Asking for your advice buying e drum set

Andi69

Reaction score
Hi all,

I´m new here, from Germany and asking for your advise. I´m planning to buy a used e drum set to reactivate an "old love". ;-) My budget is max 2.000 Euros and want to get a complete "ready to go" - Set.

What´s your opinion of these offers sets and which should I take (and why)?

www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de

⭐ Yamaha Stage Custom Birch E-Drums, E-Schlagzeug Drum Tec
Biete hier mein großartiges von R-DRUMS maßgeschneidertes und durch ein Triggersystem und Zildjian...,⭐ Yamaha Stage Custom Birch E-Drums, E-Schlagzeug Drum Tec in Stuttgart - Birkach
www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de

www.ebay.de

Komplettes Schlagzeug Hybrid E drum mit Zubehör | eBay
Finden Sie Top-Angebote für Komplettes Schlagzeug Hybrid E drum mit Zubehör bei eBay. Kostenlose Lieferung für viele Artikel!
www.ebay.de

www.willhaben.at

Roland E-Drum TD-17 Mega Set (über 100 Kits), € 1.799,- (6922 Wolfurt) - willhaben
Roland E-Drum TD-17 Mega Set (über 100 Kits). 8.276.681 Angebote. Günstig kaufen und gratis inserieren auf willhaben - der größte Marktplatz Österreichs.
www.willhaben.at
www.willhaben.at

Please apologize that these offers are in German. Hopefully you can get the important nevertheless.

Thanks in advance.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boom theory
Al Adinolfi has been working with E-drums for almost 30 years now.
The guy is smart and honest.
Contact him at his website, or his Facebook page, or Twitter.
The guy will help ya out.

Elvis

jemmmbey

Reaction score
Hi Andi

Here are my thoughts;

No for Yammy; old module and Gen16 are not really electronic cymbals, it's a different technology than didn't go anywhere further since it's introduction.

No for Pearl too, too much of an hybrid kit with too many elements from different brands. Probably it doesn't have any compatability issue but I wouldn't go for it for that budget

Roland/ATV looks like the best of the bunch but with any Roland tom pad (other than new VAD ones that has a different trigger design) you will suffer from hotspotting issue. It's a fact for all meshed pads with a central trigger cone. The issue is that when you hit the center of the drum, you hit right onto the trigger cone and it produces a signal with extremely high velocity which practically means a powerful hit sound. If you are playing rock/metal where you don't use dynamics so much, then hotspotting wont be a big issue. But if you are playing any genre that will demand a wide of range dynamic playing, then hotspotting will be a big pain in the a$$.

Finally, here is my advice...slightly over your budget but it's a decent kit

All ATV drum pads come with a 3-cone trigger design where there is no trigger in the center so there is no hotspotting. After playing Roland and Yammy DTX for years, I have ATV toms now and I'm extremely happy with them. TD-17 is also a good module for entry level. The only disadvantage of the kit is ATV cymbals. Compared to Roland/Yamaha, triggering the edge on ATV cymbals needs a bit harder hit but I don't think it will be problem for you as you are not used to another model at the moment.

I hope this helps. Happy drumming.

Andi69

Reaction score
Hi Andi

Here are my thoughts;

No for Yammy; old module and Gen16 are not really electronic cymbals, it's a different technology than didn't go anywhere further since it's introduction.

No for Pearl too, too much of an hybrid kit with too many elements from different brands. Probably it doesn't have any compatability issue but I wouldn't go for it for that budget

Roland/ATV looks like the best of the bunch but with any Roland tom pad (other than new VAD ones that has a different trigger design) you will suffer from hotspotting issue. It's a fact for all meshed pads with a central trigger cone. The issue is that when you hit the center of the drum, you hit right onto the trigger cone and it produces a signal with extremely high velocity which practically means a powerful hit sound. If you are playing rock/metal where you don't use dynamics so much, then hotspotting wont be a big issue. But if you are playing any genre that will demand a wide of range dynamic playing, then hotspotting will be a big pain in the a$$.

Finally, here is my advice...slightly over your budget but it's a decent kit

All ATV drum pads come with a 3-cone trigger design where there is no trigger in the center so there is no hotspotting. After playing Roland and Yammy DTX for years, I have ATV toms now and I'm extremely happy with them. TD-17 is also a good module for entry level. The only disadvantage of the kit is ATV cymbals. Compared to Roland/Yamaha, triggering the edge on ATV cymbals needs a bit harder hit but I don't think it will be problem for you as you are not used to another model at the moment.

I hope this helps. Happy drumming.
Hi Jemmbey,

thanks a lot for your feedback and your advice. Difficult thing overall. ;-)

I really like the look of an acoustic drum set combined with the low noise and the sound creativity of an e-drum.

Yes, the Gen16 was also my biggest concern about the Yamaha kit. Never found a real positive review of them.

Do you have any insights of the 2box stuff which is installed in the Pearl set? Would you change your opinion if I can get the kit for 1500 Euros? Or what price do you think is appropriate?

Thanks for your info about the 3rd set. Not aware of these issues with the triggers of the Roland tom´s. I appreciate your effort a lot.

I will have a deeper look into your posted ATV kit. Maybe with all the stuff that is also necessary, it could get out of my budget. ;-)

jemmmbey

Reaction score
I havent heard any bad review of 2box but never tried it personally, either. One thing I know is that the module is good with uploading your own samples and some people even uploaded Superior Drummer stuff into it. Yes, acoustic-like pads look cool but I'm not sure about ddt triggers as they are also located in the centre. Hotspotting is a big issue. It's crazy that Roland has sold thousands of pads with hotspotting while they were untouchable because of patent protection. As soon as the protection expired, ATV came out with 3-cone design where there is no cone in the center. Roland also moved the only trigger closer to edge on latest VAD rack toms. They use 3-cone only on the floor toms. It's unbelievable that they are trying to make profit by saving 2-cones on rack toms :)

Again, it comes down to your expectation for realism and dynamic range which depends on the genre you will play.

Andi69

Reaction score
I havent heard any bad review of 2box but never tried it personally, either. One thing I know is that the module is good with uploading your own samples and some people even uploaded Superior Drummer stuff into it. Yes, acoustic-like pads look cool but I'm not sure about ddt triggers as they are also located in the centre. Hotspotting is a big issue. It's crazy that Roland has sold thousands of pads with hotspotting while they were untouchable because of patent protection. As soon as the protection expired, ATV came out with 3-cone design where there is no cone in the center. Roland also moved the only trigger closer to edge on latest VAD rack toms. They use 3-cone only on the floor toms. It's unbelievable that they are trying to make profit by saving 2-cones on rack toms :)

Again, it comes down to your expectation for realism and dynamic range which depends on the genre you will play.

Want to play songs from my iphone and mostly Pop, Rock + Funk

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out this video from 65 drums. He breaks down the best kits from 1500 to 1900 usd. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is from euros to us dollars. But his channel is definitely worth checking out for edrum advice

Andi69

Reaction score
What your opinion about the older Roland TD-12 KX and what is a fair price for it? Saw one for 1800 Euros but seller is open for negotiation.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What your opinion about the older Roland TD-12 KX and what is a fair price for it? Saw one for 1800 Euros but seller is open for negotiation.
Roland has been regarded as one of the most durable brands out there. But I would make sure that you're satisfied with the sounds from the module 1st, maybe look for demos on YouTube. And if it suits your needs and you can afford it then I'd say go for it. Of course you could always just use drum software for your sounds if you dont like the module sounds. For fair price look up sold listings on Ebay to see what it's been selling for and you can make your determination based on that

Andi69

Reaction score
Roland has been regarded as one of the most durable brands out there. But I would make sure that you're satisfied with the sounds from the module 1st, maybe look for demos on YouTube. And if it suits your needs and you can afford it then I'd say go for it. Of course you could always just use drum software for your sounds if you dont like the module sounds. For fair price look up sold listings on Ebay to see what it's been selling for and you can make your determination based on that
I also heart, that the display of the TD-12 had frequently some issues?! Do you know anything about that?

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also heart, that the display of the TD-12 had frequently some issues?! Do you know anything about that?
Unfortunately I do not. I'm still pretty new to edrums myself and most of the knowledge that I've gained has been from that 65 drums YouTube channel. He is on facebook under the name 65drums though and if you send him a message he responds usually within a day. And he knows everything about roland drums. I myself just have a simmons sd350 which is ok but it's really cheap but I make it work for me.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, as a former TD-12 owner, I am well aware of the LCD display problems that are common with age (this also applies to the TD-20). The display tends to fade over time, at least for some units. It can get to the point where you can no longer navigate your way through the menus on the module. This is definitely something to investigate before buying. Many people who are selling their old TD-12 modules will post a photo of the display in the ad so that potential buyers can see if it's faded or not. I sold my TD-12 two years ago to a gigging drummer whose display suddenly became unreadable. He had a gig coming up that weekend and quickly bought mine off of CL because I had posted a photo showing an easily readable working display. There are some YouTube videos showing ways to resolve this problem but I'm sure how reliable they are. I know that some people who have tried to get their displays replaced have had a difficult time finding parts.

Andi69

Reaction score
Anybody familiar with the Pearl e pro live? Found a offer for 1200 Euros

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend them. The pads are very bouncy + put a ton of shock into your wrists, and the module isn't great. For that amount of money, you can get much better kits from Yamaha or Roland.

Andi69

Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend them. The pads are very bouncy + put a ton of shock into your wrists, and the module isn't great. For that amount of money, you can get much better kits from Yamaha or Roland.
Which one you meant for 1200 Euros from Roland or Yamaha? I´m still preferring (at best) an acoustic hybrid set. ;)