Asking 'who's the best drummer' is the wrong question

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember being younger and thinking the greatest drummers were the ones with insane chops, like Neil peart, vinniePaul, Tim alexander, and Danny Carey. It wasn't until I got older that I started to realize what makes a great drummer is how well they serve the song.
How do any of those guys not serve the song ?
And who’s to say what serves the song ?

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed Edison's book, from which that article is an excerpt. Here's my review of it. But I agree that Edison is a bit myopic when it comes to championing groove over chops.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's usually non-musicians who see a chops fest solo and make claims like "that guy/girl is so good that they could play with anyone", missing the point. Music isn't sports, where scoring the most is usually what wins you the game. Sure, in both discplines one needs both skill AND strategy to win, but in music, there's an element of taste and judgment that one must also possess. I wonder if Joe Six-Pack could really spot the ability of a Vinnie Colaiuta versus a Tommy Lee upside-down solo? I dig Tommy, but VC really CAN play with anyone.

Usually, it's Rolling Stone that subjects us to an article like this, which, like my post, is no more valid than anyone else's. Jeff Beck vs. Muddy Waters? Ludicrous. Two different and GOOD players. It's just what he liked or didn't like.

Dan

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How do any of those guys not serve the song ?
And who’s to say what serves the song ?
Oh they do serve the song but I used to think that drummers that played more meat and potatoes like Phil Rudd or Charlie watts weren't good drummers because they only played simple stuff and nothing overly complicated. However now that I've gotten a little older I realize that meat and potato drummers are just as good and important as those who play with a more busy style.