Attack Drum Heads Review

Rick

Reaction score
I posted this in a reply on another thread. For better visibility, I thought I'd give it its own thread. These are my thoughts on the new Attack heads...

I have gone to all Attack heads on my Tama Starclassic Maples and Starphonic Bubinga snare. I can't say enough good things about these heads... they're fantastic!

I have Royal 1 clear heads (single ply traditional mylar material) top and bottom on my toms. Their new "Orbit" bass drum batter and Proflex 1 black resonant head on my bass drum. And a coated Royal 1 batter head on my snare with their "extra thin" (3 mil) snare side head. I previously had Remo heads on these drums... clear Ambassadors on the toms, coated Ambassador on the snare, and a clear PS3 on the bass drum. Here's how they compare in my experience...

On the snare, the coated Royal 1 sounds A LOT like the coated Ambassador. Great sound and feel! The biggest difference there is the durability of the coating. With an Ambassador, I could maybe get 5 or 6 gigs out of it before there would be significant wear on the coating. With the Attack Royal 1, I've probably played a couple dozen gigs since I've had that head on there and there is basically ZERO wear on the coating!

Another thing... and this is true for all the Attack heads I've experienced... because of the steel crimped collars, the heads tend to hold a tuning longer and they are also more durable.

On my toms, the clear Royal 1's sound better than the Ambassadors did. I get a prettier, more pure tone out of them with the exact same tuning (I use a Tunebot so I know it's exactly the same).

The Orbit bass drum head is a different animal. It took me a bit to figure out how to tune it to get the best sound, but once I figured that out I really like it! Because it's a hybrid single/dual ply head, it's deeper sounding than a PS3. So it required a bit more tension to get the pitch where I wanted it. That was actually a good thing because it also gives me a better feel (response, rebound, etc.) on the head and... at least for me... I can get cleaner doubles and find them easier to play also.

I think Attack has basically created a "better mousetrap." Love them!

Now the downside... They are hard to find! Pretty much impossible to find online... other than the Orbit at Sweetwater. I've bought them from a couple of different places that ship to me. One is Hubbard Music in Ohio. The other is The Original Long Island Drum Center in New York. Both good places to buy these heads. Or if you have a local drum shop/music store you like to do business with, you could probably ask them to order them from Cardinal Percussion (the distributor) for you.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey Rick hope you are well. I haven't tried any of the new Attack heads but have used the old ones on snares. They were great for that! So much so that I snagged a few sets that zZounds & American musical had on clearance a couple of months ago to keep stocked up. They are the textured medium heads for batter & clear snare side for resonant. I've loved them on snares ever since I first tried them. They sound fantastic and last forever. I need to give the new line a shot but wonder what the difference is to the old ones (besides different ownership). I think if they focus on making a superior product that stands out and they get their distribution going, they could actually become a viable competitor to the big 3. Glad to see that someone is buying them and posting positive results.
LRod

Rick

Reaction score
Hey Rick hope you are well. I haven't tried any of the new Attack heads but have used the old ones on snares. They were great for that! So much so that I snagged a few sets that zZounds & American musical had on clearance a couple of months ago to keep stocked up. They are the textured medium heads for batter & clear snare side for resonant. I've loved them on snares ever since I first tried them. They sound fantastic and last forever. I need to give the new line a shot but wonder what the difference is to the old ones (besides different ownership). I think if they focus on making a superior product that stands out and they get their distribution going, they could actually become a viable competitor to the big 3. Glad to see that someone is buying them and posting positive results.
LRod
For the most part, they are the same as the old ones. I don't think they use "medium" as a descriptor anymore. I'm not sure what the story was with that. The Royal series all use the same mylar as Remo. The rest of their heads use "Dynaflex" film, which is a bit different than the traditional Mylar. I believe that's what you have. Dynaflex film, as I understand it, is supposed to give you more attack (hence their name) and projection.

The single ply "Royal 1" coated head I have on my snare is 10 mil... same as a Remo Ambassador. I think the "Proflex 1" (also 10 mil) is the comparable head now to what you have. I prefer the more traditional sound of Mylar. But that's one of the nice things about this brand... you have a choice for which sound you like best!

The Royal 1 heads are basically the same as their old Terry Bozzio signature heads. The only difference is that they have the standard depth collar, whereas the Bozzio heads had a slightly deeper collar.

Like I said before, I really think the steel crimping thing is a fantastic feature, giving the heads more durability and the ability to hold a tuning longer. I think I read somewhere that Ludwig uses that with its heads?

And Attack's coating is darn near indestructible in my experience. See the photo below. I've had that head on that snare for about 8 months now and have played it A LOT! Probably close to two dozen gigs plus a lot of playing at home during the past few months.

Hope you're doing well too! I'm pretty bored right now. They retired my airplane and don't have me projected for training (on the B-717) until September. So I've basically got the whole summer off. No drumming gigs to speak of right now either. I really miss flying AND the drumming gigs... two of my favorite things to do!

Rick

Reaction score
Oh, one thing I've noticed about their snare side heads...

They have "extra thin", "thin", and "medium." The extra thin is 3 mils, which is the standard thickness of most snare side heads. I find that to be a bit misleading... because, if you get thin or medium, you are getting a snare side head that is thicker than "normal." Some might like that. But for someone (me) who is looking for the "standard" snare side head, the extra thin is the one.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
For the most part, they are the same as the old ones. I don't think they use "medium" as a descriptor anymore. I'm not sure what the story was with that. The Royal series all use the same mylar as Remo. The rest of their heads use "Dynaflex" film, which is a bit different than the traditional Mylar. I believe that's what you have. Dynaflex film, as I understand it, is supposed to give you more attack (hence their name) and projection.

The single ply "Royal 1" coated head I have on my snare is 10 mil... same as a Remo Ambassador. I think the "Proflex 1" (also 10 mil) is the comparable head now to what you have. I prefer the more traditional sound of Mylar. But that's one of the nice things about this brand... you have a choice for which sound you like best!

The Royal 1 heads are basically the same as their old Terry Bozzio signature heads. The only difference is that they have the standard depth collar, whereas the Bozzio heads had a slightly deeper collar.

Like I said before, I really think the steel crimping thing is a fantastic feature, giving the heads more durability and the ability to hold a tuning longer. I think I read somewhere that Ludwig uses that with its heads?

And Attack's coating is darn near indestructible in my experience. See the photo below. I've had that head on that snare for about 8 months now and have played it A LOT! Probably close to two dozen gigs plus a lot of playing at home during the past few months.

Hope you're doing well too! I'm pretty bored right now. They retired my airplane and don't have me projected for training (on the B-717) until September. So I've basically got the whole summer off. No drumming gigs to speak of right now either. I really miss flying AND the drumming gigs... two of my favorite things to do!

Cool!
I guess were on the same boat! I've had time for stuff in the last 2 months like I haven't had in years. Stinks about the retired MD. It's been really slow on my end. The country specific travel bans have done a number on our business. Based on the slow environment, they've got me now getting rated on the Citation Ultra, so i'm currently studying that plane. Hopefully as time goes by we will eventually get back to normal.
Take care,
LRod

Rick

Reaction score
Cool!
I guess were on the same boat! I've had time for stuff in the last 2 months like I haven't had in years. Stinks about the retired MD. It's been really slow on my end. The country specific travel bans have done a number on our business. Based on the slow environment, they've got me now getting rated on the Citation Ultra, so i'm currently studying that plane. Hopefully as time goes by we will eventually get back to normal.
Take care,
LRod
I sure hope so! Yeah, I'm already studying the 717. Not like I have anything else to do... Cool plane... I think I'm going to like it a lot! I'm certainly going to be very well prepared for training with all this time to study!!

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great to hear there's something new to try. How would you say they compare in sound to Evans heads?

Rick

Reaction score
Great to hear there's something new to try. How would you say they compare in sound to Evans heads?
Unfortunately, I'm the wrong person to answer that question. I've only played Evans heads on other people's drums a handful of times... so I don't really have enough experience with them to answer that question intelligently. I've played Remo, Aquarian, and Attack. I'd say the Attack heads sound is very much comparable with both of those brands. I don't know about Evans. Sorry.

Rick

Reaction score
One minor correction to my above review. I actually have a coated (not clear) Royal 1 batter head on my floor tom. Everything else is correct.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I really loved the Attack Bozzio signature coated model for snare drums, it was my go-to snare batter for many years. They wear like iron and sound superb. I still have about 15 snares outfitted with TB batters and they have plenty of life left - in fact they barely show any wear whatsoever after lot of play. They made me a believer in their product.

I may try the Royal 1 model someday. Thanks for your review.

Mark Tirabassi

Reaction score
First things first... THANK YOU so much Rick for the kind words. I’m so grateful for your support of the Attack Drumhead brand. The ORBIT and the BARON were my first two new product launches and they have both had great success. We just introduced a BARON 13” model do you the many requests. Some of the biggest difference between the discontinued Bozzio series and the newly rebranded ROYAL series is the new lower price, more models and did I mention lower price . Hold on tight there will be even more new models in the near future.
Please visit www.attackdrumheads.com
Watch the ORBIT video (the one with me sitting in the brown chair) to understand the concept of the ORBIT2

pgm554

Reaction score
Love the Attack clear with the tone ring ,but as far as I can tell ,they don't make them anymore.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First things first... THANK YOU so much Rick for the kind words. I’m so grateful for your support of the Attack Drumhead brand. The ORBIT and the BARON were my first two new product launches and they have both had great success. We just introduced a BARON 13” model do you the many requests. Some of the biggest difference between the discontinued Bozzio series and the newly rebranded ROYAL series is the new lower price, more models and did I mention lower price . Hold on tight there will be even more new models in the near future.
Watch the ORBIT video (the one with me sitting in the brown chair) to understand the concept of the ORBIT2
Just a note about your website, Mark, it asks me to get my location on each and every page, and the page won't open until I say no. ...on each and every page. Might be something to look into, I'm using chrome.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love the Attack clear with the tone ring ,but as far as I can tell ,they don't make them anymore.
The "new" Attack drumheads company still makes them. They just changed the name:

pgm554

Reaction score
Saw that,but not shipping until late July and it doesn't appear to be the same head.
The one on that snare is single ply with a built in dampening ring.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to say I would not own any attack heads had it not been for that new lower cost. I have 4 Attack snare combo packs stored since I tried the first one. I like them a lot.

pgm554

Reaction score
Picked my first one up for $5 bucks on a lark.
Starving was blowing them out and after trying them out,the qualty was just the same (and in some instances better) than the big boys.
I've had Remo's with warped flesh hoops and Evans with coating stuck to the packing boxes.

Rick

Reaction score
I'm thinking their "Baron" head would be the closest thing. It's a 10 mil single ply coated head with a smaller than normal overtone ring. The red dot... if I understand it correctly... is mainly just for durability and looks, as it is uncoated. I can tell you from experience with their coating, that it is not very heavy... so I don't think it would affect the sound all that much compared with a clear head. That coating is also incredibly durable. And it doesn't sound to me like the red dot would affect the sound much either.

So I'm thinking the combination of the tiny bit of dampening from the coating, along with the bit of dampening from the smaller overtone ring (and possibly a bit of dampening from the dot?), might give you a comparable sound to that clear head with the standard overtone ring. Might be worth a try. Here's a video where Mark explains the Baron head...

Last edited:

Mark Tirabassi

Reaction score
Just a note about your website, Mark, it asks me to get my location on each and every page, and the page won't open until I say no. ...on each and every page. Might be something to look into, I'm using chrome.
I’ll definitely check into this - thank you.

Latest posts