audiophile favorites?

delco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
picked up a nice used Denon receiver today via Craigslist to replace my old bookshelf system that died... what a killer unit! About 7-8 years old but perfect for my needs. Makes my old system look extremely amateurish.Have to admit I'm not much of an audiophile but this would make me a convert. I was wondering what other manufacturers are popular out there amongs forum listenders?

shimbl

Reaction score
McIntosh MX118 control center and MC150 amp

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've got Crown, Carver, Amber, Denon, Phase linear, Tascam, and Sony stuff...plus a Scully studio 2 track reel to reel, all mounted in two metal 7' racks. I have a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's for speakers with two Dalquist Subs too (bi-amped).The newest piece of gear is probably 8 years old (minidisc recorder) and most everything else dates back to the 70's. I also have three vintage Jukeboxes...which were the highest of Fi in their day. Never quite could afford the true high end stuff like Macintosh though and now my hearing has gone enough where it wouldn't be worth it anyway.

About 4000 CDs and probably 5000 LPs and an unknown (but large) quantity of 45's.

My wife gave me a nice Sony MP-3 player for my birthday last September...I still haven't opened it yet.

I might wish to get a life one of these days.

Acrolite82

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bryston BP25P preamp and BP3ST power amp, McIntosh MR78 FM radio and MCD7007 CD player, Technics stereo cassette player/recorder, Roksan Xerxes X turntable, Polk XM tuner, Apogee Centaur speakers with Velodyne FSR12 subwoofer, Samsung BP2500 Blue Ray Player.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Harmon Kardon receiver, Thorens 320 turntable, Denon HDCD player and tape deck, Akai GX 636 reel deck, JVC S-VHS and DVD unit, and a Pioneer laser disc player. Speakers are Definitive Technology.

In my drum room I have an NAD receiver, an NAD turntable (basically a re-badged Rega), and a Denon CD player.

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I too am running a Denon for the home theatre.

Running a NAD early 80's amp in the vinyl room.

Running an early 70's Pioneer Amp in the pole barn.

Running a mid 70's Pioneer Super Tuner in the garage.

In storage I've got a Macintosh, don't remember the model #, though.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a killer system: Adcom 555 2 chanel 200 watt amp for the rear, Adcom 5503 3 chanel 200 watt amp for the front and center, Rotel surround procesor. Definitive Tech BP 2000 with built in 250 watt subs for my front, Definitive Tech Clr 5000 center with 100 watt built in sub, Definitive Tech BP6 for the rear, Adcom 5 cd changer, Sony DVD, (no blue ray yet), and a Hitachi 55" Director series Plasma TV. A great sounding system and while watching a movie my wife tells me to turn it down I have a headache. LOL :D I usually watch movies while she is working.

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Brhythem,
I using a NAD turntable too. Is yours the one with the graphite arm? That's the one I have.

I've a couple of Bang and Olfson (spelling) tables waiting in the wings, along with about 6 Technics tables.

Paradigm speakers, along with mid 80's Boston Acoustics, Klipsch in reserve....

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm an audiophile nut so:
McIntosh MDC500
McIntosh C500C/500T
MC501 monos
RGPS Powerstation power supply/transformer/conditioner
30th Ann Dynaudio Saphires
Dynaudio M-500 subwoofer

budrock

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mcintosh MC2255 amp
Mcintosh MX117 tuner/preamp
Denon DP-60L turntable
Denon 5 disc cd player
Klipsch Heresy speakers

The Mcintosh, speakers and the turntable I've had since the early 80's
Awesome sound

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Troyh said:
Brhythem,
I using a NAD turntable too. Is yours the one with the graphite arm? That's the one I have.

I've a couple of Bang and Olfson (spelling) tables waiting in the wings, along with about 6 Technics tables.

Paradigm speakers, along with mid 80's Boston Acoustics, Klipsch in reserve....
No, I don't believe it's graphite. It's basically a Rega P-1 that says NAD on it.

switchfootfreak

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am not much of an audiophile but right now i have ok stuff. A newer sony reciever and sony usb turntable that i just got for christmas. I just run it through two Infinity studio monitors. It sounds nice to me.

VirCotto

Forum Dork
Reaction score
Vintage in audio gear too :)
Linn Sondek turntable with Akito arm, Linn K5 cartridge... Marantz integrated 1160 amplifier, Telefunken TLX-3 4-way speakers, Tandberg TD-20A reel-to-reel.

And a home theater, Thomson amp, Philips 36" LCD, JBL Control 1 speakers, Genelec sub and a Sony PS3.

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
VirCotto said:
Vintage in audio gear too :)
Linn Sondek turntable with Akito arm, Linn K5 cartridge... Marantz integrated 1160 amplifier, Telefunken TLX-3 4-way speakers, Tandberg TD-20A reel-to-reel.

And a home theater, Thomson amp, Philips 36" LCD, JBL Control 1 speakers, Genelec sub and a Sony PS3.
Hey...you're really into "golden-eared" audiophilia! :D

Still have my 1973 Linn Sondel LP-12 topped with an ET-2 air bearing tone arm (with extra "wand" or arm) too, but seldom use it anymore. Still have loads of LPs, though.

Always wanted a TD-20A deck; was (and is) a real nice open reel machine, Congrats!... :occasion5:

-elcid

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
K.O. said:
...plus a Scully studio 2 track reel to reel, all mounted in two metal 7' racks.

I have a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's for speakers with two Dalquist Subs too (bi-amped).

Never quite could afford the true high end stuff like Macintosh though and now my hearing has gone enough where it wouldn't be worth it anyway.
Does the open reel deck do 15 ips too? Am sure it does. They were real good, beautifully crafted machines, and in their day pros used them a lot. Are you still able to obtain blank tapes for it?

I remember them Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers; I think they where the first transducing model to address the "time alignment" theory (as per Richard Heyser...RIP). They too date back to the 70s, I believe.

Current MacIntosh gear is not anywhere near quality of the old stuff (highly sought after by audiophile aficionados, by the way; a lot of that stuff was snatched by Japanese audiophiles years ago...like much of other older US made audio components and speakers). Way overpriced imho...

-elcid

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
elcid said:
K.O. said:
...plus a Scully studio 2 track reel to reel, all mounted in two metal 7' racks.

I have a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's for speakers with two Dalquist Subs too (bi-amped).

Never quite could afford the true high end stuff like Macintosh though and now my hearing has gone enough where it wouldn't be worth it anyway.
Does the open reel deck do 15 ips too? Am sure it does. They were real good, beautifully crafted machines, and in their day pros used them a lot. Are you still able to obtain blank tapes for it?

-elcid
The Scully does do 15ips although it has some "issues" with one of the recording amps which keeps me from utilizing it much. Scully's were second only to Ampex as studio decks back in the day and a lot of big hits were either recorded or mastered (or both) on Scully decks. There was an eight track Scully on ebay just before Christmas. It was pick-up only in Chicago with a $50 opening bid. I did bid on it hoping to get it cheap (although with no real need to have it) but at the very end it shot up to around $800 (probably still a "deal" for someone).

I think you still can get 1/4" open reel tape but I haven't tried for years...not since I got into recording on minidiscs (which themselves can be hard to find).

I've also got a couple of Teacs, a tascam or two, an Akai 747, and even an old Berlant Concertone from the 50's (all tube 15ips). Reel to reels are cool but a lot of hassle compared to the newer digital formats...tough to beat that analog sound though.

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
K.O. said:
The Scully does do 15ips although it has some "issues" with one of the recording amps which keeps me from utilizing it much. Scully's were second only to Ampex as studio decks back in the day and a lot of big hits were either recorded or mastered (or both) on Scully decks. There was an eight track Scully on ebay just before Christmas. It was pick-up only in Chicago with a $50 opening bid. I did bid on it hoping to get it cheap (although with no real need to have it) but at the very end it shot up to around $800 (probably still a "deal" for someone).

I've also got a couple of Teacs, a tascam or two, an Akai 747, and even an old Berlant Concertone from the 50's (all tube 15ips). Reel to reels are cool but a lot of hassle compared to the newer digital formats...tough to beat that analog sound though.
I figure it does, but won't hurt to ask. :) Too bad about the recording amp not working properly, though.

My Technics 6 head, bi-directional 10 1/2" open reel deck has some issues too, but need to resolve them somehow so I can transfer some live recordings I made many years ago onto DAT for archival purposes.
And darn it...not long ago a good friend of mine had a real neat Ampex deck (on an stand with wheels and separate electronics) which I wanted badly, but before I had the chance to offer him some cash he had sold it already.
Recently bought one of them Sony digital recorders with built-mics and all that, but have yet learn how to use it; not an easy as working with analog open reel recorders used to be, that's for sure!...

-elcid

dave11772

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not exactly stae of the art for back in the day, but for me more nostalgic. I always liked :

Garrard Zero 100 turntables
Macintosh or Harmon Kardon receivers
KLH or AR speakers

Latest posts