Attempted "Rosanna" by Toto. Would love your feedback :)

gobears10

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So here's my humble attempt at "Rosanna" by Toto. Such an incredibly difficult song. I'm always looking to improve my playing, so if you have any feedback/constructive criticism, please let me know. Thanks :)

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very few guys would have the nerve to display their playing on this classic song. My hat's off to you for that.

Honestly, though, it's impossible to critique your performance because the all-important grace notes on the snare are just not audible. Don't know if it's the sensitivity setting on your snare pad or your technique, but the grace notes define this drum pattern, and I can't hear yours.

I notice that you are not playing in the center of the pad. Could that be the problem? I'm not an electronic drum player, so I'm shooting in the dark on this one.

GeeDeeEmm

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Need to woodshed the right hand shuffle chops. They start to fall behind and the pattern suffers. The entire halftime shuffle is predicated on that hi-hat part. When the swing loosens up, there is no room for the snare grace notes to compliment the hats. I have the same issue! Do you have the ability to slow the recording down and try it several BPMs lower?

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Need to woodshed the right hand shuffle chops. They start to fall behind and the pattern suffers. The entire halftime shuffle is predicated on that hi-hat part. When the swing loosens up, there is no room for the snare grace notes to compliment the hats. I have the same issue! Do you have the ability to slow the recording down and try it several BPMs lower?
First off, as someone mentioned, allowing us to critique your playing on this tune took guts.
Besides the grace notes that are hard to hear, the hi hats sound like they're pretty open. Is there a way you can adjust that?
I agree with the comment with you R hand shuffle. If my memory serves me right, I believe the bpm is somewhere around 160ish.
I struggled with this tune (and still do) for a while. The shed idea is exactly what I did. I set my click really slow to start, and just worked on the hands for a while. At the end of each practice, I'd play the entire groove. Once I got to tempo, I'd just play the groove with the click for long stretches.
I started playing to the drumles track, and that was a huge help.
They key for me is warming up until I'm really relaxed.
Hey, it sounded good! I remember thinking "when I get this tune, I'll be a good drummer "
Lol....Nope, I don't feel I'll ever be good. I guess it's all relative?
Tunes like Rosanna are not only fun to play, but they really helped my technique.
Thanks for posting!

gobears10

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, Toast Tee, xsabers, and GeeDeeEm! I recorded another take here, and wanted your thoughts! Thanks :)

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Looks like you got your hands working FAST. Great job! I had to shed on that bell pt for a while.
Is that the drumles track? If not, a good tool.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's much better, bub. The hi hat sounds clear and open.

The grace notes on the snare are a little more audible, but still almost out of the mix. I have an idea that I want you to at least try and see if it works for you: raise your snare drum so that when you strike it the stick will be almost perfectly level with the ground. As it is now, when you hit the snare you are playing down into the drum, and that makes grace notes harder to play, and robs you of the rebound that a flatter horizontal stroke can offer. I think if you raise your snare - and give yourself plenty of time to acclimate yourself to the new technique required - you will be amazed at the additional dexterity, speed, rebound, and power that results.

I love traditional grip, too, and I've had a number of drummers comment on how loud I can play the snare and toms when needed. Many drummers associate traditional grip with quiet playing and a less-powerful-sounding presentation, but this is not the case. Once a drummer works on a traditional grip to the point that it feels perfectly comfortable and natural, there are no drawbacks and plenty of benefits.

GeeDeeEmm

DWHOARD

Reaction score
Man, you really stepped it up on the hats. Well done!

I've been singing this song for 2 days straight now Haha

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First ... very very brave of you (as has been mentioned).
Second ... great job on kicking your hat work up another notch so quickly.
That's where I'm going to leave it ... who the heck am I to evaluate your drumming. You seem to have a very good grasp on what it is you are doing.
More more more power to ya. If I was your dad, I'd buy you a puppy for sure. If I was you, I'd be very proud of myself for tackling such a tough track and staying with it for self-improvement as you've done.
I can't say more than that. Great job.

gobears10

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah, I tried to develop more of a Moeller "pumping" motion for my right hand hi-hat playing for the second video - I was straight wristing it in my first video, which I think added to the choppiness! And I tried to make the ghost notes a bit louder and playing in the center.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I really love this community and the constructive criticism y'all offer :)

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I may be off here, but to me the off beat on the snare drags some. Anyone else hear it that way? I do tend to rush though. Ace

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I may be off here, but to me the off beat on the snare drags some. Anyone else hear it that way? I do tend to rush though. Ace
Where is it? When I listen to Paccaro play it, he adds a 32nd note double on the mid trip of 4 (if my memory is serving me correctly?
To get it is tough enough, to get it as clean is sick!