At what point do made-in-Taiwan/China drums become cool?

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Only realized now this thread is so old. Still it was a bit disconcerting going through it and reading what appears to be so much hostility and resentment towards china bordering on racism at some points. people in glass houses should not throw stones.

Regardless. Ludwig and Gretsch drums look as cool as f**k. the real deal in my eyes.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, the Tiger King situation is being debated in another thread.
I have heard about that Netflix thing, but I don't subscribe to Netflix. Not sure I could stand to watch it from what I've heard. Animal abusers should be tortured.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have heard about that Netflix thing, but I don't subscribe to Netflix. Not sure I could stand to watch it from what I've heard. Animal abusers should be tortured.
I watched the first episode of this. complete freak show. But there is far higher levels of animal abuse within the meat industry.

nylontip

Reaction score
"At what point do made-in-Taiwan/China drums become cool?"
A few years ago Modern Drummer did a blind hearing test between the new Yamaha Stage Customs and the top of the line Recording Customs.
The judges couldn't tell the difference between them or had a hard time determining which drum they were hearing. Now that's a 600. kit vs. a 4000. kit.
That's pretty cool.
The lacquer finishes are pretty cool too.

Last edited:

spelman

Reaction score
A few years ago Modern Drummer did a blind hearing test between the new Yamaha Stage Customs and the top of the line Recording Customs.
The judges couldn't tell the difference between a 600. kit and a 4000. kit
That's pretty cool.
Source, please.

nylontip

Reaction score
Source, please.
It was a few years back in a Modern Drummer magazine new gear review. I'll try to find the exact issue if I still have it.
I was quite surprised to read that myself which is why I remember it and consequently, sold my Recording Customs.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Whenever whatever is associated with a Recording and if the recording is cool whatever was used on the Recording becomes cool... That's how it works.

First guy to use a Kazoo on a fantastic song....BOOM kazoo becomes instant cool (like they weren't cool before I know...was just using KAZOO as an example..)

It's the association (not the band Association but hey they were cool remember Mary?) that makes the something - anything cool.

If a guy used a pick and an Ax in jazz tune and the jazz tune was cool there'd be a run on axes and picks (like there isn't already

If a guy somehow used a toilet seat slamming down in a metal song - and it was effective- everyone would be thinking...hmm can I do that with my toilet seat..

Cool is an association
So at the point Taiwan/ Chinese drums became associated with a good recorded song or even filmed event, has to be some audio association, was the day they became ....cool.

Tony Williams K - cool
Ian Paice Ludwigs- cool
background singers in Sugar, Sugar- somewhat cool

Last edited:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool to whom ? Pros may want to know and care where their drums are from. Most amateur or casual drummers probably don't care and whatever they are playing is cool - to them. As has been said, Taiwan has been making many well known brand name drums for a long time now along with heads, hardware and parts. I had a Taiwanese Cadeson brand shell pack kit for some time that was as nice to look at and play as any other brands around.....

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I was looking for a new drum set, I would likely look at Taiwanese-made drums first. I am not willing to pay the prices for new American, European, or Japanese-made drums, and having been to many of the bigger Taiwan and China drum factories, I understand the people, processes, and capabilities behind those products.

That said, with the state of the used drum market being what it is, there's simply no reason I think anyone should buy new drums unless they really want something custom, or if buying new is a key consideration.

I mean, when you can get a set of 80s-90s Gretsch in nice condition for $700-900, why would anybody even think about buying a non-pro-level new kit?
First, it's always been the same scenario. When aunt Edna takes her nephew to buy a drum kit, they end up in the store and the kid looks at the hi-end Ludwig but there is another imported kit that looks exactly the same in Edna's eyes for 25% of the price . That is the one chosen in most cases based on the fact that the nephew is only starting to play and later, maybe we can upgrade to the other drums. Secondly, there are tons of people that will only buy new and wouldn't even think of getting used stuff. Whenever i am in my local drumshop buying heads, i see people buying all kinds of overpriced new stuff just because it's cool or they can.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The judges couldn't tell the difference between them or had a hard time determining which drum they were hearing. Now that's a 600. kit vs. a 4000. kit.
That's pretty cool.
I recall back in the mid 2000s review of the Stage Customs (Plastic lug era), the reviewer was so impressed with the sound he asked how Yamaha could justify charging so much more for RC's, but I don't recall a blind A/B test. It was more a compliment of the Stage Customs.

nylontip

Reaction score
Yes recall that too. I wish I could find the article I read, but anyhow, the point was being "cool".

Latest posts