ASBA Caroline is back.....

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm not crazy...

20220628_210544.jpg

Still in my files
Sent to me along with a catalog and many other one sheets about 40 years ago. I used to send in a catalog request about every three months.

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
cymbals have a musical function; pedals, have a function
I hear ya Joe. There's a "Pedal Joe" out there somewhere (maybe not on here) that would love to debate you on that. You know I love ya man...

Reactions: JDA

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm not crazy...

View attachment 568369

Still in my files
Sent to me along with a catalog and many other one sheets about 40 years ago. I used to send in a catalog request about every three months.
Hmmm the Pedal I’m thinking this was looks different it also attached to the top hoop of bass drum ……what was that pedal …????

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm the Pedal I’m thinking this was looks different it also attached to the top hoop of bass drum ……what was that pedal …????
Pro Mark....maybe, or Orange. One of those (if in fact they weren't the same pedal...my memory is hazy). Much like the Caroline I've never seen one in person but I do remember seeing ads for it.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pro Mark....maybe, or Orange. One of those (if in fact they weren't the same pedal...my memory is hazy). Much like the Caroline I've never seen one in person but I do remember seeing ads for it.
Yeah I think it was Orange ….I just did a google search and didn’t see what I was thinking about …..

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
Boy, I didn't think this announcement was comming anytime soon, it's been a long wait.

I'm still using my pair... they're coming up on 40-years old! There's a lot to like, like how fast/fluid it feels; easy to use top-mounted hoop attachment; carpet spike to prevent creep; quick breakdown by just squeezing the 'base-plate rods" out of the retention holes & backing them out; easy spring change-outs; easy adjustments for footboard/beater angle; that it can fold flat for travel...etc.... I think it was a class leader for the time in these aspects.

Here's some pics of the heel webbing material and the drive strap too. The srive strap is still holding up for me.

1656470730162.jpeg
1656470766638.jpeg

I was always impressed with the beater... I like the cam/saddle and the rod seems to have a slightly larger diameter compared to others (here it's extend in 26" beast mode!!!).
I think the major shortcoming was the spring tension adjustment was a bit janky and the spring connection ring can flatten/thin out on the swivel post.
I hope they address these two key issues and copy what Tama (and Pearl) improvements pictured below. It looks like ASBA moved away from the spring ring connector (I'd like to see that in more detail) and I'm curious about the tensioner.

1656470896437.jpeg
1656471007295.jpeg
1656471160969.jpeg

Tama's updated spring mechanism/system.

1656471658638.png
1656471692078.png
1656471565249.png

Attachments

• 1656471485378.png
    1656471485378.png
    267 KB · Views: 4
  • 1656471513676.png
    1656471513676.png
    290 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Reddy

Reaction score
So I'm not crazy...

View attachment 568369

Still in my files
Not cheap in 1980. I always wanted one but settled for a Yamaha 910 instead. Maybe now.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm not crazy...

View attachment 568369

Still in my files
I remember a Ludwig flyer (ad? catalog page?) that showed the Caroline, Ghost and Speed King with a headline like "Ludwig's Big 3 Pedals". It's not in the '75 or '80 catalogs because I have those. I think their distribution deal with ASBA for the Caroline was brief.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I remember a Ludwig flyer (ad? catalog page?) that showed the Caroline, Ghost and Speed King with a headline like "Ludwig's Big 3 Pedals". It's not in the '75 or '80 catalogs because I have those. I think their distribution deal with ASBA for the Caroline was brief.
YES! I had not seen the one that KO posted and was appreciative of it. The one that you mention is what I am looking for. Thanks for remembering it...Mike

T-2

Reaction score
I have an original and love it. If the new version is true to the original, I'm buying one.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That vaguely rings a bell. I think it was a magazine ad rather than a one sheet. Probably somewhere in a back issue of MD.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first encounter with the Caroline was at a rehearsal space in Edmonton Alberta in '75 . I could not believe a pedal could be this smooth and fast with a knock out punch . I've owned two since then , can't remember what happened to them but I most likely succumbed to the "next big thing" syndrome and let them go . DW 9000, Pearl Demon Drive , Axis , Sonor Giant Step were going to do miracles for me . Anyway, I've been using Yamaha's direct drive Flying Dragon almost exclusively for the past twenty years or so ( occasionally an old WFL Speed King) but I wouldn't mind trying out the re-issue Asba Caroline just to find out ....

I happen to believe that the solid foot board and mounting design has a lot to do with its performance . No heel hinge allows the pedal to move as fast as you are . You play the it, it doesn't play you .

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never seen nor played this pedal. What's special about them?

I mentioned some of the pro's/con's in my earlier post, but I didn't talk about the playing experience, which can be rather subjective...
I've owned/played in chronological order: Ludwig SK & Ghost; Caroline; Trick Bigfoot Pro 1-V (double pedal). I play back on the pedal and thus have a preference for 'long-boards' over hinged heel plates.

I had a used Speedking when I first started and it was sluggish to play and I couldn't pull off doubles. My more experienced friends had the same issue when playing my kit/pedal and they had to work harder to get those doubles. No doubt this pedal was a victim of OGS (old grease syndrome). So, after struggling with the SK for several months I upgraded to a Ghost and liked it at first but then tired of it, not really caring for the spring coil adjustment. It wasn't difficult to adjust the tension, however there was no independent adjustment of the beater and footboard angles without affecting the coil tension (as I recall). In retrospect this pedal didn't have a great foot 'feel' to me.

So, I started looking at other alternatives and went with the Caroline as it had all the independent adjustment I needed along with the other features mentioned above.
I thought the foot feel was excellent, it felt capable, fast and responsive, under foot. I think an important part of the subjective 'feel 'is due to the saddle, that connects the beater/footboard, which is a cam. I've not measured it, but it looks fairly concentric and delivers a fairly linear response for speed/power. This can be contrasted with more modern pedals from Pearl and Tama that provide several cam options from concentric to eccentric, thus biasing for a user's preference from a neutral, speed, or power setting. I think this is also what makes a (fresh) Speedking feel so good too, and why it is/was preferred by so many drummers. Take a look at the SK's 'rocker assembly' and you'll see a small cam (just above the upper portion of the 'connecting link').

1656519723973.jpeg
1656521435201.png

I used the Trick pedal on my e-Kit and it's direct drive system has a completly different feel for me than the ASBA. It took a couple of days to finally feel like I had 'control' of that footboard and that it wasn't moving faster than my foot. The Trick is extremely fast and responsive and has a good foot 'feel' to me. It has a every bit of adjustablity you could imagine. I have not tried the Tricks on my A-kit yet, preferring my old skool Carolines.

I can say the using the hand compression/pedal oscillation test, the Caroline doesn't rock/oscillate freely as long as the Trick Pro 1V does. So there my be a loss of energy indicated by that simple test.

I have always liked my Carolines, but that is a bias and the performance comparison to modern pedals may not warrant my type of product loyalty.
Heck, I look at the videos of the Ludwig Speed Flyer and am truly impressed with the action of that $200 pedal. I think it may be tough for Caroline to compete with modern pedals if they haven't addressed the shortcomings of their spring mechanism. Also, really curious what the price point will be... hard to beat the Ludwig, Tama, Pearls, etc.... for 'best bang (or boom) for your buck.'

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned some of the pro's/con's in my earlier post, but I didn't talk about the playing experience, which can be rather subjective...
I've owned/played in chronological order: Ludwig SK & Ghost; Caroline; Trick Bigfoot Pro 1-V (double pedal). I play back on the pedal and thus have a preference for 'long-boards' over hinged heel plates.

I had a used Speedking when I first started and it was sluggish to play and I couldn't pull off doubles. My more experienced friends had the same issue when playing my kit/pedal and they had to work harder to get those doubles. No doubt this pedal was a victim of OGS (old grease syndrome). So, after struggling with the SK for several months I upgraded to a Ghost and liked it at first but then tired of it, not really caring for the spring coil adjustment. It wasn't difficult to adjust the tension, however there was no independent adjustment of the beater and footboard angles without affecting the coil tension (as I recall). In retrospect this pedal didn't have a great foot 'feel' to me.

So, I started looking at other alternatives and went with the Caroline as it had all the independent adjustment I needed along with the other features mentioned above.
I thought the foot feel was excellent, it felt capable, fast and responsive, under foot. I think an important part of the subjective 'feel 'is due to the saddle, that connects the beater/footboard, which is a cam. I've not measured it, but it looks fairly concentric and delivers a fairly linear response for speed/power. This can be contrasted with more modern pedals from Pearl and Tama that provide several cam options from concentric to eccentric, thus biasing for a user's preference from a neutral, speed, or power setting. I think this is also what makes a (fresh) Speedking feel so good too, and why it is/was preferred by so many drummers. Take a look at the SK's 'rocker assembly' and you'll see a small cam (just above the upper portion of the 'connecting link').

View attachment 568448 View attachment 568456

I used the Trick pedal on my e-Kit and it's direct drive system has a completly different feel for me than the ASBA. It took a couple of days to finally feel like I had 'control' of that footboard and that it wasn't moving faster than my foot. The Trick is extremely fast and responsive and has a good foot 'feel' to me. It has a every bit of adjustablity you could imagine. I have not tried the Tricks on my A-kit yet, preferring my old skool Carolines.

I can say the using the hand compression/pedal oscillation test, the Caroline doesn't rock/oscillate freely as long as the Trick Pro 1V does. So there my be a loss of energy indicated by that simple test.

I have always liked my Carolines, but that is a bias and the performance comparison to modern pedals may not warrant my type of product loyalty.
Heck, I look at the videos of the Ludwig Speed Flyer and am truly impressed with the action of that $200 pedal. I think it may be tough for Caroline to compete with modern pedals if they haven't addressed the shortcomings of their spring mechanism. Also, really curious what the price point will be... hard to beat the Ludwig, Tama, Pearls, etc.... for 'best bang (or boom) for your buck.'
Very informative; thanks! I will be interested to read your opinion of the new Caroline pedals.

Reactions: Hop