At my wit's end with Guitar Center

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I used to work for GC in 98/99. Besides the BS pay it wasn't a bad job, and we used to get in all kinds of cool stuff at the time that I was with the company.

Being a 90's Premier nut & discontinued Paiste fanatic I'm always scouring their used listings for stuff I want/need. I've gotten burned with products being damaged during shipping enough times that I finally resorted to calling the store and getting all the facts on a piece I'm interested in before buying it, and then asking them to MAKE SURE whoever's packing the item to be shipped to take the necessary precautions to make sure it arrives in tact.

Today I bought a used Premier drum kit from the GC in Kansas City, MO. This is how it went down:

11:54 AM I call Guitar Center to make sure the drums are there and that they are in good shape. They were there and they were in good condition, so I place the order.
12:01 PM I get confirmation from PayPal that my order is placed
12:26 PM I get a phone call from Guitar Center to verify my shipping address & was told I’d have a tracking number shortly
12:34 PM I get an email confirmation from Guitar Center for the purchase
3:22 PM I get an email notification from Guitar Center that my order has been canceled
3:33 PM I call the store and speak to a sales person and then the store manager (same person I spoke to to confirm the condition & availability of the kit at 11:54 AM) to ask them why the order was canceled. They told me the kit had been sold in the store. I asked them at what time it had been sold because I had numerous confirmations that I had purchased the drums. Neither of them could tell me at what time it was sold because according to them, they “don’t have timestamps on their receipts”.

Sounds extremely suspicious to me. How is this scenario even POSSIBLE with the numerous confirmations AND A PHONE CALL TO CONFIRM THE SHIPPING ADDRESS??!! Total BS...

And, after sharing this episode with friends of mine on social media, one friend posted a picture of a recent GC receipt and guess what? THERE'S A FLIPPING TIME STAMP CLEARLY PRINTED ON THE RECEIPT!!!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like an employee at the store wanted them and you got juked.
"We don't have timestamps on our receipts... Sheeesh, what a jag-bag.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've posted before my displeasures with GC. More bad experiences than good experiences. I've learned to go there whenever I have no choice because I'm limited on time, otherwise I pass. Out of the big box music stores I'd rather go to Sam Ash even though I don't like them to much either.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I used to work for GC in 98/99. Besides the BS pay it wasn't a bad job, and we used to get in all kinds of cool stuff at the time that I was with the company.

Being a 90's Premier nut & discontinued Paiste fanatic I'm always scouring their used listings for stuff I want/need. I've gotten burned with products being damaged during shipping enough times that I finally resorted to calling the store and getting all the facts on a piece I'm interested in before buying it, and then asking them to MAKE SURE whoever's packing the item to be shipped to take the necessary precautions to make sure it arrives in tact.

Today I bought a used Premier drum kit from the GC in Kansas City, MO. This is how it went down:

11:54 AM I call Guitar Center to make sure the drums are there and that they are in good shape. They were there and they were in good condition, so I place the order.
12:01 PM I get confirmation from PayPal that my order is placed
12:26 PM I get a phone call from Guitar Center to verify my shipping address & was told I’d have a tracking number shortly
12:34 PM I get an email confirmation from Guitar Center for the purchase
3:22 PM I get an email notification from Guitar Center that my order has been canceled
3:33 PM I call the store and speak to a sales person and then the store manager (same person I spoke to to confirm the condition & availability of the kit at 11:54 AM) to ask them why the order was canceled. They told me the kit had been sold in the store. I asked them at what time it had been sold because I had numerous confirmations that I had purchased the drums. Neither of them could tell me at what time it was sold because according to them, they “don’t have timestamps on their receipts”.

Sounds extremely suspicious to me. How is this scenario even POSSIBLE with the numerous confirmations AND A PHONE CALL TO CONFIRM THE SHIPPING ADDRESS??!! Total BS...

And, after sharing this episode with friends of mine on social media, one friend posted a picture of a recent GC receipt and guess what? THERE'S A FLIPPING TIME STAMP CLEARLY PRINTED ON THE RECEIPT!!!
- Post this on GC's FB page.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
several years ago the same thing happened to me with a GC online phone order. lucky for me the item i wanted comes up for sale often. it seems that both orders were rung up at the same time. back when landline fones were all there were many times i would pick up the fone to dail a girl friend or other friend and they would already be on the line. sometimes 2 things happen at once. i also worked at the GC in hollywood ca.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I leave reviews for everything and sometimes they sting like a Salvador Sanchez jab.

What you just described is dirty business with some obvious feigned ignorance after the fact. Regardless, it pretty much ends the relationship between you and that kit but, now you take your pound of flesh from the people who did it.

Bring them up on google reviews, leave them one star and a detailed description of the incident including the name of the manager and the fact that they lied to you, post, then walk away.

I can’t tell you how many times I have used online reviews to twist someone’s arm behind their back to get some recompense for their crooked business practices. I doubt that you’ll get much from Guitar Center but at least it is documented and you are giving future customers a view of the landscape.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with Sgt. Barnes..........I do not go into our local GC any more..........a total joke for percussionists.
We need to ask ourselves -- why would any sane and logical drummer deal with a vendor that has "guitar" in the business name ?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
might be overkill but complain to the attorney general in the state the store was in? I also like posting on their FB page.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bet there will be GC folks (Glen Noyes?) at the Drum Show this weekend. You should show them this.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like they didn't move the drums off the floor after you bought them and someone sold them to an in-store customer. Them saying they can't look at time stamps is trying to avoid admitting that. What a bunch of stupid a-holes.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like they didn't move the drums off the floor after you bought them and someone sold them to an in-store customer. Them saying they can't look at time stamps is trying to avoid admitting that. What a bunch of stupid a-holes.
Yep the classic "everyone was too lazy to get off their butts and move them". So someone walked in and bought them after they were sold.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still seems like very suspicious timing to me. The time window that mgdrummer described is very short and how many guys out there are going to walk into a local GC looking for a Premier kit? That would have to be a lot of stars lining up.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This very scenario has always worried me in the past when I went to buy kits from GC online also. Like most others here many of the local GC's are pitiful for drummers. Forget even kits they often lack a decent selection of sticks and drum heads.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am curious what Premier kit it was. I watched a 6-piece set of ‘90s Genistas sit in a Music Go Round for several days before someone bought them — for $600 (!!!) — and a local guy was having trouble selling an 18” Signia bass drum for $150. So I’ve got to think it would take a pretty insane deal for the whole “two people jumped on the same kit at the same time, nothing we can do about it” argument to be AT ALL plausible. Premier just doesn’t sell like that, from my experience.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's great that the OP has documented the transaction and can post this on GC's FB page. I'm also with others as to the popularity of Premier kits. They make some great drums, but in the US, they take a back seat to almost all other brands. I just can't see someone coming in and purchasing this kit during the time period documented by the OP. Really sounds like an inside sale to me!

-Mark

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Shocker. Support your local drum shop.
true...but not everyone has one or have one that has used kits....but I'd look at every other outlet than GC such as Reverb, Here!, Fork's, Maxwell, Music-go-round(sorta big box but seem to be a little better at online purchases) etc.

Still it sucks when you find just what you want online from GC and this happens.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Well, despite some inviting conspiracy theories about how this went down, here's my opinion. They had already been sold and the website hadn't been updated. When they went to ship, they discovered they were gone. The time window is too short to think that another customer decided to buy that exact kit between your payment and the cancellation time. It could have happened, but it's highly unlikely. Despite your disappointment, this was handled poorly only in the fact that they didn't offer you a solid explanation. The lag time updating the on-line inventory is not surprising given the fact that this is used gear for sale on-line and at a brick and mortar store. The difference between them responding immediately that the drums had been sold and the notice of cancellation is only a matter of a few hours and didn't really impact the outcome at all, other than delay your disappointment. A better explanation was definitely warranted though.