Artist Signature Snares you really like

fibes3

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Frequently when there's a Fibes chrome fiberglass snare drum for sale, it's mentioned that Buddy Rich liked this snare so much, he often used it instead of the contracted endorsement.
Seller's like to use this as a selling point even though, as I understand it, Fibes never officially sponsored Buddy Rich.

In short...my comment was suppose to be a joke.
Oh well!

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
The only two I have are the Yamaha Peter Erskine snare drums - the 10" sopranino and 12" soprano. I loved the way he used them on 90s recordings like Time Being, and 25 years later, I finally picked them up. With snares on or off, they make great auxiliary snares.

kzac

Reaction score
To me, an Artist signature head is a marketing ploy.... sure if I were a highly recognized percussionist, I would want a drum bearing my name.. but its still nothing more than marketing jazz.
I have played them before but never found them to be better than standard offerings from drum manufacturers.
Unless your just rolling in the dough, I would punt on a signature snare and acquire more useful items for your kit.

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
I have a first series maple Weckl Yamaha snare from ‘89. For the most part, artist snares seem like minor tweaks on something that can be bought without the name. The dual strainer on the Weckl is unique and really useful. I’d love to try a brass Greb drum, but that price tag is insane.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I haven’t played either but I like the looks of the Pearl Ian Paice and Ticco Torres snares.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the Peter Erskine birch piccolo snare that Yamaha made in the 90s. Nice drum!

I have also used, though never owned, the Pearl Chad Smith and it sounds great both live as well as in the studio. I've heard other drummers compliment it frequently. Pearl's snare mojo continues....

Dan

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I find the Yamaha Garabaldi to be quite nice.
I've got the non branded version ,the Yamaha SD-4103
Only difference is badge and blue finish.
That’s the first drum I thought of. I haven’t played one, but, I love the look, and the sweet CRACK DG gets out of it. I wonder what he’s playing now?