At my wit's end with Guitar Center

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, despite some inviting conspiracy theories about how this went down, here's my opinion. They had already been sold and the website hadn't been updated. When they went to ship, they discovered they were gone. The time window is too short to think that another customer decided to buy that exact kit between your payment and the cancellation time. It could have happened, but it's highly unlikely. Despite your disappointment, this was handled poorly only in the fact that they didn't offer you a solid explanation. The lag time updating the on-line inventory is not surprising given the fact that this is used gear for sale on-line and at a brick and mortar store. The difference between them responding immediately that the drums had been sold and the notice of cancellation is only a matter of a few hours and didn't really impact the outcome at all, other than delay your disappointment. A better explanation was definitely warranted though.
If the kit had already been sold and gone how did the manager visually inspect them for mgdrummer that very morning when he called?

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the kit had already been sold and gone how did the manager visually inspect them for mgdrummer that very morning when he called?
Likely he didn't. Matter of "yeah, yeah, they're here and they are in good shape" without bothering to go look at them.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Update on the GC situation:

This morning I spoke with a representative at GC’s online customer service department and he confirmed that my order was released to be shipped at 12:29PM and that the store canceled the order at 3:21PM so that they could sell it in the store. Corporate will be made aware of the situation and I should be hearing from the regional manager in a few days.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy anything but sticks and heads from GC.
I won't even do that anymore.
My local GC sucks. Nobody is ever even at drum department counter anymore. I don't need them for sticks and head purchases but that's not really the point. Usually I can grab what I'm after and pay at the front counter. Tuesday I went in to pick up two cables for my electronic pads. Nobody at the front counter so I wait a couple minutes, nobody shows up so I look around the store. Three employees are standing watching another one string a guitar at the counter in the guitar area. At that point I decide to put the cables down and walk out.
Also the online inventory sucks. Things are not in stock when the website shows they are or they are in stock when it shows they are not.
I'm done with them.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This morning I spoke with a representative at GC’s online customer service department and he confirmed that my order was released to be shipped at 12:29PM and that the store canceled the order at 3:21PM so that they could sell it in the store.
Isn't this one of the unforgivable sins ?

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Well, despite some inviting conspiracy theories about how this went down, here's my opinion. They had already been sold and the website hadn't been updated. When they went to ship, they discovered they were gone. The time window is too short to think that another customer decided to buy that exact kit between your payment and the cancellation time. It could have happened, but it's highly unlikely. Despite your disappointment, this was handled poorly only in the fact that they didn't offer you a solid explanation. The lag time updating the on-line inventory is not surprising given the fact that this is used gear for sale on-line and at a brick and mortar store. The difference between them responding immediately that the drums had been sold and the notice of cancellation is only a matter of a few hours and didn't really impact the outcome at all, other than delay your disappointment. A better explanation was definitely warranted though.
That sounds most reasonable.
My immediate thought was an employee came back from lunch at 1 pm and Mr Manager told him to 'pack up those premiers for shipping'. The employee then said to Mr Manager " but I was gonna buy these once the price dropped a little further". Mr Manager likes this employee and the deed was done by 3:22.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aaaand, got this email today around 5PM:

Hi Michael, I received a dissatisfaction notice regarding your drum kit purchase yesterday and wanted to see if there's anything I can do to help rectify the situation. I have since found out that there are time stamps on our receipts, it's just that we have to print them out a certain way to see them. It looks like the purchase was in fact made after your online order was made so again I apologize for the fact that your order wasn't immediately fulfilled here in store and ended up getting sold in the interim.

Let me know if there's anything we can do here to make this up to you.

Thank you.

Justin Johnson
Guitar Center - Independence, MO
Store Manager
Ph: (816) 373-9191

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And my reply:

"Hi Justin, thanks for acknowledging the problem. I would like you to call the customer who you sold the drums to, explain that you made a mistake: the kit had previously been sold to someone else and you need it returned to get it to the person who rightfully bought it.

I am copying Brad from the online customer service department whom I spoke to this morning.

Please let me know what the outcome is with the other customer. I’m still willing to purchase the drums."

We'll see what happens. Either way he's got an upset customer, hopefully he'll try to make it right.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And my reply:

"Hi Justin, thanks for acknowledging the problem. I would like you to call the customer who you sold the drums to, explain that you made a mistake: the kit had previously been sold to someone else and you need it returned to get it to the person who rightfully bought it.

I am copying Brad from the online customer service department whom I spoke to this morning.

Please let me know what the outcome is with the other customer. I’m still willing to purchase the drums."

We'll see what happens. Either way he's got an upset customer, hopefully he'll try to make it right.
I like your style mgdrummer. I take it you’ve read your Sun Tzu? If not you have some of his DNA.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates... Interesting to see how your request will play out.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I figure why not? He asked what he could do, right? ;)
mg, that was epic and exactly the most obvious outcome to "if there's anything we can do here to make this up to you."

Except nothing less other than a new TAMA or DW for ddrum prices. :toothy7:

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
And my reply:

Great idea, but the customer who bought them will never return them.

I understand how you feel. I would be upset too.

Time to move on. Everyone makes mistakes.

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
My prediction:
You will not get those drums. The manager will offer you a 15% discount on any kit in stock, or 10% off anything that they can order.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I would ask if they plan on closing this obvious loophole in their sales process. It should be SOP that a sold product is immediately physically tagged and also marked as sold in their computers. Sloppy inventory control is no way to run a business. Sequence of events matters.

Latest posts