Attaching a popcorn snare to hi hat stand

Old Dog

Reaction score
I don't want to add another snare stand to my setup if I can get away with it. I know Gibraltar has some products that will probably get me there. I've emailed them as well.

But if you have a popcorn snare, show me how you have it set up.

Thanks

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Pearl Popcorn snare hung from a splash cymbal stand next to my hi-hat. My kit is a dw Collectors but I went with a PDP PDAX991 clamp because it was 1/3 less $$ than the dwsm991. $27.99 vs $39.99
These clamps will work perfectly well off your hat stand as well and will clamp to any diameter stand tube.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I put an INDe mount on my son's 5x10 - but 5" is tight on the BR2. BR3 might work better (but wasn't out then). I also had to throw a couple weight plates on the back leg to even out the weight.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score

Old Dog

Reaction score
I put an INDe mount on my son's 5x10 - but 5" is tight on the BR2. BR3 might work better (but wasn't out then). I also had to throw a couple weight plates on the back leg to even out the weight.

Hey swarfrat. . .that connects to the drum itself right? Replaces a lug? This popcorn already has a mount on it. I just need something to attach it to. Thanks fellas for the PDP part help. That is actually the one I have saved already in my Ebay stuff. But honestly, I just couldn't tell if it was big enough.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yes. Here you can see the back side (and my counterweight) - I just used an adjustable grabber:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you folks have a mount on the snare (or a RIMS-type mount)? My 5x10 Pearl popcorn is used as my "main" snare on my suitcase kit, but if I were to get rid of the snare stand and mount it, then I'd have to buy a mount to add to it, right? Then attach that to the post?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Many popcorns come stock with a Bracket; Gretsch, Yamaha..
5 X 12 Stage Custom here. I use a snare stand.

Old Dog

Reaction score

Old Dog

Reaction score
Sounds like you folks have a mount on the snare (or a RIMS-type mount)? My 5x10 Pearl popcorn is used as my "main" snare on my suitcase kit, but if I were to get rid of the snare stand and mount it, then I'd have to buy a mount to add to it, right? Then attach that to the post?

If that is something you are looking to do, I would look into the INDe BR2 or BR3. They are made to replace an existing lug on a drum, AND--wait for it, it is adjustable! No need for re-drilling. It's around $50 on Ebay, but looks really, really nice.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used one of these (along with the proper sized ball "L" arm) to mount a 10" tom off my hi-hat. My Gretsch popcorn snare has the same type of mount and would have mounted similarly.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds great but hard to justify on a
If that is something you are looking to do, I would look into the INDe BR2 or BR3. They are made to replace an existing lug on a drum, AND--wait for it, it is adjustable! No need for re-drilling. It's around $50 on Ebay, but looks really, really nice.
Old Dog, sounds great but that's worth more than the snare (which I got for free, too!).....but I am anxious to get something Inde soon, though, as I've heard and seen so many good things from Josh.....

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had to drill the shell and mount an L arm receiver to the popcorn snare. I kinda wish I'd known about the INDe lug mount system, if it was available then... 7, 8 yrs ago? I wasn't thrilled about drilling but it's a sub $200 snare that's just there for the whip-crack / POP option.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Sounds great but hard to justify on a

Old Dog, sounds great but that's worth more than the snare (which I got for free, too!).....but I am anxious to get something Inde soon, though, as I've heard and seen so many good things from Josh.....
Right right, I get it. Yes, he does some great work. I am not familiar with the drums except for vids online.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The Inde mount will only work if it is a single ended lug, most snares are double ended. Also the Inde takes up quite a bit of room on the drum if its a shallow snare may not work. I have one on a 8x12 tom and works great by the way.

Latest posts