom further out from a canter mounted platform. The idea is to get a tom in a similar position to a rail mount with a center mount tom arm

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones in question have a longer horizontal on the arm to let you move a tom further out from a canter mounted platform
I got that.... the mm of the rod that fits old 60s diameter Ludwig bracket eludes me- to no end...(I found an extended L- to fit old Classic bracket and it was an MIJ part...)
Did Ludwig enlarge the bracket diameter (to fit new L-rod ball arms) at some point or is it the same old bracket Diameter.
That's a (large) L-arm (w/o ball) I found that fit old Classic bracket) Nevermind carry on)

Image0296.jpg

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got that.... the mm of the rod that fits old 60s diameter Ludwig bracket eludes me- to no end...(I found an extended L- to fit old Classic bracket and it was an MIJ part...)
Did Ludwig enlarge the bracket diameter (to fit new L-rod ball arms) at some point or is it the same old bracket Diameter.
That's a (large) L-arm (w/o ball) I found that fit old Classic bracket) Nevermind carry on)

View attachment 529566
9.5mm is the same as 3/8ths inch which was the standard for Ludwig brackets back then. The modern versions of the classic bracket still use those dimensions. 12.7mm is half an inch, another standard size that US makes (Gretsch, DW) use. 10.5mm was a size that, I believe, Tama introduced, not sure if it lines up with any particular English measurement or was just that dimension by design.

I'm betting that all the extended arms in Arizona are probably sold by now so if you want one the search will have to continue. There may well be more of them in dealer stocks out there somewhere and it's possible that maybe some of the online sellers have one or two left but delete them from their sales pages when the supply goes below a certain level. Time to let your fingers do the walking (either by phone or email). Maybe get in touch with Ludwig too to bring these back although maybe the demand is perceived to be too small to interest them.

You can make your own too. It's detailed in another thread. I'll post a link for those that stumble onto this thread in 2022 or beyond....

Thanks to Wolfman for tracking these down. Now I'm ready for another center post set.

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 529566
Just took a look at your picture. If you ever wanted an even longer arm for that, the base part of the current Pearl cymbal L arms is 9.5mm and fully knurled. Could be useful for getting a tom mounted of a micro bass to a useful height.

This also means I just learned I can mount a timbale on my bass drum. This might be useful if I can get the hang of the roots reggae stuff I’ve been trying to get the feel of
FF19573F-70F2-468F-9582-433B783A8D57.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Skipped out of work a little early today to find a package from Arizona waiting for me in NJ two days to the hour from when it was ordered, so Ron and the Post Office have me pretty impressed.

The arm works great to let a 22” cymbal share a 22” bass drum with a 13” tom on a center post without having to raise the cymbal to clear the tom mount. Ludwig should definitely bring these back.
7D31A5A7-B376-4889-9C92-BFF1EA99AFA7.jpeg

Attachments

Wolfman

Reaction score
I use some on an old 8x22 Leedy bass drum, but I like yours better! They look stronger than the ones I have. I think mine might be Danmar.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll "have to" cap and rubber tip the tips and that's it )
I think I had to 1st put clear tubing then a vintage ft leg black Cap on; ' done
(15 years ago it seems! never a second thought again)

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama makes a long L arm (no ball) for percussion too. I'm not sure if it's 9mm or 9.5mm (what's a half millimeter between friends) but it will work with Ludwig rail mounts. I use one with my club date and my "jazzette" to get the tom over further from the center mounted rail.