ASBA Top Lug Robinson Signature Snare - This Might Be The Coolest Snare I've Seen >>

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Loved the sound, has a very metal/aluminum sound to it. Love it.

Seems a little complicated for me though. Those claws seem like I'd be whacking them every third hit.

Send me one and I'll give you a full review.

:p

afwdrums

Reaction score
it's an interesting concept, but it appears to cost about $1300, and I just can't imagine why...I'm reasonably sure I could fabricate something functionally similar using generic Worldmax parts for less than a 1/4 of that price

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I’ve tried one of these in a shop that carries this brand. It looks unique, that’s for sure, but I didn’t like the drum at all once I played it. Like someone else already said, I’m not at all sure why it’s priced so high.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
The past many, many years there have been new ideas for drums and drumming but most are either kinda dumb or just not that intereseting. I saw this on Sounds Like a Drum YT channel and thought, Wow, that is very cool, and usable. Not just some dumb idea to keep the folks in R&D employed. I'm sure it's Way out of my price range, but I do like the idea. This was built for JR Robinson.

ASBS Snare Drum

LFBarfe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the idea, but it seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Tarkus

Reaction score
This is the most innovative snare drum in decades. Just think about the possibilities it already has.

I have an old Gretsch snare with a similar shell, and the former owner changed the lower rim from 8 to 6 lugs. A lot of work, and the value of the drum obviously vanished (for collectors), but the sound changed, in my opinion to the better. So, if I see how easy you could just go for it with this concept. And change back if you don't like, or need something different.

Plus - in long term - you might be able to exchange rims (for wood, steel, die cast, aluminum, whatever ...) or even the shell. There would be endless possibilities for drummers who care about their sound (and not just about their 'brand'), and are able to experiment. But I don't know if this the way, ASBA thinks.

I'm happy that JR Robinson is involved in the development of this drum. He's not just a 'real good' drummer, he also has 'good ears' and good innovative ideas. I play a swish he developed, and it took it's time until I understood the cymbal, but it records just great. I also tested his 24 inch ride, and this I 'understood' immediately. Whatever he touches, sounds great, at least for recording, and for my taste.

Anyway, this is just praising the idea. To get a better opinion, I would love to see, play and test the drum at my own, which I haven't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
it's an interesting concept, but it appears to cost about $1300, and I just can't imagine why...I'm reasonably sure I could fabricate something functionally similar using generic Worldmax parts for less than a 1/4 of that price
I can confirm that, of all of the snare drums I've had my hands on, this is one of the finest instruments. It's impeccably well made and I could go on and on but all of this is stated in the video.

As for being able to replicate such a thing for less? Sure! If you're using cheap, generic parts and aren't accounting for your time and overhead, that might be feasible, though economy of scale certainly wouldn't be on your side and there are some unique parts you'd need to source.

Keep in mind how price structure works (my apologies if this is already quite obvious to you):

Cost of Goods + Cost of Manufacturing Time + Manufacturing Overhead = Production Cost
Production Cost x Desired Profit Margin = Sales Prices

This is probably the simplest version of a cost structure break down and doesn't account for the reality of the B2B sales chain (Manufacturer --> Distributor --> Retailer) and ensuring the necessary profit margins.
Tried to watch, but can't. I've never liked SLAD videos. The blah to (what I consider) important information ratio is just too high.
Ah well, to each their own! Lots of people don't have the patience for context and addressing the "why" and would much rather focus on the "what" and "how". That's perfectly fine- it's just not our approach.
looks like PIA.
It's really not at all.

I like the idea, but it seems like a solution in search of a problem.
As someone who owns 6, 8, and 10-lug drums specifically because of what they offer due to the lug configuration, I can say that this really isn't the case. This drum truly does offer a degree of unmatched versatility but you also have to have a need. If you can't imagine the value then you probably don't need it.

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
Regarding the opening of Cody's "Sounds Like A Drum" ....

Is that how ASBA is pronounced, by initialism... A. S. B. A.?
I always thought is was pronounced as an acronym = Azz-Buh.

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wish they'd hurry up and re-release the Caroline!
I think the closest we'll get is that T-shirt Cody is wearing. Several years ago I contacted them and they said they were working towards it. Contacted them a year later and got the same response.
After a reasonable amount of time I tried contacting them one more time about the progress and they didn't even bothered to respond. I got the hint.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A bit OT, but I think I’d be really happy if ASBA re-made the original Caroline pedal. I heard that the last people to make them were Ludwig, and the machinery went down with the ship when they left Chicago. This JR drum would drive me nuts IMHO.