AUDIO FILES - Which do you prefer?

slcdrummer

Reaction score
Hmm personally I like B because I hear a lower pitch and the cymbal sounds better balanced to me. A has some overtones or sounds that seem to stick out but B sounds more in harmony with itself to me.

Tarkus

Reaction score
Would also take 'B' for the reasons mentioned. If it's only for the bell, I would take 'A', cuts better.
Curious, what they are finally.

Austin__Taylor

Reaction score
And honestly I'm thinking of keeping A because I already have nice cymbals for dark sounds. Looking for a "Classic late 50s/60s" A sound.

Tarkus

Reaction score
Thanks for unraveling. I would keep both.

I expected 'B' to be lighter than 'A' because its darker. Honestly, I kept quiet not to blame myself, if its opposite... (you never know).
But, these 100 g difference is much less than I expected.

Now, the 'killer question' (in my opinion): how do these cymbals behave in a band / on stage? For me, it's always a difficult task to identify a 'good cymbal at a drum kit', which is then also a a 'good cymbal in the band'. Especially with Zildjians, I had my surprises. Positive as well as negative.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
'A' is a more straightforward sound with more clarity and driving power; I think it would fit better with larger ensembles that require more forceful drumming.

'B' has some mystery and complexity to its sound; I think it would fit nicely in smaller ensembles that provide more room for the sound of the drums.

If I had no ride cymbal and could afford it, I would keep both. If I could only afford one or the other I would keep 'A' because I think it would work in a wider variety of musical situations. However, I think 'B' is the more interesting instrument, and is the one I would more look forward to playing.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked A a lot more. More definition and musical. I think it would blend beautifully with other instruments. I liked the harmonic complexity. B I found a bit flat sounding and ...boring?

A made me smile, not B.

toddbishop

Reaction score
They both mostly sound fine, I probably prefer A. A little suspicious about the crash sound of B— I'd have to play them to decide.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really can't tell. Neither fill me with a desire to send you all my money now. Cell phone recordings?

It would help if you could record those with a decent set of overheads.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like both too. A is certainly more assertive and crashes. B has such a cool bell and gentler beat. In this particular recording anyway. The drums sound tuned closer to A also.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
A sounded beautiful! B is good too, but A has something special. Would even be tempted if it were for sale.