Audix Micro-D Mics

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Hey All,

Well after losing my beloved mic bag with my five Shure Beta 98's (ouch), I bit the bullet and decided to try a less expensive mic. After all, we play clubs and casuals for criminey sake! I've read some good reviews on them. I've been recently using my gtr players Sennheiser 421's (fine mics of course, but wayyy too bulky). I'd gotten used to the clips of the Shures onto the drums rim.

The Audix Micro-D's fit that bill. Small condenser mics. The mic is preconnected to its cable so that is one less thing to go bad I guess. So, what's included is the mic and cable, the mount, and foam and a small transducer that connects to an XLR cable.

The sound is very similar to the Shure's. I'm no techie but I could hear no difference in sound. The best thing is I picked them up new for $159 each (I bought three). The Shures go for $199 at their cheapest price.

Lugwid

User of Agop Cymbals!
Reaction score
I prefer the micro D over the shures. I like the shures for their tour ready build but anything is tour ready if you take care of it. I have used these quite a bit and like them they are light and unobtrusive, their sound is full and honest too.

Man, dan you have green sparkles now? Wow, I must really be busy at this new job!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Lugwid said:
I prefer the micro D over the shures. I like the shures for their tour ready build but anything is tour ready if you take care of it. I have used these quite a bit and like them they are light and unobtrusive, their sound is full and honest too.

Man, dan you have green sparkles now? Wow, I must really be busy at this new job!
Yeah, I couldn't resist Mike Fry's offer. Sold my Fibes kit to do it.

HHammerHeadD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I for one, like the style of the mic. It is small, and being a condensor mic, it would be a powerful tool to enhance the sound. I like your mounting system also. Are these anything compareable to the Audio-technics AT2020? both are condensors, but the Audix look just a shade smaller in size which is cool.
I see the Audix, ADX-90 and they look very similar to what is in the picture...CEPT FOR THE MOUNT
And while on the issue of comparibility, I was also looking at the Beta 98DS condenser... but with twice the cost, almost, You probly done good, cuz, whatever gets the job done for you, and your satisfactory choice of them is all that count, when buying gear. I wish MF would group drum mics with the drums, makes it hard comparing. yOu know? Oh well. They are small. I think thats a good thing.
ENJOY DAN.....

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about mics but I was looking into the Audix D2 and D4 for tom mics. They are dynamic mics. The micro D is a condenser mic. What differences / advantages /disadvantages would I see between the dynamic and the condenser for tom mics?

Kevin OConnor

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rufus T Firefly said:
I don't know a lot about mics but I was looking into the Audix D2 and D4 for tom mics. They are dynamic mics. The micro D is a condenser mic. What differences / advantages /disadvantages would I see between the dynamic and the condenser for tom mics?
Audix ADX-90 Clip-on Condenser Microphone Specifications:

* Transducer type: condenser (pre-polarized)
* Frequency response: 50Hz-18kHz
* Polar pattern: cardioid
* Output impedance: 250 ohms
* Open circuit sensitivity: 5mV (ref 1k @ 1Pa)
* Power requirements: 9-52V phantom
* Maximum SPL: 135dB
* Cable connector: gold-plated XLR-M
* Polarity: Positive voltage on pin 2 relative to pin 3
* Weight: 6 oz.
* Finish: black e-coat

For me the mount is better and the hyper cardoid versus cardoid pattern is better for limiting mike bleed ! My 2 cents! What do you folks think?

Lugwid

User of Agop Cymbals!
Reaction score
One of the major limitations to the micro condensers are they can be destroyed by the whack of a stick. The Shures are much more durable in this regard, but if you are a sensible player you shouldnt worry too much about this. I love the smaller mics, you can hardly see them and they dont weigh down the rack tom and suck tone out of the drum. With the Micro D's you could replace the capsule if something happens or the mount should it break, where as the 90's you would have to replace the whole mic since the mount is integrated. Also the Micro's have better shock mounting prehaps allowing the wider pattern. In a pinch they do a good job at allowing cymbal bleed. I have used one on my ride before too, upside down underneath.

Blah blah, there are my .02 for the the moment.

HHammerHeadD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have tried those clipon mics once. and I got an impact sound, is this normal, or should have I run the mics through a limiter before the rack mixer? now I just use separate stands for recording, and don't bother with the clip on''s > I havnt really learned the art of this subject so if I sound dumb, I am. Pullin no punches, but, the sound sucks from the clip on mics. that I have tried.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rufus T Firefly said:

One thing to consider is that condenser mics require a power source where dynamics do not. Most modern mixing boards are set up to provide this power through the mic cable (called phantom power) and there are also outboard units available to provide phantom power. Not a big deal but just something to be aware of if you're mic shopping. If your mixer doesn't already have phantom built in then there will be some added expense if you want to use condensers.

The D2 and D4 are good sounding drum mics too.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
K.O. said:
Rufus T Firefly said:

One thing to consider is that condenser mics require a power source where dynamics do not. Most modern mixing boards are set up to provide this power through the mic cable (called phantom power) and there are also outboard units available to provide phantom power. Not a big deal but just something to be aware of if you're mic shopping.

The D2 and D4 are good sounding drum mics too.

Right you are KO. Phantom power is necessary. Never an issue with the boards I've worked with...

Lugwid

User of Agop Cymbals!
Reaction score
In the case of worrying about phantom power just pick up the Behringer Ultra DI pro for around 80.00 and you can just run through that for your phantom power. 8 channels of phantom power

L300burn

Reaction score
If anyone sees this you are a true Time Traveler!!

NDdrummer13

Reaction score
I used Micro-D for a long time. They worked really well and I couldnt hear a difference live. In studio mic of choice is Sennheiser 421. They could make milk cartons sound good

dsop

Reaction score
Dynamics like D2 or D4 will be more directional, whereas condensers like the Micro-D will pick up more cymbals and off axis stuff. Great mics, but I've been opting for dynamic mics on toms for a while now.

Latest posts