At Their Peak : Kid Creole & The Coconuts!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I LOVE these guys, Steven! Saw 'em once, in Detroit at St. Andrew's Hall. I have several of their records. Total smart, New York badassery!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Total smart, New York badassery!
Smart, indeed.
August Darnell (Kid Creole) was once an English teacher in the Bronx, which explains his sophisticated way with lyrics & songwriting.

Easily one of the most electrifying frontmen who ever worked a stage.
Plus, the entire band was a showcase of endless talent & unhuman energy.

There wasn't a live band on earth who could follow them in their heyday (except maybe Prince, who was also a huge fan & sometime collaborator)

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Smart, indeed.
August Darnell (Kid Creole) was once an English teacher in the Bronx, which explains his sophisticated way with lyrics & songwriting.

Easily one of the most electrifying frontmen who ever worked a stage.
Plus, the entire band was a showcase of endless talent & unhuman energy.

There wasn't a live band on earth who could follow them in their heyday (except maybe Prince, who was also a huge fan & sometime collaborator)
And didn't Yogi Horton play on some of their albums?

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
got to see them 2x. First was an outdoor show on Boston Common for free. I was able to stand just in front of the stage...it was amazing. When he came back years later I convinced two band mates to come and they were just as good.

I got into them because I did an exchange with an English during the summer of 82 and Stool Pigeon was huge when I was in the UK...I even picked up the double 45 while I was there....when we were back in the states I heard that song on the radio...1x

Recently he did a track with his kids...all electronic...strong lyrics but.....

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
got to see them 2x.
Me too, both in SanFrancisco. Met him briefly backstage with his horn section.

Recently he did a track with his kids
yup, I saw that on his channel. He has a bunch of kids in varying age, the 2 eldest sons are musicians.
I think he's pretty much retired from performing now and making music video projects for fun with them along with producing other artists. August was a driven workaholic for decades and amassed a huge body of work including 25+ albums, screenplays, films, even a Broadway musical biography.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
A NYC holiday-centric treat involving the Kid and his crew: they appear on the excellent (and very quirky) Ze Records Christmas Record, with the song "Christmas on Riverside Drive." Gives me that warm Christmas feeling every year when I get it out to play it. Other songs on it are very New Wave, to say the least!