Augmenting a Yamaha EAD10...

Vetdrummer1

Reaction score
Good Sunday morning my fellow drummers. I have a Yamaha EAD10 and really like it, but as everyone knows, it does have it's limitations. Mainly, IMO is the "coverage" aspect of it being a one mic system. I play 3 up and one down, and the unit has difficulty picking up my 10" rack tom that is farthest away from the module. In addition the floor tom sound/volume is not where I would like it to be. This issue has been kicking around in my brain for awhile now, and I have been trying to come up with alternative, and one may say "out of the box" ideas and work arounds for this. I really don't want to go the full kit mic up route with all the variables, challenges, and especially the cost associated with it.

After spending a few hours researching on the computer of what I could possibly use to just augment the EAD10, this is what I'm thinking about trying. Thinking about adding a small mixer to the equation. I am looking at either a Pyle PMXU83BT or a Yamaha MG10. The biggest difference between the two is that the Pyle has nonpowered inputs, where as the Yamaha has preamps for the inputs. They both have four XLR/mic inputs, so one of those would have to be dedicated to receive the input from the EAD10's bass drum module, and the other 3 could be used for a couple of mics to address the "peripheral" issues with the EAD10, and possibly maybe an overhead...? So, my train of thought would be after plugging in the main unit and any other additional mics, I would then plug the mixer into the EAD10's mic input via the stereo output on either unit, and go from there and see if it works or not. My main concern is if I went with the nonpowered Pyle unit, will the EAD10 be able to efficiently handle the additional draw on it's power, or just go with the pre-amped Yamaha MG10?

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to do this as of yet, so I would welcome any and all suggestions, and or recommendations. I thank you in advance....

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Think the topic has been touched on in a few spots, good luck

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good Sunday morning my fellow drummers. I have a Yamaha EAD10 and really like it, but as everyone knows, it does have it's limitations. Mainly, IMO is the "coverage" aspect of it being a one mic system. I play 3 up and one down, and the unit has difficulty picking up my 10" rack tom that is farthest away from the module. In addition the floor tom sound/volume is not where I would like it to be. This issue has been kicking around in my brain for awhile now, and I have been trying to come up with alternative, and one may say "out of the box" ideas and work arounds for this. I really don't want to go the full kit mic up route with all the variables, challenges, and especially the cost associated with it.

After spending a few hours researching on the computer of what I could possibly use to just augment the EAD10, this is what I'm thinking about trying. Thinking about adding a small mixer to the equation. I am looking at either a Pyle PMXU83BT or a Yamaha MG10. The biggest difference between the two is that the Pyle has nonpowered inputs, where as the Yamaha has preamps for the inputs. They both have four XLR/mic inputs, so one of those would have to be dedicated to receive the input from the EAD10's bass drum module, and the other 3 could be used for a couple of mics to address the "peripheral" issues with the EAD10, and possibly maybe an overhead...? So, my train of thought would be after plugging in the main unit and any other additional mics, I would then plug the mixer into the EAD10's mic input via the stereo output on either unit, and go from there and see if it works or not. My main concern is if I went with the nonpowered Pyle unit, will the EAD10 be able to efficiently handle the additional draw on it's power, or just go with the pre-amped Yamaha MG10?

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to do this as of yet, so I would welcome any and all suggestions, and or recommendations. I thank you in advance....
The EAD mic input won’t accept a stereo line in, and the EAD bass drum mic unit can’t be plugged into other mixers. If you wanted to do this, you’d need to run the additional mics totally separate to the EAD. Run the mics into a mixer (you’d need a mixer with preamps - and phantom power if you’re using condenser overheads), and run the stereo out of the EAD10 into two channels on the mixer. You wouldn’t be able to get any of ead10 processing on the additional mics, but you’d at least have sound reinforcement (including monitoring via the mixer headphone out)

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had this same issue with the EAD and three rack toms. Two toms over the bass drum and one closer to the hi hat. The small tom didn't get picked up too well by the EAD. I ended up buying a mixer and an overhead mic that I could position more appropriately to pick up all the toms.
EAD works for you typical 1 or 2 rack toms, and 1 floor tom layout. When you start adding more drums, the EAD starts to have trouble picking up everything.

Vetdrummer1

Reaction score
I had this same issue with the EAD and three rack toms. Two toms over the bass drum and one closer to the hi hat. The small tom didn't get picked up too well by the EAD. I ended up buying a mixer and an overhead mic that I could position more appropriately to pick up all the toms.
EAD works for you typical 1 or 2 rack toms, and 1 floor tom layout. When you start adding more drums, the EAD starts to have trouble picking up everything.
Hector, thank you for your advice. I had a feeling that I would need to go that route, (mixer and mics), to achieve what I wanted to get for sound out of my drums for recording purposes. Ordered a Yamaha MG16XU mixer and some Shure mics. The Yamaha was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it has everything I want and need. Thanks again...

Last edited:

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can adjust the coverage of the mics in the EAD10 sensor. You might be able to find a setting that works for you.