Artimus Pyle Plane Crash Movie Promises Plenty of Humor, Sex, Drugs and Rock ' Roll

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I met Artimus Pyle, my favorite Skynyrd, once at a drum clinic/workshop of sorts at a festival in North Carolina. I was happy to tell him how much the band meant to me back when I was a youngster.

Between him, Travis Barker and Paul McCartney, drummers seem to be luckier than most when it comes to walking away from aircraft incidents.

From Iheartradio.com:
Lynyrd Skynyrd Drummer's Plane Crash Biopic Gets Release Date
By Andrew Magnotta @AndrewMagnotta
May 14, 2020

A biopic built around Lynyrd Skynyrd's deadly 1977 plane crash will be available on DVD, Blu-ray and video on demand on June 30.

Street Survivors: The True Story of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash tells the story of one of the greatest tragedies in rock and roll history through the eyes of the band's former drummer, Artimus Pyle, who spearheaded the project.

Pyle survived the 1977 plane crash and pulled others from the wreckage. In the film, his character serves as the narrator. He's played by actor Ian Shultis.

The real Pyle advised the production and contributed original music to the film's soundtrack.

"This film's story — my story — is not just about the plane crash but also about my personal relationship with the genius that was [late-Lynyrd Skynyrd singer] Ronnie Van Zant, whom I loved like a brother and still miss to this day," Pyle said in a press release.

Pyle made the film without the blessings of his surviving former bandmates or the current incarnation of the band. Lawsuits attempting to halt the film were eventually overturned, but the band refused to allow its music to be used in the movie.

The drummer predicted in February that the film would become a "cult classic" Despite the film being built around the tragedy of the plane crash he says there's also plenty of "humor and sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. That's the way it was in the '60s and '70s."

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a shame they can't use classic Lynyrd Skynyrd music in this but I'm still interested in watching.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Don't tell me, let me guess. This is somehow related to Bigfoot?

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the early 2000s, my band at the time did a short run with the Artimus Pyle Band. It was interesting to say the least. Both he and his son were playing drums at the time, so I was asked/forced to play one of their kits each night in the small clubs we were playing. They both have REALLY long arms. LOL

Artimus can be a very kind and caring guy. I saw him give a homeless veteran the boots off his feet in Tennessee. He spent countless hours with his fans. There is also a flip side to him that I won't elaborate on here, but he can be very gruff and difficult at times. Can't we all?

All in all, it was a good run for my band. We got along with the APB guys great. They were all really cool. Artimus will be forever linked to Skynyrd and the plane crash. That is both a blessing and a curse for him. He has said as much. I hope he can find peace one day. I also hope this project helps him.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I've met him and friends have met him. He was nice. To a man/person, he tells the story about the plane crash. I don't know if he was or is a pedophile. I hope not obviously. I hope the movie makes him some money for his retirement/healthcare/etc.