Austin Craigs List - Not mine but a great Gretsch Deal

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just saw this complete, 1 owner mid-60s Gretsch 12,14,20 + mint supra + Ludwig hardware + Zildjian A's........ on NJ CL sell for $1750. Nice deal. Spent some time talking with the owner on it.

Gretsch 1.jpg
Gretsch wmp 2.jpg

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know.. I'm thinking about it..
One more tom would that into a killer funk/jazz/Elvin/Purdie/rock/Harvey Mason kit. As it is it's traditional.
I have it, in satin rosewood the 14x18 bass there (exact down to the excellent spurs), 10x12/9x10/12x14/ which I installed all the mounts making the 12x14 the floor. So I feel 1 more tom- find the 8x10 (you won't find a 9x13) 8x10 or 9x10 turns that into a funk jazz rock monster. The best. Compact easy to pack and carry violin symphonic tone quality. end of an era USA in the badge sheeeit. only neg would be seems the satin orange didn't hold up as well as the red rosewood.

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just saw this complete, 1 owner mid-60s Gretsch 12,14,20 + mint supra + Ludwig hardware + Zildjian A's........ on NJ CL sell for $1750. Nice deal. Spent some time talking with the owner on it.

View attachment 415290View attachment 415291
Now THAT is a good deal. Perfect jazz sizes, beautiful finish, great snare, decent hardware, and included Zildjian cymbals. Those should sell in a flash.

Just my opinion, of course, but I've never understood the logic behind Gretsch and their short foray into using gun-metal gray on their drum hardware. I'm sure it holds up just fine, but that is UGLY.

GeeDeeEmm

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now THAT is a good deal. Perfect jazz sizes, beautiful finish, great snare, decent hardware, and included Zildjian cymbals. Those should sell in a flash.

GeeDeeEmm
Asking price was $2000-$2200. You would have thought they'd sell in a flash. Lingered around for a couple of weeks. And from the seller's comments to me, probably went to a reseller with intent of parting it out.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Asking price was $2000-$2200. You would have thought they'd sell in a flash. Lingered around for a couple of weeks. And from the seller's comments to me, probably went to a reseller with intent of parting it out.
Doesn't surprise me. It's just a fact of life that once a kit - any kit - passes the $1000 range, the pool of buyers dries up significantly. Shame.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just my opinion, of course, but I've never understood the logic behind Gretsch and their short foray into using gun-metal gray on their drum hardware. I'm sure it holds up just fine, but that is UGLY.

GeeDeeEmm
They had a warehouse full of hardware with flaking chrome. Their answer was to paint these parts with that gray industrial texture paint so they could use them anyway.

The current imported lugs and hoops used on the USA stuff is actually plated much better than the old "made in USA" hardware which had a tendency to flake.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
That makes them (the gunmetal finish) sound bad or inferior. They are smooth, even, and in 11 + years (of ownership) no sign of any change or nothing. Need nothing but dusting; show no fingerprints; don't need polished; won't dull (haven't)...I could go on.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know, perhaps there is bare zinc under the paint but the story at the time the Broadkasters were introduced was as I stated above, Supposedly the reason it was that textured industrial style paint was precisely because it would stick to chrome. This is also why there is usually a mix of both gunmetal and chrome parts on these sets. A review in one of the drum magazines of the time mentioned that, wondering why they didn't make all the hardware matching "gunmetal". The mix of gray and chrome bothered that particular reviewer. Apparently they only put the gunmetal on parts they had that were either not quite up to snuff, plating-wise, or perhaps not plated at all.

This would not imply that these drums were of any lesser quality. Gretsch merely found a way to use up some parts with cosmetic issues. That, coupled with the satin style finishes, let them sell the Broadkaster series for a bit less than the USA Custom stuff.

I know from personal experience that the chrome plating from that era left something to be desired. The modern stuff seems on par with everyone else's chrome but the plating on the older pre-2000 parts doesn't seem to hold up as well, or perhaps I'm just unlucky.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah I don't want to argue with it story seems to come from what Tommy said in 2012 https://www.drumforum.org/threads/any-gretsch-broadkaster-players-out-there.73265/

"First and foremost, it's important to realize that you can't powder coat over chrome. The powder coating won't stick to the chrome. In order to do the job properly, you must strip the chrome surface off of the parts and then apply the powder coating."

you got this ^ you got that..>
you have all type of raw, black, blue sparkle, hoop (from himrony) on ebay..

tom brackets and the post bracket- (large pieces) were gunmetal. Wouldn't expect the spurs or tom post or floor tom legs or tension rods ...to be..
A review in one of the drum magazines of the time mentioned that, wondering why they didn't make all the hardware matching "gunmetal". The mix of gray and chrome bothered (!!) that particular reviewer.
Maybe if some gunmetal Broadkaster drum rim or bracket or lug sheds a big sheet of powder coating maybe an answer will reveal itself.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not a big deal, I just remember that the reviewer (I don't recall if it was MD or Rhythm magazine) was bothered because some of the tom mounting parts were chrome instead of gunmetal.

Is that definitely powder coat (plastic powder electrostatically applied then fused together in an oven)? I was under the impression it was a type of paint. I have seen the same finish on store fixtures. Generally the point of a textured finish like a hammertone paint, or "wrinkle" paint is to cut down on prep time. The texture hides minor imperfections so minimal prep is required.

Looks like it is a powder coating.

Although you can come close with a spray can

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I never said it was powder coat someone else did. I just question chrome is underneath I don't care what it is all I know mine are perfect- there's one thumbprint like someone touched it early on one rim of the 10 but I consider that a beauty mark

To me if you afford yourself one new Gretsch set in a lifetime you've kinda hit the end of the road or top of the flagpole - they're 50 year sets- one's enough; still have one older RB set - but it can't compete; so figure being Lucky once is plenty

Last edited:

edge

Reaction score
All I know is I have had probably 15 Gretsch kits pass through my hands in my lifetime, there are 4 kits that in my mind were hands down the best of the best, one of them was a Broadkaster bop kit from this era. what a mistake letting it go... it smoked every round badge kit I ever owned. don't know if it is the satin oil finish, the powder coated hoops or what, those drums just breathed and would not choke at any tuning and at any level. a friend of mine who had a kit concurs that there is indeed something special about the drums. I am wanting to try out a new kit in satin oil, I think that is part of the magic

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers here. Someone simply asked why Gretsch put that gunmetal hardware on drums and I provided an answer. Certainly the Broadkaster series drums were top notch and I'd love to have a set. The set in question here would be a perfect addition to my collection but I already have four USA Custom sets and three RB sets ( plus a SSB and a Renown) so I can't really justify another Gretsch set, no matter how nice.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't recall the exact original source but that is what I heard or read at the time these were first introduced. I had heard/read/knew that well before I ever participated in online drum forums. Tommy's recollection apparently backs that up although I had learned of it elsewhere years before. I imagine Tommy got that information first hand. I talked to him a few times in person and he always seemed to have the inside scoop on all things having to do with modern Gretsch. He is sorely missed around here.

Perhaps the parts didn't have poor chrome (although that was seemingly a common problem at the time) but rather couldn't be (or weren't) plated for whatever reason. Same basic story, Gretsch found a way to use them up and in an attractive manner. Almost like they took a page from the Ludwigs, who never let anything go to waste.

Latest posts