Aux. Percussion...

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm looking to stock up on some auxillary percussion. Shakers, tambourine, sleigh bells etc...
Amazon's first results are usually Meinl brand. Does anyone have any experience with them?
If you have some of these instruments in other brands, which do you like or would you recommend before meinl's options?
Thanks!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Unless you are getting an endorsement you do not need to limit yourself to just one brand of anything. Meinl makes good stuff, but so does LP, Gong Bop, and every other brand out there.

As far as sleigh bells go, some of the best ones I've heard are actually a set of cheapo CP Percussion bells. Otherwise look in antique stores for some of the best sounding sleigh bells. No major percussion company really makes a good sounding set.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a low end Meinl tambourine mounted up for fun, I like it but suggest getting the higher end models with the hammered jingles.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...make noise with noise makers
Yes!

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig makes (made?) great sleighbells too.
Meinl and LP are probably the two major leaders but Gon Bops, Toca, Rhythmtec and others all make good stuff too. Tycoon stuff is alright as well.
As always, the best thing is to let your ears decide - if possible see if you can get to a store where you can compare different models or brands. And, like drums or cymbals, no need (other than financial) to limit yourself to one of something - I have 7 tambourines (more if you count riqs and pandeiros) and each one sounds a bit different, and they work in different contexts. Same with blocks, bells, shakers (oh so many shakers) etc etc.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Others have covered this well. Hand percussion "toys" are very subjective, what works for me in my situation may not work for you. Latin Percussion, Meinl, Rhythm Tech, Gon Bops, Tycoon, and Pearl all make good pieces. From 2010 to 2013 I worked a lot more as a hand percussionist than I did as a drummer. I found that I really had to play each instrument for myself. I still do a decent amount of hand percussion work, have fun with it.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Mienl (?) water triangle...which is very well built (bought used off ebay...I think it was used)...I also have a talking drum that I think they made...it used regular heads. I bought it with a cracked hoop. When I couldn't fix it I took it to a guy locally who rebuilt it for traditional skins and such. He was impressed with the shell though.

FWIW-I have a pair of 10" Toca Fiberglass djembes which use standard heads and are great with kits IMO.

Stickclick

Reaction score
I prefer to listen to local bands and hear what they are using. If I like the sound then I inquire what brand it is and where they got it. It's all about the sound.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have mostly LP, but also have other stuff. RhythmTech makes a DST tambourine with a mount and it's way cheaper than the LP Cyclops. Everyone makes cowbells - I just go by sound. As for plastic bells/blocks, LP's sound the best. Meinl's various stuff is okay, too (only have played them; never owned any). Cheaper/generic brands don't sound/sustain as well......

For example, I have a generic tambourine with crappy, thin nickel jingles that sounds dead. The DST chings, is more durable and blows it away.

mikesdrums

Drummer
Reaction score
I have dozens of hand percussion items and am always collecting more. Here are my favorites:

Meinl Luis Conte shakers, for sitting in the mix really nicely
Schlagwerk Double Shaker, for a crisp, staccato sound that's easy to control
Rhythm Tech Live shaker for a big sound that cuts through without being harsh
LP Softshake and LP Shake-it for shaker sounds that sound "right" because they're so familiar
LP One Shots for short, controlled sounds

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess it's not really a hi-jack but where would one get a traditional "goat hoof" or "goat nail" shaker? All I can find a random bracelets/anklets on eBay. Is that what people are using? I'm looking for something small to go on my hats.

Tanabata

Reaction score
I guess it's not really a hi-jack but where would one get a traditional "goat hoof" or "goat nail" shaker? All I can find a random bracelets/anklets on eBay. Is that what people are using? I'm looking for something small to go on my hats.
Try SteveWeissMusic

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try SteveWeissMusic
Thanks! I had already tried Steve Weiss but I guess I was looking under the wrong category. I went back and looked under "ethnic" I believe it was and found a bunch of stuff.

Latest posts