Autumn Leaves on a Zoom q8

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
A video shot on a Zoom q8.
A very minimal way to record over a track. Lap top playing the track connects to the q8 (headphone jack of lap top to xlr input of q8). Shure in-ears from the q8.

Comments and ideas to improve welcome.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For some reason I never thought to output the headphone jack back into the Q8N. I typically record the drums while listening through headphones and then mix the Q8N and track together in Studio or GB. The Keropes and kit sound nice. Thanks for sharing.

REF

Reaction score
Nice touch.

Are you just using the Q8 mics or others? What volume setting did you use? I find that somewhat tricky on my Q8. Either too much or just not quite enough.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
Nice touch.

Are you just using the Q8 mics or others? What volume setting did you use? I find that somewhat tricky on my Q8. Either too much or just not quite enough.
I used the q8 on board mics and one addition mic. All I have is an inexpensive vocal mix, so I set that up a few inches from the bass drum resonant head.

I will have to check on the exact volume level, but basically I set the track volume first. Then the other 2 were set to look about the same on the q 8 screen.

A big help is the ability to set the headphone output from the q8 independently of the rest of the levels. I can play the track a little louder in the in ears, but it doesnt sound louder in the mix.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whew! The cymbals sound wonderful. Those are keepers, buddy.

My only "criticisms" would be that (a) the hihat cymbals are too close together to produce a loud enough chick to be as prominent as they should be, and (b) you're not hitting the tom loud enough so that it is equal in volume to the rest of the kit. That's it.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts