Atlas arch mount, where to put it?

44Ronin

Reaction score
For a 20x16 gretsch bass drum mounting a 12x8 tom?

Front or rear lugs?

Can you have it on one side instead of the two center lugs?

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Yeah, you can mount it to the side if you want.
Just get ready for some added weight to your bass drum. The sucker is heavy.

No Me Metro

Reaction score
I had the ATLAS arch mounted on my 16x22, on the left batter side (off of the 9 & 11 o'clock lugs). Although I liked the position of the high tom, I did not like the mount's balance point with that set-up because the drums felt like they could tip over- if I placed my hand on the high tom, it would tip over. My bass drum also has the ATLAS anchor spurs, which probably did not help because of the narrower stance. I'm sure if I mounted the arch on the top lugs (11 & 1 o'clock), it would have felt more balanced; however, in my situation I did not need to do so (because I also have a rack).

I recommend mounting the ATLAS arch on the top two center lugs, but perhaps you may have better luck with the off-center mounting than I did.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have mine on a 14x22 at the twelve o'clock position.(see avatar) Reso side lugs. That's as far away as I'd ever put my Tom. Sometimes I do feel it's too far awa and that's with a 13. Haven't tried it on the closer lugs. Too much work swapping them around.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I use mine mounted on the top two lugs of an 18" bass drum. I have the Atlas mounts replacing the lugs closest to the batter, some people use the front lugs. I have seen the Atlas rail mounted off to the side as well. On a taller drum that might be a better option. On an 18" the rail was traditionally mounted on the top of the drum to gain as much height as possible.

Another option , which I have done in the past, is to mount the Atlas rail to the bass hoop using two DW claw mounts instead of the Ludwig Atlas mounts. This opens up more positioning options as you can have the rail positioned wherever you'd like it, the only constraint being spots where the drums own hoop claws would be in the way of the DW claws. This works well and is also easy to adjust on the fly. Plus it's easily removable and adds less weight to the drum.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have mine top lugs batter side 14x22 with a 8x12 mounted as low as it goes just above rubbing. I will post a picture in a while

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here’s mine on a 22” bass drum with 13” tom. I tried the side placement when I first got it and did not like it. I could not get the tom where I wanted it and the weight was off balance as already mentioned. Quickly switched to the top position and all has been great since.

I love the simplicity of this set up. It’s more sturdy (IMO) than it was placing the tom on a snare stand. Positioning the tom during setup is very quick. as is the tear down. Weighs about the same as the snare stand.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
shiek_yerbouti said:
Here’s mine on a 22” bass drum with 13” tom. I tried the side placement when I first got it and did not like it. I could not get the tom where I wanted it and the weight was off balance as already mentioned. Quickly switched to the top position and all has been great since.

I love the simplicity of this set up. It’s more sturdy (IMO) than it was placing the tom on a snare stand. Positioning the tom during setup is very quick. as is the tear down. Weighs about the same as the snare stand.

Great thread. And thanks shiek for the pics. I had always put mine on the batter side too but with the arch closer to the hoop. I like sitting a bit closer to the bass drum so I just changed it like yours. Much better!

Attachments

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
More....

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:244057]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:244056]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:202391]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:170078]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:170138]

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s bouncy. It’s a very solid system, A snare stand might be a minor degree more solid just by nature of it’s design, but this mount is very solid. Interested to see if others agree.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes, very solid. Even when using DW claw clamps on the bass hoops in place of the Atlas brackets it's very solid.

Reaction score
yeah 12 o.clock it probably best bet, Id just try with head off if no good move it...the atlas hardware is awesome imo I have my tom atlas stand mounted but I have a atlas bracket on my bass drum holding a cymbal...it really saves on stands, I love it (im all about ludwig , haha)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried it at 11ish. Basically one lug off center but like it better top center and on the batter side. Six ply tomorrow so you know it's heavy and no bounce. Still fits in 22" protector/gator Hardcase

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about adding it to my virgin 22
getting tired and bored with the snare stand.
This is beginning to sound like a very good option

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about adding it to my virgin 22
getting tired and bored with the snare stand.
This is beginning to sound like a very good option
It's a bit bulky but probably the best option available if you want to fly a tom off a bass drum you don't want to drill.

Attachments

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love it. The convenience factor rocks. I set that mount up when I got it over a year ago and have not adjusted it since. When you get to the gig you slide the Arch mount into the Atlas lug mounts, tighten it into place, and mount your tom. Boom. Done. It’s exactly where it was last time. No messing around.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Atlas mount looks like it would work well for me as I have long legs and prefer the tom towards
the drivers side. Couldn't imagine drilling holes for a stock rail or twin mount.