Armands

little rock

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Armands, crashes, rides, hats and a "beautiful baby". Thinking about breaking them out and giving them a go. Is anyone using any of them nowadays? I never really cared for them, but as I get older, my tastes seem to change.

tbird8450

Reaction score
I don't have much experience with the crashes and hats, but love the Beautiful Baby for the right jazz setting. They can be vastly different from each other, though. I've heard some duds and some true beauties, so I suppose it depends on which side yours falls. Why not give them a shot again? If it all goes wrong, unload them for something you do like.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you see this chat going on about Armands?

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got hats crash and Beautiful Baby. The hats and crash are killer. I'd love to trade the Beautiful Baby for a 21"

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using the hats and 16 inch crash for gigs the past couple years. The crash is quick but has enough body for a 16 that it can be heard in my rock and blues band.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kit in my rehearsal space has some Armand hats.

I bring my own cymbals, but started using the Armand hats and now really like them.

Brought my New Beats last week and now realize that not only am I more familiar with the Armands, I’ve really grown to like them.

Much heavier than my hollow logo New Beats but not brash or edgy at all. Articulate without any sharpness.

At some point I’m going to have to buy myself a pair.

egw

Reaction score
I used to have a 20 that I put 2 rivets into. It was a gorgeous cymbal, but a couple years back I sold it when I was stupidly trying to thin out my collection for no particular reason. It was just too close in tone to a Trans Stamp A I have, so I decided to let it go. Really wish I had that one back.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be a niche for them, some people really really want them. I had a 14" crash recently that sold as soon as I listed it. I've always thought they were nice, but nothing I couldn't get from other cymbals.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a baby ride that is superb. Then an 18” thin Armand crash...real pure with no strange overtones. I really like them.

Reactions: JDA

mpungercar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
a 18” thin Armand crash...real pure with no strange overtones.
Yes! I have the hats, a 21 ride and a 18 thin crash, and you're correct the 18" thin crash is the gem of the set.

I also find it interesting that someone like Simon Phillips, who is a real stickler for sound, uses an all Armand setup. The only non-Armand cymbals in his setup are his china/swish cymbals.