Armand Zildjian Ltd. Ed. Vintage A Ride — Memphis Drum Shop

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, obviously I didn't mean NOS, which, for me has little value. I'm talking £/€ too. Just found 6 or 7 50s As for under €250 on European sites.

One has to consider NOS cymbals for comparison pricing the 100 yr Armand anniversary cymbals.....because that's what they are....new and never used.
It doesn't make any sense to compare well used and patina'd to fully brilliant NOS.

I've sold numerous used 20" 1950's A's on Reverb in the $175-$225 range....and from home quite a few at $125-$150. Very easy to obtain, at least in medium weights. Thins and medium thins
are a lot harder. Well used pricing and availability doesn't have much bearing on what an NOS would fetch if one showed up. What kind of premium would an NOS 1950's WFL, Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch
or Rogers kit bring vs normal good condition? Probably 2X to 3X. Cymbals aren't much different.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
For collectors, the vault pies are cool. I like the vintage As on eBay since I’m not rich. Never know who played them. ;) there are so many beautiful As out in the wild.
You’re right on with this. As cool as these cymbals are, they are like buying uncirculated coins mint in wrapper. You can’t actually use them for what they were intended for, or they are going to drop way down in value from the price you paid.

I too enjoy finding “good ones” out of the As out there for sale. I currently have a few I’m holding onto because they sound so sweet.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
You’re right on with this. As cool as these cymbals are, they are like buying uncirculated coins mint in wrapper. You can’t actually use them for what they were intended for, or they are going to drop way down in value from the price you paid.

I too enjoy finding “good ones” out of the As out there for sale. I currently have a few I’m holding onto because they sound so sweet.
Yep, nothing wrong for the collector. But they’re meant to be played. I’ve been through buying and selling vintage As
and landed on a set of As that I like a lot. I often will mix one with some modern Zildjians.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some are "meant" to be collected and their original condition "preserved" when they are some of the very last survivors. You can still play them and enjoy the sounds
for short periods of time. I have some nearly NOS vintage A's that I don't mind "tapping" on from time to time to retune my ears to what they sound like. They don't have to
stay buried in a cymbal bag or case all their lives. On the other hand, you're not going to gig an NOS $2000 A for days and weeks each year. Why not try to locate one nearly like it, in A- or B+
condition (for 1/3 to 1/2 the price) and enjoy playing it somewhat frequently?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, nothing wrong for the collector. But they’re meant to be played. I’ve been through buying and selling vintage As
and landed on a set of As that I like a lot. I often will mix one with some modern Zildjians.

What did you settle on?