Audio problem for my hybrid drum setup.

riccardo

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
At the moment My setup is a pearl kit with mesh heads, and triggers attached all plugged into a roland td12 module, with roland electric cymbals as well. I am running the drum VST "easy drummer 2" by toontrack on my laptop (plugged into the module using a midi interface, and midi cable). I am using ASIO to help with the latency as this is the only platform that reduces latency without distortion. What ASIO also does is stop any other audio from my computer. What I mean by this is I cant play music from spotify or youtube from my laptop when using easy drummer with ASIO, and I dont know why. I know for a fact that the problem is the ASIO driver, as I have tried playing music from spotify on my laptop without it - and it works. However, without ASIO the latency is terrible.
Can anyone help me with this?
Many thanks.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you running Easy Drummer vst within a DAW or as stand-alone? When i was running Easy Drummer or Addictive Drums I would run it within Ableton Live & lower the buffer of my DAW to the lowest possible buffer size before thinks started 'farting' (usually 250 samples) and tweak the drive error compensation so as to get latency down to 0.27 milliseconds, which is basically unnoticeable.

riccardo

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for the help, How would I run easy drummer in a DAW like abelton?
many thanks

FieryLungs

Reaction score
I use a Mac so I'm not super familiar, but I think by default ASIO drivers are exclusive, meaning they work with one application at a time. Maybe this will help: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209770485-Disabling-exclusive-mode-for-ASIO-interfaces
Fwiw, multi-client ASIO interfaces have been the norm for me since winXP. Not all built-in soundcards support multi client operation though, and using a generic ASIO driver (like ASIO4All) can sometimes force exclusive access when it's not necessary.

What soundcard and ASIO driver are you using riccardo?

riccardo

Reaction score
Fwiw, multi-client ASIO interfaces have been the norm for me since winXP. Not all built-in soundcards support multi client operation though, and using a generic ASIO driver (like ASIO4All) can sometimes force exclusive access when it's not necessary.

What soundcard and ASIO driver are you using riccardo?
its the ASIO4ALL updated version. the soundcard is a lenovo ideapad 530s 12.1 MB 64bit.

riccardo

Reaction score
Are you running Easy Drummer vst within a DAW or as stand-alone? When i was running Easy Drummer or Addictive Drums I would run it within Ableton Live & lower the buffer of my DAW to the lowest possible buffer size before thinks started 'farting' (usually 250 samples) and tweak the drive error compensation so as to get latency down to 0.27 milliseconds, which is basically unnoticeable.
hi there how would i run easy drummer through abelton?

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Easy Drummer is a VST instrument, so open a midi track in Ableton, double click on EAsy Drummer in your list of VST instruments on your left (if it hasn't shown up go to preferences & find 'rescan plugins'). Record enable your midi track and you should be receiving midi from your TD12 (there is a little light on the top right of Ableton Live that flashes when receiving midi signals). I honestly can't remember if the midi notes from Roland modules correspond to the right default notes in Easy drummer or if I had to tweak that part within the Roland Module (I think they do, but I've also had Yamaha e-drums and also have run both through Addictive Drums more often, but same principle). Hope this helps!

riccardo

Reaction score
Hi there, thank you so miuch for the help, i am having trouble with finding easy drummer as a plugin i am clicking rescan but nothing comes up.. could you tell me excactly what to click because i might be clicking something else..
mant thanks and stay safe

riccardo

Reaction score
Hi there,
For the mixer, I am looking at one called the " beringer mx400 micromix 4-channel mixer" and it says it only can have mono audio and not sterio? if I were to plug in the audio on my laptop from easydrummer, then audio on a seperate device like my phone playing spotify music, then my headphones plugged in to hear everything, will this mixer manage all of that? if not, what is another cheap mixer i can buy?
many thanks everyone!