Ash shell pack in progress

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly making progress on these shells. The finish is interesting.. it didn't come out as planned.. I learned a lot.. There is definite technique in playing with grain filler and dye, grain sealer..etc,.. Anyway.. still will be a very interesting kit.. Nordic full ash shells by the way..

Attachments

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Of course I dont know what you were originally going for, but I sure like where your winding up! I often see ash treated with a single stain and it completely misses on the unique grain patterns offered in the wood. I really like your approach and they are going to look amazing!

Good luck with the rest of the process and I am looking forward to the finished pics!!!

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wanted all the ash effects. I dyed the GRAIN FILLER with the black color and applied to the entire shell. Then sanded ALL of it back. If I have used GRAIN SEALER first,. I would have less color outside of the grain lines and more dramatic color pattern.. that is all really.. the FT ad BD look a bit better..

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are in a gloss finish.. The lighting on the first pics didn't show it.. Here is the 14 inch FT ready for legs and edges,.

Attachments

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do you think of Nordic's shell quality? I know you have/had a set of Barton Beech shells as well. Between the two, which do you think is better constructed?

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well,. they are different. I don't know which I would call BETTER..
- Nordics shells are thinner.
-Barton shells had more surface imperfections than Nordic.
- Barton shells being thicker, did feel more robust.
-Nordic had a much better customer service experience.
-EDIT,.. I got hoops w both the Barton and Nordic packs.. though the Nordic hoops I think are thicker and deeper.. (just better)

I still love my Beech kit made with Barton shells.. in fact it may be my fav as I've stop gigging with it except special events.
I'm not sure about an all ash shell like these yet.. if I had thought longer, I probably would have gotten birch with an outer ply of Ash.. but we will see. These are 100% Ash..

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That finish is great! What are you using for spray/how many coats?

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is about 6-7 coats of Polycrilic Don’t use it. I let cure for 4-5 days, buffed it and the finish got messed up a bit

Attachments

Latest posts