Asking for friend How many sets is too much ?

fusseltier

Reaction score
I have two sets, an 8 piece acoustic set and a Roland TD-6KV with an extra cymbal.
That's enough for me, but I could see having a second acoustic set with fewer pieces to have a choice of a small set or a large set, depending on what is needed.

wayneonthedrums

Reaction score
I recently truly evaluated my needs vs wants and reluctantly sold some leaving three sets.

DW Collectors which is my workhorse. Always sounds great and is always reliable.

1967 Rogers Holiday. This is my fun kit like taking out an old muscle car. Sounds great and whilst it hasn't let me down I wouldn't take it on tour. I do have three different size kick drums for this so in some ways it serves the purpose of three kits. This is always my kit for rehearsal and occasional recording.

RCI Acrylic that I have put mesh heads on, triggers and a Roland TD50 module. The e kit is great and I play this every night in the back room when everyone has gone to bed.

Whilst I do have a desire for other kits I know these three do it all and another set would likely just sit in cases.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bandit, you have soooooo many drums! I am asking for those 2 little ones that are barely visible, nothing more than that :) hope you’re well.
Little kits! In my barn! :) So far so good. Stay safe.

Kenwood

Reaction score
Another short novel, with no paragraphs.
I had a Japanese drum set as a kid (14) and loved playing them to records
I was never very good and my folks who were older hated the noise
Three of my older brothers were drummers. Two started in marching bands and all three gigged on weekends
So there were always drum kits in the house growing up.
Once I started going out with girls I sort of abandoned playing the drums.
Many years later in my late forties or so, married with two kids up and out
I became interested once again in playing. My best friend had a Pearl forum kit and the two of us had a ball playing them. I quickly found the identical kit. and bought them. They did not come with cymbals worth playing so I spent some more time on Craig's list trying to flesh out this one kit with decent hardware and cymbals. But not being one that can resist a good deal I ended up with another similar quality Ludwig accent kit. It was filthy and I found great relaxation and satisfaction from simply rubbing on those drums as I watched football or a hockey game. and making the kit clean and complete.
Surfing the drum gear for sale ads became a regular pastime. I stayed within my means and limited myself to buying used entry level kits for somewhere under a hundred dollars. And my plan was to sell them after cleaning them. The idea of collecting drums had not taken hold until I answered an ad for 10 used drums for $50.00 I flew over for a look and of the 10 drums 6 were unremarkable beat up entry level drums all the cleaning in the world would not have helped this group of tubs But the remaining 4 were vintage Japanese made drums in the exact orange sparkle wrap as my first kit back when I was 14, they were center lug design and in very good condition only the resonant side on the 12" and 14"ft were minus the heads hoops and extra long rods needed for the center luggers In order to try and find those missing parts I stumbled on this great forum. It was here that I realized the great amount of folks who enjoyed collecting and restoring these little MIJ kits The more I read the more info I absorbed. I started seeking out vintage MIJ kits and parts rather the more modern entry level gear I had started with. Since the low selling prices I found at the time were very similar. And I preferred the vintage look of these drums and they really sparked my sense of nostalgia. before long I had collected a dozen of these kits in an assortment of colors and in varied degrees of condition. I never cared for stacking the drums to save space and enjoyed displaying them set up one after another (though most without hardware or cymbals) I had always had a space I rented to play the drums and to serve as a general man cave the first space was decent size but not huge I later found a space that was enormous and have since managed to fill it full of drums .in the past four or five years I noticed the prices for MIJ drums started to spike up So I started to add mostly player grade American kits and retired marching bass drums(with band logos) to my collection Today the collection is one of the largest I have ever noted personally. It is both an ongoing joy and a great burden all at the same time.. my advice would be......... Don't over collect

Bigbonzo Just tying to participate here guy. I initially deleted my short novel with no paragraphs
But since you made the effort to quote my entire post in your reply, I decided I may as well restore my comment
Some post very seldom but try their best to contribute to a discussion, others post often and say very little
as far a I know, both are acceptable,
You have a few comments here on this thread that all seem like negative snipes at others
I know errors with composition seem to be a pet peeve for you and some others
but try a little tolerance as it is counterproductive and turns otherwise interested parties away from posting
but feel free to make any corrections along with your helpful critique in the quotes to my next book.
seP1010001 (4).JPG

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a Japanese drum set as a kid (14) and loved playing them to records
I was never very good and my folks who were older hated the noise
Three of my older brothers were drummers. Two started in marching bands and all three gigged on weekends
So there were always drum kits in the house growing up.
Once I started going out with girls I sort of abandoned playing the drums.
Many years later in my late forties or so, married with two kids up and out
I became interested once again in playing. My best friend had a Pearl forum kit and the two of us had a ball playing them. I quickly found the identical kit. and bought them. They did not come with cymbals worth playing so I spent some more time on Craig's list trying to flesh out this one kit with decent hardware and cymbals. But not being one that can resist a good deal I ended up with another similar quality Ludwig accent kit. It was filthy and I found great relaxation and satisfaction from simply rubbing on those drums as I watched football or a hockey game. and making the kit clean and complete.
Surfing the drum gear for sale ads became a regular pastime. I stayed within my means and limited myself to buying used entry level kits for somewhere under a hundred dollars. And my plan was to sell them after cleaning them. The idea of collecting drums had not taken hold until I answered an ad for 10 used drums for $50.00 I flew over for a look and of the 10 drums 6 were unremarkable beat up entry level drums all the cleaning in the world would not have helped this group of tubs But the remaining 4 were vintage Japanese made drums in the exact orange sparkle wrap as my first kit back when I was 14, they were center lug design and in very good condition only the resonant side on the 12" and 14"ft were minus the heads hoops and extra long rods needed for the center luggers In order to try and find those missing parts I stumbled on this great forum. It was here that I realized the great amount of folks who enjoyed collecting and restoring these little MIJ kits The more I read the more info I absorbed. I started seeking out vintage MIJ kits and parts rather the more modern entry level gear I had started with. Since the low selling prices I found at the time were very similar. And I preferred the vintage look of these drums and they really sparked my sense of nostalgia. before long I had collected a dozen of these kits in an assortment of colors and in varied degrees of condition. I never cared for stacking the drums to save space and enjoyed displaying them set up one after another (though most without hardware or cymbals) I had always had a space I rented to play the drums and to serve as a general man cave the first space was decent size but not huge I later found a space that was enormous and have since managed to fill it full of drums .in the past four or five years I noticed the prices for MIJ drums started to spike up So I started to add mostly player grade American kits and retired marching bass drums(with band logos) to my collection Today the collection is one of the largest I have ever noted personally. It is both an ongoing joy and a great burden all at the same time.. my advice would be......... Don't over collect

Bigbonzo Just tying to participate here guy. I initially deleted my short novel with no paragraphs
But since you made the effort to quote my entire post in your reply, I decided I may as well restore my comment
Some post very seldom but try their best to contribute to a discussion, others post often and say very little
as far a I know, both are acceptable,
You have a few comments here on this thread that all seem like negative snipes at others
I know errors with composition seem to be a pet peeve for you and some others
but try a little tolerance as it is counterproductive and turns otherwise interested parties away from posting
but feel free to make any corrections along with your helpful critique in the quotes to my next book.
View attachment 484813
I try my best not to snipe at others, and actually do very little sniping. I will attempt to be as helpful as I can.

Keep 'em comin', we love your comments.

Kenwood

Reaction score
I try my best not to snipe at others, and actually do very little sniping. I will attempt to be as helpful as I can.

Keep 'em comin', we love your comments.
that is kool with me bigbonzo after all we both like drums and are near the same vintage

This little MIJ made Ralston kit by Star was the one that started the whole collecting thing

attachment9D7S6O36.jpg

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that officially makes me a Sonor hoarder
make some room Frank!!

; )

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
make some room Frank!!

; )

Those look great Joe. I got a red 3 ply or I might be tempted

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: JDA

dingaling

Reaction score
Wait, is this including electric drum kits? Darn it, now I have to start over. 1....2.....3....